The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread - Page 50
Close

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by tat2carson Sorry this is the only placeican find to ask a question. How do I start a thread (or ask for help, ...

Page 50 of 205 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Like Tree654Likes

Thread: The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tat2carson View Post
    Sorry this is the only placeican find to ask a question. How do I start a thread (or ask for help, or ask a question) where do I go I can't fig this out
    Go to what ever category you think is appropriate, when you get there at the top left should be a "post new thread" link. Self explanatory from there.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Go to what ever category you think is appropriate, when you get there at the top left should be a "post new thread" link. Self explanatory from there.
    'cause after all, it's what you're doing today...

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    I miss out on a box of R8 stuff. I have been eyeing getting a couple of face mills. Edit: although honestly I really should just get 40 taper face mills for the fat girl.
    Where is the fat girl from?

I've been staring at this while trying to drum up enough enthusiasm to install it. I know it will make my life easier, just suffering from a bad case of inertia today after spending time trying to sort out some banking for my 97 yr old mother. The folks at the bank are a bunch of cunts.

Name:  XY.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  104.6 KB
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Oops. Meant to say cat 50. lol

The fat girl is a van norman 26 which currently lives in my box truck.

Brochure here:

Van Norman Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Van Norman No. 26 and 36 Ram Type Milling Machine Brochure | VintageMachinery.org

Mine is a '39 model and has some weirdness. The overarm is different and some other things are different than the later ones. It needs some repair, so I am collecting cheap tooling on ebay while repairing and setting up a permanent home for it. This involves adding a new concrete pad to my existing area.

The fat girl name comes from someone seeing it in my box truck, taking up most of a 7x16 box with the ram removed and sitting behind the machine, saying "man she is one fat bitch". He was used to seeing my smaller machines.

I plan on repainting the machine while repairing. Normally I wouldn't but this machine's finish is in really poor shape and flaking pretty bad. I want to paint one of these on the side of the column (I am leaning toward the second, about 3 feet tall and very subtle):

Name:  5a5e49420e9d35ef2f57727f01f909d3.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  13.1 KBName:  e9bbcf7e1a4d117d5607113f991314ea.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  38.5 KB
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Also I am jealous of the DRO. None of my machines currently have DROs. I really want to setup this on my mini mill to give it a go without spending a lot of money/time.

Android DRO Project | Yuriy's Toys

I am an electronics guy, so i had considered building a basic nixie tube display for use by the Van Norman. (full app support on a tablet being also available for "serious" use)
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Also I am jealous of the DRO. None of my machines currently have DROs. I really want to setup this on my mini mill to give it a go without spending a lot of money/time.

Android DRO Project | Yuriy's Toys

I am an electronics guy, so i had considered building a basic nixie tube display for use by the Van Norman. (full app support on a tablet being also available for "serious" use)
    That looks pretty slick. I understand Ohm's law, but I'm pretty far removed from the electronics guy category. Given my DRO is 2 axis and the axis budget is overdrawn, I was thinking of adding one of these to the quill. Who knows how accurate or reliable it is, and I'm not sure I would buy from this guy. Also not sure I would depend on it when working on something important, but it might save some time when rough cutting.

6" Vertical Digital DRO Quill Large LCD Readout Scale for Bridgeport Mill Lathe | eBay

Go with the second image…… although I do prefer women on the thin side of skinny.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Those are the "igaging" type scales. From what I have read online these hold up pretty decent as long as they aren't getting bathed in coolant.

Also available on Amazon for ten bucks more. But probably a better return policy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...B4BKMGKGXKBNX9

Some thoughts about these:

Three Ways to Improve iGaging DRO Scales Reliability | Yuriy's Toys

Reliability Issues with iGaging Digital Scales | Yuriy's Toys

I dunno what kind of machine you have. If you are running a VFD or a variable dc motor controller you might have to work through the suggestions given. Usually well wired single or three phase motors (no vfd, RPC is ok) with either a gearbox, step pulley, or variable sheave type drive is electrically alot quieter than VFDs or DC drives.

I am an unreformed chubby chick chaser. The second one is about perfect for me.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Those are the "igaging" type scales. From what I have read online these hold up pretty decent as long as they aren't getting bathed in coolant.

Also available on Amazon for ten bucks more. But probably a better return policy.

Amazon.com: iGaging DigiMAG 6" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout: Home Improvement

Some thoughts about these:

Three Ways to Improve iGaging DRO Scales Reliability | Yuriy's Toys

Reliability Issues with iGaging Digital Scales | Yuriy's Toys

I dunno what kind of machine you have. If you are running a VFD or a variable dc motor controller you might have to work through the suggestions given. Usually well wired single or three phase motors (no vfd, RPC is ok) with either a gearbox, step pulley, or variable sheave type drive is electrically alot quieter than VFDs or DC drives.

I am an unreformed chubby chick chaser. The second one is about perfect for me.
    Thanks for the links.
    The somewhat limited info I have on the Mitutoyo suggests their scales don't like taking a bath either.
    I have a Taiwanese vertical HT of 1978 vintage. It's single phase with a stepped pulley. Not as fat as your girl… but on the upside, we are expecting a bouncing baby Atlas MFC in December.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Nice. I have run one of those. Those and the shaper are much more serious tools than atlas lathes. I have an atlas shaper. Horizontal mills are such useful critters. Slotting and spline cutting are definite fortes. The van norman has a tilting head and can run vertical or horizontal at the expense of no quill.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)

Took the R1100RS out this morning, can't remember the last time I rode just for the hell of it. The BMW's really growing on me, guess I must be getting old.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Sponsored Links