Who's going to Bonneville Speed Week? - Page 10
Close

Who's going to Bonneville Speed Week?

This is a discussion on Who's going to Bonneville Speed Week? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; When running a 250, any cross winds or head winds are a problem. I've seen four mph get knocked off the speedometer just from a ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Who's going to Bonneville Speed Week?

When running a 250, any cross winds or head winds are a problem. I've seen four mph get knocked off the speedometer just from a gust. Rain is a no go. But with the runway, the rain will run off. A calm after a storm with cool air can be good.

i called ahead and they assured me the beer is cold. So it's all good

Pray for a tailwind. Its referred to here as El Mirage horsepower. Headwinds are a killer on any small capacity machine. I had a record at El mirage at 130. A friend took it at 134. He had a 20 mph tailwind that Sat. When he ran on Sunday in still air he could top 122. Full report and photos expected. Good Luck.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Looks like the threatened rain is only 20% on Sat. and 10% on Sun. Wind today was a direct north cross wind, don't know how fast it was. We were able to make a run down the track AND BACK today to shakedown the new truck. No one else was allowed to make a pass. Everything seems ready to go with no issues. There's some really cool stuff here including a guy in a 8N tractor with an Offy flat head, running 747 tires on it, looking to go 100mph. Post some pics shortly.
    Hoofhearted likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Did you get a run today before the rain?

Yes, made one shakedown (rookie car run) run that's suppose to be at 175. He says the tach was only showing 6.5K as he short shifted and he said it felt like he was doing 165-170. Went through the traps at 204+, on a 192 record, popped the chute that promptly fell to the ground and did not inflate ( mounted too low for the truck). Hard on the brakes he went off the end of the track. I misunderstood the directions in the drivers meeting, they said, I thought, on returning pushing the truck to keep it at 10mph, you could go a little faster but if people were around to go 10 mph. Well I'm used to Bonneville where once I push him off I haul ass the 5 miles to get him. The promoter said I was doing 80 to go get him and he couldn't even catch me. We both got superficial asses handed to us. Fortunately no damage to the truck at all. We went bucket the pits to clean the truck up. In the meantime there were other issues from other cars/bikes and by the time we got back in line it started raining. So we are in line for runs tomorrow that will start an hour early. Our 204 does not count as the vehicle must depart the racing surface under it's own power. But at least we know it is going to run about 230mph hopefully.
    Last edited by o1marc; 09-26-2015 at 07:57 PM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Here's the tractor, he had issues and said it was popping out of gear and only ran 45mph while seeking a 100mph run.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

Well, 204 isn't that far from 175, 204 on a 192 record is even better. Looks like barring any major blow up you will kill the record. Makes the thrash worthwhile, Glad the promoters didn't get too pissed off with you. Wl Mirage has a 15 mph return road limit. Sometimes you have think when you get excited. Good luck tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    Well, 204 isn't that far from 175, 204 on a 192 record is even better. Looks like barring any major blow up you will kill the record. Makes the thrash worthwhile, Glad the promoters didn't get too pissed off with you. Wl Mirage has a 15 mph return road limit. Sometimes you have think when you get excited. Good luck tomorrow.
    I thought the 10-15mph rule was for the return road and not for the support vehicles to get to the driver at the end of the run. At Bonneville I have to drive about 6 miles to get to the car after a run so I hauled ass. I just learned that at B'ville the trip down has a 65mph limit. We dismounted the parachute that was mounted too low and bolted the bottom 2 holes of the chute canister to the top 2 holes of the mounting plate and then put a bend in the mounting plate so it rested on the top on the tailgate and secured it there with 2 self tapping screws. This raised it and put it at a better angle to fire up into the wind stream.
    We were told to do another "shakedown" run of 175mph. Bob said because he wasn't sure the tach was reading correctly he would shift at 9k rpm in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, hit 5th and pop the chute. Promoter said that was perfect. He did that and ran a 188.+, basically wasting a record run, but had a good chute and good brakes. We were able to get in 2 more runs, the first being a 211.+ for a new record by 19mph and a final run at 212.669mph for a new record. The gear we were running should have put us at a max of 215mph, so we weren't off by much.

I'll post some pics in awhile of some of the interesting bikes and cars there (IMO). Fast run of the event was a bike that went 248.+mph. I was impressed with a Ducati Panagale 1199 that was running 199mph, couldn't break the 200mph mark. Lots of Busa's running in the 212-220mph range. Weren't near as many bikes there as I expected for the bike shoot out.
    Last edited by o1marc; 09-27-2015 at 05:43 PM.
    Hoofhearted likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

Turbo Panagale ran 199.+

CX500 Turbo, was a clean original bike but had issues and went home early:

Lightweight looking CB750 that barely ran over 100mph:

And BTW, the tractor was able to pull out a speed of around 96.900mph. They said part of the issue was they couldn't get enough air into the 747 tires and it got squishy and bouncy at speed. The used a whole bottle of oxygen and it still only had like 70psi in them.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

Congrats on the record. Glad you got the chute working. Over on landracing there is a bunch of photos of Ohio. Some great shots of the S 10. Looks like the weather held. Nice looking Duc. I'm kind of laughing. There is a post on FB and there are a lot of remarks about how ANY 750 to 1000 cc modern bike can run well over 200 straight off the showroom floor. Better not let them see that Duc. They'll be disappointed.
    Last edited by Hoofhearted; 09-27-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links