The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread - Page 151
Close

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; My son is home from Alaska to officiate my daughter's wedding on Sunday. He had to meet with a church yesterday about 120 miles from ...

Page 151 of 205 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2047
Like Tree654Likes

Thread: The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

My son is home from Alaska to officiate my daughter's wedding on Sunday. He had to meet with a church yesterday about 120 miles from my house. The weather was great so we borrowed the GL1100 that he sold to a friend thinking it would be a good opportunity to get a ride in. About 40 miles into the trip I glanced in my mirror just in time to see him exiting I-85. I motored down to the next exit and called him, the bike had started sputtering. He made it to a QT station and the bike quit. So I headed over to him thinking about what could be wrong. He had plenty of fuel so I was thinking it must be an electrical issue. I pull into the QT and find him squatting next to the bike with the side cover off. Sure enough the alternator connection had deteriorated and one of the wires had broken. Of course we didn't have any tools and gas stations these days aren't what they used to be. So we bought the only thing that resembled a tool. A pair of nail clippers and a roll of duct tape. Twenty minutes later we were back on the road. Made it to our destination and home again without any problems.

And yes, if you're wondering, we will get the proper connector and repair it correctly. But it's a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    I made a sanding area/spray booth for small stuff from an old range hood that did the trick as well. If you get one with a light in it, all the better. Just build a little booth under it. Use some flex vent from a cloths drier out the window or into a 5 gallon pail with a couple furnace filters over the top. Got the idea when I used to airbrush lexan slot car bodies.
    I used your suggestion for the range hood, but using it over the welding table. Just picked up a decent used one of $20. It has a light and two 2 speed fans. With both fans on high the barometer upstairs will probably drop. The thing moves air.
    Stephen J likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    I used your suggestion for the range hood, but using it over the welding table. Just picked up a decent used one of $20. It has a light and two 2 speed fans. With both fans on high the barometer upstairs will probably drop. The thing moves air.
    Awesome, I've been waiting for the day I had useful input.
    Mark Burton likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    Awesome, I've been waiting for the day I had useful input.
    That would be a strange feeling. I hope to rise to your level some day. Thanks again.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Shovelled out a spot for the table, installed the fan, hooked up a 220V welding receptacle, ordered new welding gloves and TIG fingers. (Figured my giant stick welding gauntlets weren't going to cut it). Still need to bolt a vice on the bench, build the TIG cart and add a few things to the bench. I figure at this pace, I should have the welder fired up by spring.

Name:  Welding table.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  102.5 KB
    Stephen J likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

[QUOTE=nic579;583498]Love mine. It could use more attention but it functions.

So whatdaya think? The brides cousin has a kid with a vinyl wrap business, so thought about that, but other than an addition of a handle, it's probably best if I spend the time and money honing my welding skills.
    Made room for two tanks just in case. The dog will be confused. The most time consuming part was cleaning out the drawers of the old tool box. It was packed with all of the "some day I'm going to use that" stuff.

Name:  TIG Cart.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  132.9 KBName:  TIG Cart2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  140.4 KB
    "Non urinat in ventum"

[QUOTE=Cyorg;584849]
    Quote Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
    Love mine. It could use more attention but it functions.

So whatdaya think? The brides cousin has a kid with a vinyl wrap business, so thought about that, but other than an addition of a handle, it's probably best if I spend the time and money honing my welding skills.
    Made room for two tanks just in case. The dog will be confused. The most time consuming part was cleaning out the drawers of the old tool box. It was packed with all of the "some day I'm going to use that" stuff.

Name:  TIG Cart.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  132.9 KBName:  TIG Cart2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  140.4 KB
    I had to laugh because I have a roll away tool box with maybe 10% of it's contents actual tools of some sort. I've decided at my age that all the "some day I'm going to use that" stuff isn't going to get used and will end up in the trash, even though it might be usable, because I just don't have the time with dealing with it. I need to get all the tools consolidated into one area. It's going to be a major job and a good part of a day.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

[QUOTE=Cyorg;584849]
    Quote Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
    Love mine. It could use more attention but it functions.

So whatdaya think?
    Deluxe, one thing mine is missing are drawers for consumables. What are you using for tungsten dressing?

[QUOTE=o1marc;584865]
    I had to laugh because I have a roll away tool box with maybe 10% of it's contents actual tools of some sort. I've decided at my age that all the "some day I'm going to use that" stuff isn't going to get used and will end up in the trash, even though it might be usable, because I just don't have the time with dealing with it. I need to get all the tools consolidated into one area. It's going to be a major job and a good part of a day.
    You know you will hate yourself in the morning. A few weeks ago I did some purging in the shed... had some old crappy roof racks and decided to keep the cross bars (1' square tube) , but tossed the mounts. Turns out the mounts would have been a perfect way to attach some of that tubing to the welding cart for a push bar.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

[QUOTE=nic579;584873]

Deluxe, one thing mine is missing are drawers for consumables. What are you using for tungsten dressing?
    I have a couple of bench grinders, but they get abused and doubt if I could train myself to keep a dedicated clean wheel. Thinking of setting this up (it obviously doesn't get used much) and using it in combination with a drill to hold the tungsten.

Was just out picking up my Tillman gloves (way better than the giant stick welding gloves I have) and a couple of TIG fingers. I have to head out on a short voyage to pick up a Commando gearbox but next week I hope to spend a few hours just playing and running beads on scrap. When I picked up the metal for the cart, they let me do some dumpster diving in the aluminum bin. Going to start with aluminum and if that goes ok, I'll take a stab with silicon bronze. Might just get fed a large slice of humble pie, but WTF.

Name:  Belt sander.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  66.3 KB
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Sponsored Links