The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread - Page 155
Close

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; just finished refurbishing these works piggies they are off to canada to go on a #21 replica this image is before i settled on a ...

Page 155 of 205 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2047
Like Tree654Likes

Thread: The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

just finished refurbishing these works piggies
    they are off to canada to go on a #21 replica Name:  IMG_0249.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  4.64 MB
    Name:  IMG_0249.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  4.64 MBthis image is before i settled on a final preload configuration

in my pusher tester getting ready to observe and set the location of the crossover event in travelName:  IMG_0241.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  4.58 MB

Name:  IMG_0086.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  4.81 MB
    pushing onto scales testing different spring combos
    using scaled weighgs data rear wheel with rider and without ,unspfung weight and the SLR swingarm leverage ratio
    i can test a spring combo that thru my calculations should be suitable for at least test riding
    on this particular kz1000 elr each shock is supporting actual weight of about 120 lbs each without rider
    with rider another 100lbs per shock
    so set some preload and then push to 120 on scale ok i get 1/2'' travel that is in a decently good place for no rider sag
    then push to 220 i get or did get with that final combo about 1-1/4'' t5ravel thats abot 30% of what the total sghock travel is
    and this method absolutely works the sags i get in the shop are same when as bolted onto bike as long as data from buyer is reasonably accurate
    finally then as shown at the begining is the setting up of crossover which i cannot know what really is the ideal locatiion but just use some judgemant
    on this elr i set crossover to happen with about 1/3 travel remaining
    initial calculations told me a 135 lb straight rate single spring would be suitable
    with dual rate we start low end high
    i was asked to not make it mushy i figured something like 120/150 may be good
    that is the dual rate with those final red/blue springs
    the shorty is 480lb rate the long one 150lb rate
    the 2 springs in stack make 120 rate
    Last edited by XB33BSA; 01-06-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Interesting stuff and I may have even learned something . Had to tilt my head and squint but still. Your average rider has no Idea what goes into the "springy" thing under there ass.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Took some time to knock out another watercolor. It sort of looks like my Z1... need more practice (dogs are easier than motorcycles).

Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

[QUOTE=Hoofhearted;586985]Christmas came early this year. Godden GR500. Be making a space for it in the garage today and start getting ready for El Mirage and Bonneville next year.

- - - Updated - - -

So have you drummed up the courage to peek inside that thing yet?
    Tanshanomi likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Registered for endurance racing this beast on March 24th at a nifty fifty gathering. I can feel the pain already.

Name:  FAB9224D-57F5-480A-8432-880C6993C4E3.jpeg
Views: 117
Size:  112.6 KB
    Tanshanomi, DesmoDog and Andyshep like this.

I'm tearing down my workbench in the basement and packing all my tools and bike parts into one corner so that we can have all the original cast iron drain pipes from 1957 ripped out of our house and replaced with ABS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    I'm tearing down my workbench in the basement and packing all my tools and bike parts into one corner so that we can have all the original cast iron drain pipes from 1957 ripped out of our house and replaced with ABS.
    Is there no way you can repair the old cast iron?
    There is a reason its lasted 61 years out in the open. Seems a shame to replace it with something inferior and terrible for the environment....

Quote Originally Posted by miniman View Post
    Is there no way you can repair the old cast iron?
    There is a reason its lasted 61 years out in the open. Seems a shame to replace it with something inferior and terrible for the environment....
    No way. The pipes are literally rusting clean through. We've been on borrowed time for at least 20-25 years. The only reason the whole system has lasted this long is that most of the leaks were either (semi-successfully) epoxied at some point, or self-sealed with rust. There are big rust stains below the pipes where the worst drips are.

EDIT: According to our plumber (whom we trust), cast iron is usually reliable for about 30-40 years. While they can last 75 years or more, they're rarely trouble-free that long.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 01-31-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Sponsored Links