The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread - Page 172
Close

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Who ever wired the Aux. power jack and lights on the GS I bought was high at the time. Tore it all out and started ...

Page 172 of 199 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 1988
Like Tree630Likes

Thread: The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

Who ever wired the Aux. power jack and lights on the GS I bought was high at the time. Tore it all out and started from scratch. It's all done now except for termination to power. I have the aux.power jack, aux. lights, and a heated seat to terminate. Any suggestions on the safest most effective way to do this? Given my shit memory they'll need to be switched. Cheers.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    ... Any suggestions on the safest most effective way to do this? Given my shit memory they'll need to be switched. Cheers.
    Best would probably be to switch through a normally open relay, it can never accidentally be left on & the switch doesn't need to carry a significant current load through a long length of heavy wire.

YEAH ,I KNOW,RIGHT ?
    you want failsafe ? run yer + power for any non keyed acc thru a relay activated by a lanyard switch
    you know the switches they put on personal watercraft atv's hillclimb bikes etc
    nice, have that fucker attached to your riding pants with a brass dogleash clasp dealy
    or a fuckin'anklet if you got a saucy bird riding bitch
    you get the idea
    they are a normally open switch and when activated they kill ign
    but for your use when activated you parking the bike ,see
    yank the chain and switch connects and de-activates a simple relay for all acc power

https://www.google.com/search?q=lany...w=1280&bih=888
    Last edited by XB33BSA; 12-05-2018 at 07:29 AM.
    Stephen J likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by irk_miller View Post
    I've killed two Shorai's. No failsafe. Never buying a Shorai LiFePO4 again. My fault for leaving the light on, but fuck. Never had an Earth X shit the bed, so there's confidence in them.
    There is a procedure, using the Shorai charger, to recover over-discharged Shorai batteries. It works. Unfortunately, I have had to test it.....
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Sitting here with a cup of coffee. Had to go to the DMV to renew my license, Old age requires a vision and written test. Aced both. Feeling happy and relaxed now.
    Stephen J likes this.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    YEAH ,I KNOW,RIGHT ?you want failsafe ? run yer + power for any non keyed acc thru a relay activated by a lanyard switch
    you know the switches they put on personal watercraft atv's hillclimb bikes etcnice, have that fucker attached to your riding pants with a brass dogleash clasp dealy
    or a fuckin'anklet if you got a saucy bird riding bitch you get the idea
    Yea, had one who wore an anklet but every time I took her for a ride it would beep! So anyway, my old Bonnie has almost no wiring. What's there is me and Lucas so..... no wiring haaaaa. That's the extent of my know how. I can properly run and terminate but my - where, why and what's gonna happen is a lil shakey . What I really wanted to do without sounding to stupid (or perhaps it's to late) is install a strip that all three devices can mount to that are controlled by the key without taxing the charging system. Would I be correct to assume my first step is to get a total of the power draw with all 3 on at the same time. Two of them were already installed when I got the bike, the seat came with it but wasn't connected. The aux power has no switch and would be used to keep a GPS or phone charged. The aux lights have a switch on the bars and the seat has a switch on it as well. That still requires me to remember to shut all that shit off after the key. Yea right. So that's my quandary. Hey I just used quandary in a sentence. It's a good day.....

... a strip that all three devices can mount to that are controlled by the key without taxing the charging system. Would I be correct to assume my first step is to get a total of the power draw with all 3 on at the same time. Two of them were already installed when I got the bike, the seat came with it but wasn't connected. The aux power has no switch and would be used to keep a GPS or phone charged. The aux lights have a switch on the bars and the seat has a switch on it as well. That still requires me to remember to shut all that shit off after the key. Yea right. So that's my quandary. Hey I just used quandary in a sentence. It's a good day.....
    Is everything already on fuses?
    Most likely, heater is going to be your highest current draw followed by the lights (probably best to avoid running both those intensely at the same time when the battery is tired), the aux outlet is only limited by the fuse on that circuit. The better your battery is in this scenario, the easier it is going to be on your bikes charging system. I think what you are looking for is actually a little fuse block strip to simplify connections and you could use 2 of those if you want to make one operate only when the bike is running and the other always live, to avoid routing all the power through your ignition switch, that's where you use a little relay between the battery and the fuse block you want live only when she's running, the switching side of the relay can be powered off anything that inherently only powers on when it's running.
    sound simple enough or do we need a wiring diagram.

<- sorta like this
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 12-06-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Yea, had one who wore an anklet but every time I took her for a ride it would beep! So anyway, my old Bonnie has almost no wiring. What's there is me and Lucas so..... no wiring haaaaa. That's the extent of my know how. I can properly run and terminate but my - where, why and what's gonna happen is a lil shakey . What I really wanted to do without sounding to stupid (or perhaps it's to late) is install a strip that all three devices can mount to that are controlled by the key without taxing the charging system. Would I be correct to assume my first step is to get a total of the power draw with all 3 on at the same time. Two of them were already installed when I got the bike, the seat came with it but wasn't connected. The aux power has no switch and would be used to keep a GPS or phone charged. The aux lights have a switch on the bars and the seat has a switch on it as well. That still requires me to remember to shut all that shit off after the key. Yea right. So that's my quandary. Hey I just used quandary in a sentence. It's a good day.....
    her anklet beeped,readhad eg ?love them miss-demeanors, ginger bred lassies oi
    i consider myself willfully ignorant come wiring
    ffs sakes electrons ?i dont really trust shit that you cant see and on top of that symbiotically has smoke as an enabler
    trials rider gets my vote for advice on this
    and ill learn shit following along

meanwhile,,,,,,,, Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post

meanwhile,,,,,,,, Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit
    Hahahahaha funniest fuckin thing ever.

Over the years dealing with locomotives, I have developed some very simple troubleshooting canons. Most of them translate to motorcycle maintenance.....
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  131.9 KB
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Sponsored Links