The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread - Page 192
Close

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; tried to start the Ape this am... first try, fail. second try almost, third try seem to start then BANG, and dies. now the starter ...

Page 192 of 205 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 2047
Like Tree654Likes

Thread: The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

jcw
    tried to start the Ape this am...
    first try, fail. second try almost, third try seem to start then BANG, and dies. now the starter just spins and spins.

lol Welcome to SXV ownsrship.
    bahahahaha f uckin ha.

One of these days I'm going to build a roller starter for just such a situation.
    jcw likes this.

jcw
    I would kick start this Mf'er every time if it meant I didn't have to deal with a starter and clutch. Apparently, it fails more than it should.
    And it sounds worse than my 40yo yamaha... on this 10yo bike!

I popped open the case cover and surprise! the intermediate gear between the starter and clutch was not lines up properly. I touch the flywheel nut, and I can spin it off by hand! Then the flywheel just falls off the shaft.

Someone must've been in here and didn't torque down the flywheel. I checked the gear teeth and sprang clutch and nothing is broken that I can tell.
    I'll look through the manual and see what torque values are... that was a relief!
    Last edited by jcw; 05-18-2019 at 05:16 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Picked up a very nice Hornet this morning.
    The wife seems to think I'll be selling the 1100RS to pay for it... Not sure where she got that idea from.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Picked up a very nice Hornet this morning.
    The wife seems to think I'll be selling the 1100RS to pay for it... Not sure where she got that idea from.
    My bride never says boo about M/C purchases, but I’m always suspicious that there is another shoe that will drop... usually in the form of some shiny bobble.

I’ve been told that the Esso Super unleaded is a bit of a crap shoot over there, but who knows. They also tell me that they have to wind back the timing on the old stuff and reading plugs has become a bit of a lost art due to ethanol content along with crap fuel in general.

I always use ethanol free especially in the V11 plastic tank. No idea who these old farts are, but they are trying to reinstall a tank that had a steady diet of E whatever.

Name:  10B994B3-7318-4F37-9515-58C7E9978614.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  127.9 KB
    jcw likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

[QUOTE=Cyorg;635949]My bride never says boo about M/C purchases, but I’m always suspicious that there is another shoe that will drop... usually in the form of some shiny bobble.

I’ve been told that the Esso Super unleaded is a bit of a crap shoot over there, but who knows. They also tell me that they have to wind back the timing on the old stuff and reading plugs has become a bit of a lost art due to ethanol content along with crap fuel in general.

I always use ethanol free especially in the V11 plastic tank. No idea who these old farts are, but they are trying to reinstall a tank that had a steady diet of E whatever.

I've owned my BMW for nearly 4 years now, and the plastic tank has been fine using regular fuel. I don't do many miles, but the bike is used most days, and fill up every other week.
    I've seen a couple of R1100 tanks that looked absolutely horrific due to standing for any length of time I'm guessing. From what I've been told Triumph Daytonas have similar issues.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I've owned my BMW for nearly 4 years now, and the plastic tank has been fine using regular fuel. I don't do many miles, but the bike is used most days, and fill up every other week.
    I've seen a couple of R1100 tanks that looked absolutely horrific due to standing for any length of time I'm guessing. From what I've been told Triumph Daytonas have similar issues.
    That makes sense to me in that your fuel doesn’t sit in there long enough to collect much water, so you don’t get the swelling.

Congrats on the Hornet.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Ok it was yesterday but still.

First trackday of 2019 for the Aprilia and me (earlier one was rescheduled due to weather)

Grattan, low 50s, clouds, misty for a bit in the morning. The good news was with the weather I didn't get tired nearly as fast as normal (no heat to deal with) but the bad news was I never had much confidence in the tires cuz it was so cold. Even so it was a good day, made progress, need to work (a LOT) on my body positioning... but all in good time. I decided my day was over after I blew the same shift in the same corner 3 laps in a row... corner worker must think I'm a complete klutz, but I nailed the downshift into turn one before that. Last time there on the Aprilia that was a major problem area, I could not get a nice downshift before turn one to save my life.

Getting up out of a chair has been hell today but it's worth it. ;-)

Somebody knock some sense into me, putting together a track bike from the ground up is soundling like a fun idea again. FFS, have I learned nothing over the years???
    CaTacL1sm, woodsman, jcw and 1 others like this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    Even so it was a good day, made progress, need to work (a LOT) on my body positioning... but all in good time.
    +100

Don't worry too much about body position other than making sure you have a strong stable connection to the bike to make you steering inputs and to lean the bike.
    Too many are hanging off like a moron and at a minimal bike lean.
    Body position has incorrectly been given precedence over proper riding technique these days.
    Last edited by jcw; 05-23-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    woodsman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    need to work (a LOT) on my body positioning...
    Cross train on a trials bike for a while

I'm still hurting from the weekend, I went with 3 quads on a long trail ride, covered more terrain I was having so much fun
    and stupidly over-did it on my legs. This weekend is a 2-day provincial on the Bruce Peninsula, I'm going to be one hurtin unit by Monday :|
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 05-23-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Sponsored Links