Fathers and Father's Day. - Page 2
Close

Fathers and Father's Day.

This is a discussion on Fathers and Father's Day. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Great thread! I sort of did my own thing while growing up, but my father set the impression that it was normal to work on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Fathers and Father's Day.

Great thread!

I sort of did my own thing while growing up, but my father set the impression that it was normal to work on your own vehicles or projects. We did build a go-kart together when I was about 10 - pretty sure that started because of the nostalgia he had from the chainsaw-engined cart he built when he was a kid. I get my "work solo" mindset from him and his father, without a doubt. My sister and I got him a new TV to replace his old CRT (tube) after years of him saying, "but it works fine!" We then took him for our annual bicycle ride along the beach, stopping at a few places to eat and/or drink. The older I get, the more and more I appreciate the conversations we have. I had him take his old motorcycle for a spon, one I took on as a project, and he came back with a smirk on his face and said, "I'm just glad it's not a pile of parts in my loft." That's as good as it gets, and a big win in my book.

Happy Father's Day to all the father's here. Spill all your knowledge to your kids constantly, eventually they'll use it.
    TrialsRider and knappyfeet like this.

I spent the weekend with my father in-law, who I really look up to, in many ways more than my own dad. We spent the weekend cruising around in my old jeep with the top and doors off, and even more time on the river with his new boat, and at his cabin in rural Kentucky. We had a great time! When I got home, I had a nice talk on the phone with my dad, and we talked about stuff we did together when I was a kid, and stuff we plan on doing in the future. I need to call my Grandad now...
    I'll have my first son here in a couple of months, and today I got my first father's day card from my wife, and a text from my sister. It's just now starting to set in how much of my identity is going to come from being a father from now on, and how everything I've ever done and learned up to this point only has meaning because I can pass it on to him. I'm a very lucky guy, and all I've ever wanted was to be the guy who had something to teach to his kids. I really hope I can convince the little guy that motorcycles and cars and being outdoors and actually doing something is cooler than playing video games and eating Doritos. This hobby (wrenching) has been a way of life for me for as long as I can remember, and has kept food in my belly my entire life.
    I'll raise my kid to be a viking, because sometimes it takes a child to raze a village
    TrialsRider and knappyfeet like this.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Started my fathers day last Wednesday. Daughter in Peterborough, Son in Kitchener, and daughter in London. Visited one a day and put 1330 KM on the bike to do it. Youngest is in Nova Scotia so no visit. Got one text and one phone call on fathers day from the ones the furthest away. Oh well. But the missus got me a bitching paddock stand a card full on lies about what a great dad I am and a pack of wine gums. All in all a great trip.
    knappyfeet likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bogzoom View Post
    My sister and I got him a new TV to replace his old CRT (tube) after years of him saying, "but it works fine!" it.
    I love all these stories.

That was totally my father. He had an old tv from the eighties I grew up watching......Sylvania. "The picture is perfect.....no need to waste money" he would say. Watching that tube would give you headaches and make you dizzy because it was so wavy.

I took my kid to see finding Dory. It was important to spend Father's day with my family. Said all day how I wanted to work on the jeep and the bike and take a ride, and really didn't even look at a wrench.

Called my dad and he's coming out for mid-ohio/goodguys this year. Should be a fun early july.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

To all the father's today........Happy Father's Day.

It's always a mixed blessing day for me. I always miss my father dearly but I also enjoy the time spent with my family. Yesterday we had a BBQ with family and today me and my wife will later enjoy a ride up the coast....just us.

Looking thru some old photos yesterday I found a couple of my first motorcycle. My father purchased this new at Lebard & Underwood in LA Habra CA for I think $280. I've always had a fond place in my heart for that machine. Every now and then I scroll thru ebay for one.......just because.

Name:  IMG_20170117_183837-1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  2.25 MB

Name:  IMG_20170117_183847.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  1.49 MB
    jcw likes this.

jcw
    My dad is halfway around the world and has been for last 15+ years. He's getting older and his body is breaking down slowly.
    Really makes me think about life and what different people feel is important to them.
    No hate. Just acceptance.

Happy father's day to everyone.

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers, grandfathers and all the father figures!

Ours isn't until September....but happy fathers day to all who celebrate it now.

Happy father's day 2019!!

Happy father's day to all the father's and grandfather's and all the kind and honorable gentlemen who take up that role in the form of a big brother, uncle, step fathers, in laws, etc. It has been the most rewarding and important thing I have ever done.

Planning on doing what most father's want to do on father's day and that's a lot of nothing. I may go check out this rig tho.....and give myself a present. Just need a small rig to take me and the wife to the ocean with the waverunner. The last 2.3 in line 4 ford I had went 300K.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-06-15-13-02-42.png
Views: 19
Size:  3.16 MB
    jcw likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links