Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike - Page 4
Close

Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike

This is a discussion on Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; One Bike that I have owned and regretted selling was my 1998 Bright Yellow Honda firestorm VTR1000. (Think they were called Super Hawk in USA) ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Favorite "New" bike & Favorite "Old" bike

One Bike that I have owned and regretted selling was my 1998 Bright Yellow Honda firestorm VTR1000. (Think they were called Super Hawk in USA) I did'nt even take it for a test ride, I bought it for its looks and sound of that beautiful VTwin. I also lust after a Ducati 996. Next on my bucket list.
    "Paint it Black until they invent something darker"

Quote Originally Posted by Wydglyd View Post
    One Bike that I have owned and regretted selling was my 1998 Bright Yellow Honda firestorm VTR1000. (Think they were called Super Hawk in USA) I did'nt even take it for a test ride, I bought it for its looks and sound of that beautiful VTwin. I also lust after a Ducati 996. Next on my bucket list.
    Agree with you on the VTR. I've had 2 of them, not without their problems, and my current one is far from perfect. Still a great bike to ride for little money though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wydglyd likes this.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

I had to give this a lot of thought. Not a whole lot of new bikes that I like. Much like cars, quite a good percentage have just gotten too powerful, to complex and just too fucking expensive.

Both of my examples are both old and new.

For old, I also (can't believe this is possible) choose the Yamaha SR500. So direct, so simple and so much damn fun to ride. Just don't try to start one of the old ones warm. If it were still as mine was in '79, is have bought another.

Which brings me to "modern". I bought a "new" Royal Enfield continental GT a few weeks ago and as of yet, I have zero complaints with it. It's a new bike for them, but like their Bullet range, it reeks new/old vintage. EFI, electric start and their now unit constitution (I laugh) OHV thumper, it's a good piece.

I had actually gone out for a new Bonneville and would have bought one, if either of the Detroit dealers wanted to actually sell a bike. They would be y'all's perfect definition of hipster trash. The one "salesman" who actually made a half hearted attempt was aghast that I didn't drool over his with a rattle can Matt paint job and NO FRONT CALIPER! Disc was there, no caliper. No lever...no brains...

Anyway, nice bike. The suspension is set up pretty well, has a great set of rubber and is fairly comfy, given my age and ergos, for 80-100 miles a sitting.
    Hoofhearted and Geeto67 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CagedArt View Post
    Do you guys not want new members?

Actually, new members don't want us, more to the point!

" Cafe Racer Forum , - many are called, but, few are chosen. "

Danger, is my business."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

1/ i liked the guzzi bellagio, and the griso was ok, loved my 97 sport 1100i, esp to look at. ducati sport 1000 was about the only thing we sold at that time that interested me, well that and the s4rs. best bike they've built i'd almost say. altho a thru the gears romp on an 1198 is pretty cool. monster 696 are cool and easy to ride, without enough power to tempt me into stupdity. i always enjoyed mv 750 brutales.

2/ 851 - 1989 , sp2 and sp3. lemans. i love everything about the sfc except riding them, they're horrid. ridden way too many ducati bevel drives to have any interest in any of them, visually or for riding.

3/ when i was riding a lot, i rathered my r1100s to my sport 1100i to ride, but the guzzi looked and sounded way better. 851 is old and slow, but again i love how it looks and sounds (well, sounded, hasn't been started in 10 years). i have a long list of bikes i'd love to have to look at only (sfc at the top).

I too own an SR500 since new,so I guess you could say it is my favorite old bike...
    Starting it became an issue if you didnt follow the procedure carefully.. I remember many a time when new, that it was an easy bike to kill at a stop sign.. youd have to quickly walk the bike to the side and let those behind drive past before jumping on the start lever a while, to try to clear it out...yes sometimes it was a bitch to restart...
    I also own a yg1 ( bought as a basket case) there is something about stamped steel frames that is so appealing to me..

my favorite new bike right now is my xt250 ..It dose so many things pretty well. If yamaha would have offered this type with a larger motor I would have bought it , yet being efi and having the simple hop ups of a gear change and the programmer addition, its sufficent forme ( thou I think it will need a heavyer clutch before too long )
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post

Which brings me to "modern". I bought a "new" Royal Enfield continental GT a few weeks ago and as of yet, I have zero complaints with it. It's a new bike for them, but like their Bullet range, it reeks new/old vintage. EFI, electric start and their now unit constitution (I laugh) OHV thumper, it's a good piece.

Anyway, nice bike. The suspension is set up pretty well, has a great set of rubber and is fairly comfy, given my age and ergos, for 80-100 miles a sitting.

what would you say the minimum rider height is that can comfortably ride a new GT? Do they have a low seat option?
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

Older: Honda VF500F; Very capable little bike. Yamaha RZ350; A bit less civilized than the interceptor.

Modern: MV Agusta 1090RR, April RSV4. After riding something like these a bit, the fascination with older "performance" bikes will pall. The car magazines have tested 68 Jag's and similar age 911's and found that modern minivans will lap Laguna Seca faster. An analogous evolution has occurred in sport bikes. I suppose one can justify the fascination with older bikes by appealing to aesthetics, or citing lack of funds, but if you insist on a E type, avoid those minivans.

this thread needs pics.

It's kind of odd to ask someone their "favorite" of something in hopes of getting a broader view, because you rely on everyone else having a narrow view. I don't play favorites but I have things I like:

1) New Bikes

BMW S1000RR. Esp in that funky green color:
    Name:  BMW_S1000RR_45559.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  94.3 KB
    Why? because the twisted perverse side of me likes all the amazing tech in this bike to make what would otherwise be an unrideable monster as docile as a honda civic. It's faster than it has any right to be, and more complex than any motorcycle should be, but it all works. I imagine this bike inspires so many near death religious experiences that its riders eventually become german motorcycle messiahs, and everyone should own a bike that inspires surprise brown moments if for no other reason to be humbled in the presence of greatness. Plus I love the whole "we're bmw and we are going to take on the establishment of big four japanese sport bikes" and then they actually do it and are successful. I am going to throw the new Kawasaki H2 and H2R into this camp too because it is Kawasaki trying something different, the bike is supercharged, and it's batshit insane.
    Name:  moto-revue.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  108.7 KB

Moto Guzzi Griso:
    Name:  2010-MotoGuzzi-Griso12008VSEa.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  365.3 KB
    The griso is just a nice bike to ride. It's not a harley, not a cruiser, not a sport bike, and not terribly interesting to look at. But it rides really nice. If someone told me I could only have 1 motorcycle ever to do it all this is probably what I would pick.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500:
    Name:  slide.png
Views: 1878
Size:  318.8 KB
    Its a sporting single, and the world needs more traditional sporting singles.

Triumph scrambler:
    Name:  07_scram_green_275.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  17.9 KB
    It's a useful city bike and comes with a 270 degree crank. I wish they would go back to the white and pop colors they used to have instead of all the military versions they are selling now.

2) Old Bikes:

anything big, italian and made in the 1970s:
    Name:  1975-1975-ducati-750-supe-1_600x0w.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  moto_guzzi_850_le_mans.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  laverda_750_sf_1973.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  202.3 KB

If you are going to judge a bike on it's looks, these are the gold standards. Forget hacked up Hondas these were designed by people who knew the true face of motorcycle beauty. Don't get me wrong each one of these is probably a gigantic pain in the ass to own if you are used to the set it and forget it luxury of a new bike, but when they work they work in a way that can best be described as full of character.

Bevel Ducati Mike Hailwood replica:
    Name:  electro_030.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  410.9 KB
    To me this is one of the most beautiful motorcycles made. It's also quirky and fun to ride and a punch in the dick to maintain. This was the bike that set the hook that I would be in love with motorcycles forever.

Rickman CR750:
    Name:  Rickman_Honda_CR750_picture1.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  347.9 KB
    To me this represents the cafe racer better than anything. and it looks like a freight train standing still, it's a mongrel of the best of japanese and british know how at the time, and it's pretty.

Krauser MKM100:

I was trying to think about how to add a bmw to the list and was going to go with a daytona orange R90S as a fav, but the MKM is so bonkers and I have loved it for so long I had to mention it.

Anything with a tracy body:

this is pure sentimentality. To me this is what a hot rod 70's motorcycle looks like.
    Lpst likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Favorite old bike would have to be my current daily rider. 1981 GL1100.
    Name:  gl1100.JPG
Views: 205
Size:  139.6 KB

Favorite new bike, that's a hard one, so many to choose from. But one that is certainly close to if not at the top
    is the Triumph Street Triple R. May be the best motorcycle dollar for dollar than anything else on the market.
    It is just a blast to ride and really needs nothing off the showroom floor, except maybe a windscreen.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links