Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike - Page 2
Close

Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike

This is a discussion on Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Ossa Six day 900F Both old....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike

Ossa Six day
    900F
    Both old.

Most Guzzi's feel like 1978, even if you bought it last week.

Danger, is my business."

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    Most Guzzi's feel like 1978, even if you bought it last week.

Danger, is my business."
    Exactly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Sometimes more than what the factory offered is needed. The factory built them for the masses, not the individuals.
    This is very true although I tend not to purchase those bikes as I just don't have the time or funds to do extensive modifications to the frame, I'd rather buy a bike that doesn't need extreme modifications to fit me or my riding style (race bikes are completely excluded from this) this is absolutely "just my opinion" and it doesn't necessarily work for everyone
    -Will

Quote Originally Posted by Lpst View Post
    This is very true although I tend not to purchase those bikes as I just don't have the time or funds to do extensive modifications to the frame, I'd rather buy a bike that doesn't need extreme modifications to fit me or my riding style (race bikes are completely excluded from this) this is absolutely "just my opinion" and it doesn't necessarily work for everyone
    Doesn't the factory, after years of R&D modify that R&D and come out with newer, better models occasionally. We do the same basic thing, only modify it to what has been proven to be better. Sometimes the factory puts years of R&D into something that just plain sucks or doesn't work. Ferrari admits they don't sell slotted rotors on their cars because they are better, they put them on because customers want them, not knowing they really don't want them.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

I wish I had good answers for this.

1)I don't like the retro Bonneville, and the like because I feel like they are dummed down, much like a cruiser. I do like the Ducati Scrambler, and the sport classics before them, and well as the Honda CB1100. The speed/cornering/braking limits of a modern sport bike are all so extreme that I a mere mortal can't ever touch them in the street. Sports cars got the same way which is why Mazda sells so many Miatas, the limits are just out of reach of the normal person on the street, but you can feel that you are approaching them. I would love to have a bike that didn't require work every few weeks though.

2)Old bikes are a different story and I like them all. I don't fetishize a certain make or model like a lot of people. I typically buy Hondas because I already know the wiring diagram colors and how they typically do things. I have my CB750, which was the 2nd bike I ever owned, and I have had it since 1994. When it isn't running it is just about worthless, which keeps me from selling it, and when it is running why would I want to sell it? On my radar of bikes I would like in the near future are a Honda XL350 from the mid 70s, maybe a XL500 from the early 80s, maybe an MT250 to replace my MT125, and an Evo era motocross bike, like a Honda CR480. But if my CB750 was somehow a total loss, like off a cliff into the ocean, I'd just go out and buy a 1990s Nighthawk 750, or CB1000, or Bandit 1200, or Kawasaki Zephyr 1100.

3) Not power or speed, just about everything has enough of both of those things. I used to ride a Honda C70 Passport from Van Nuys to Hollywood for work occasionally, that was the only thing I have ridden that did not have enough, but with 4 speed transmission I bet it would have. Yes the look has something to do with it. The answer a lot of people give, and I agree, is that you can see the motor. There is a certain honesty to naked bikes. I do like to cause a sensation, and make people think WTF? Which is why I built that Japanese style bike, and why I have raced unusual stuff off road, like the CL450
    Whitworth - The whole Western World economy runs on total lies and BS: I'm a part of the action.

Doesn't the factory, after years of R&D modify that R&D and come out with newer, better models occasionally. We do the same basic thing, only modify it to what has been proven to be better. Sometimes the factory puts years of R&D into something that just plain sucks or doesn't work. Ferrari admits they don't sell slotted rotors on their cars because they are better, they put them on because customers want them, not knowing they really don't want them.
    not sure this thread deserved calling people out on what they like in a bike...just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Joep7 View Post
    not sure this thread deserved calling people out on what they like in a bike...just saying.
    Sorry, was just answering his question.
    Now back to our regular programming.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo184 View Post
    The main thing is to avoid cruisers; They are the Schwinn Sting Ray of motorcycles.
    Depends on what you want out of a bike. If you're going an a 2 week trip with 500+ miles every day then a big fat cruiser is hard to beat.

Now, to the OP question....I've got a shorter list of modern bikes I don't like, rather than do like.

I kinda like a lot of bikes

Yes that is why you don't modify a cb350 to do the job of a cbr600, you just buy a cbr600.
    IMHO why buy something that requires extensive modification to do the job you want it to do (aside from race bikes). Buy a bike that will do what you need it to do with out needing a welder or chop saw. To me any bolt on modification is considered a part upgrade not a serious modification. I consider a modification, a change in frame and/or suspension geometry in such a way that it changes the handling of the bike. Yes you could call bolting on a set of shocks a modification but it is what it is, a part upgrade. If my terminology is off then I guess I'm just a victim of the times...
    -Will

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links