The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread - Page 179
Close

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; My new exhaust for the GS is arriving today.... two day shipping from japan. Wow....

Page 179 of 199 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 1990
Like Tree632Likes

Thread: The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

My new exhaust for the GS is arriving today.... two day shipping from japan. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

sanding boats

building a new mold for a honda RS125 racing tank
    and built a TZ350 yamaha front fender

Tannermatic
    CaTacL1sm likes this.
    latered

Machined trim rings to retrofit Pontiac Catalina tail lights onto my Volksrod.

Name:  catalina.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  2.15 MB
    jakejensen and monkey like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

So I live on a busy country road where the speed limit is 45mph (but people generally drive 60). There's no shoulder either.
    My neighbor has replaced his mailbox three times due to people clipping it.
    I've been lucky as I haven't had any issues until a few weeks ago. Someones mirror clipped my mailbox and knocked it clean off the post:

I went online and came across this bad bitch:

Its made out of 10ga steel and weighs about 30lbs.

My post is set in concrete and comes about 2.5' out off the ground. This means I'd need to add an extension to it. Not content with just bolting up another section of 4x4, I got some angle iron to reinforce the assembly:

Then I bolted it together and gave it a coat of paint (need to stop by the hardware store and get more bolts).
    Using some 1.5" thick board and 4 x 3" bolts, I secured the mounting board to the post and mounted the beast:

I only fix things once.
    Tanshanomi, XB33BSA and K9Swine like this.
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    I only fix things once.
    Next one to hit it is loosin some shit.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Nice!

Looks like your daring somebody to hit it now.

PSA: Lube your carbs:

My throttle action went from crisp and quick to gummy and slow over about 20 miles. Cables were fine, recently lubed. I disconnected the cables and moved the throttle by hand and found it very hard to actuate. I lubed all the rotating parts up with some WD40 I had on hand and it solved the issue.

Ultrasonic cleaning isn't the be all end all of carb maintenance

PSA: Lube your carbs:

My throttle action went from crisp and quick to gummy and slow over about 20 miles. Cables were fine, recently lubed. I disconnected the cables and moved the throttle by hand and found it very hard to actuate. I lubed all the rotating parts up with some WD40 I had on hand and it solved the issue.

Ultrasonic cleaning isn't the be all end all of carb maintenance
    I'm not sure I get what you're talking about. You shouldn't need to lubricate any part of your carbs. Nylon has a pretty low coefficient of friction, which is why it's commonly used as bearings and for sleeves. Your throttle shafts should be sleeved with nylon. If things are getting gummed up, it's the lubricants that are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by irk_miller View Post
    I'm not sure I get what you're talking about. You shouldn't need to lubricate any part of your carbs. Nylon has a pretty low coefficient of friction, which is why it's commonly used as bearings and for sleeves. Your throttle shafts should be sleeved with nylon. If things are getting gummed up, it's the lubricants that are doing it.
    I'd never lubed them in the past. I cleaned these carbs thoroughly and had them set up properly (to include cable routing). After 20 miles, the throttle was very sticky and resistant to movement. I lubed the linkages and throttle action returned to normal. No other changes were made.

I'd noticed that the choke lever was tough to move as well so I lubed that assembly and everything freed up.

The only theory I have is that I didn't leave them ijn the ultrasonic cleaner long enough. The cleaner loosened gunk and crud on the upper portion of the carbs and allowed it to work it's way in between places. The process of riding allowed this gunk to get worked into areas and seize things up.

This is entirely based on speculation however. As I said before, I'd never lubed these carbs before, but WD40 was able to fix the problem

did you have them completely diassembled
    at least so that no, for example, shaft and bushing partners were still engaged
    and enrichrer circuit plungers removed from carbs
    Last edited by XB33BSA; 03-15-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Sponsored Links