The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread - Page 51
Close

The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

This is a discussion on The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by raven Those are the "igaging" type scales. From what I have read online these hold up pretty decent as long as they ...

Page 51 of 205 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree654Likes

Thread: The "Whatcha Doin Today" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Those are the "igaging" type scales. From what I have read online these hold up pretty decent as long as they aren't getting bathed in coolant.

Also available on Amazon for ten bucks more. But probably a better return policy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...B4BKMGKGXKBNX9

Some thoughts about these:

Three Ways to Improve iGaging DRO Scales Reliability | Yuriy's Toys

Reliability Issues with iGaging Digital Scales | Yuriy's Toys

I dunno what kind of machine you have. If you are running a VFD or a variable dc motor controller you might have to work through the suggestions given. Usually well wired single or three phase motors (no vfd, RPC is ok) with either a gearbox, step pulley, or variable sheave type drive is electrically alot quieter than VFDs or DC drives.

I am an unreformed chubby chick chaser. The second one is about perfect for me.
    Dial indicator, micrometers, inside and outside and adjustable parallels, edge finder can do most work. Never did precision on a shaper, it's just a big chisel !!!

Its a precision big chisel :P
    TCed likes this.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by raven View Post
    Its a precision big chisel :P
    We used to hog out curved profiles using a shaper. It would involve constantly raising or lowered the clapper box as you moved across the work piece. You would have your hand on the up/down knob and incremently turn it whatever way to follow the layout blue profile. Occasionally things got a bit loose and a chunk of steel got pushed out of the vise or the whole vise pushed of the saddle. Lots of force in that ram.
    ed

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like you had one of those monsters. I know a guy with a 24" shaper. Thankfully mine is the Atlas which is a tabletop size machine. You can do most anything with it except make money. SO slow. But enchanting to watch work with surfacing a plate flat.
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Well, I'm a little pissed. I bought a pretty nice Toyota 4runner on Saturday, and decided to drive it 70 miles to work yesterday. Right as I got off my exit ramp, I down shifted to 4th gear to slow down, and heard a faint pfssshhhh
    kinda sound, followed by and ENORMOUS cloud of white smoke from the tail pipe. So now my $1500 truck is gonna cost me closer to $2000. At least I can mill the heads myself at the shop at school now.
    Maybe when I'm done, the truck will run another couple hundred thousand miles.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Just watched The Nations Favourite Beatles Number One, on ITV. Still wearing a massive grin.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by thechief86 View Post
    Well, I'm a little pissed. I bought a pretty nice Toyota 4runner on Saturday, and decided to drive it 70 miles to work yesterday. Right as I got off my exit ramp, I down shifted to 4th gear to slow down, and heard a faint pfssshhhh
    kinda sound, followed by and ENORMOUS cloud of white smoke from the tail pipe. So now my $1500 truck is gonna cost me closer to $2000. At least I can mill the heads myself at the shop at school now.
    Maybe when I'm done, the truck will run another couple hundred thousand miles.
    What generation 4runner did you get? I love my 2008 but those older ones are solid and will go more places than you would expect, especially with that locker option.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Michigan/ Ohio State.
    Farmer_John likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TSwami View Post
    What generation 4runner did you get? I love my 2008 but those older ones are solid and will go more places than you would expect, especially with that locker option.
    I got a 91, so no locker, but my jeep has those.
    I got the head gaskets sorted out, and now the fuel pump has taken a crap. I guess I'm in it to win it, now.
    I wouldn't even be able to sell the thing unless I got it running, so now I'm married to it. At least it's in great condition, and the inside of the engine looked good.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Sponsored Links