1977 GT500 - to do list - Page 10
Close

1977 GT500 - to do list

This is a discussion on 1977 GT500 - to do list within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by DesmoDog (pssst... .0069 square inches dictates a hole with a diameter of about .09"....) :/ 7 thousandths of an inch is way ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1977 GT500 - to do list

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    (pssst... .0069 square inches dictates a hole with a diameter of about .09"....)

:/ 7 thousandths of an inch is way off, that's less then 0.2mm

0.0938" or 2.3813mm or a 3/32" drill hole if you prefer.
    At least, that is the size of the drill that fits nicely into the through hole, on the business end of a brand new Schrader tire valve. (happened to have 1 sitting right here in me tool box)

If'n you need help with the rest of the pie math, click here -> Online Conversion - Circle Solver Calculator

In layman's terms, the actual pressure through the valve is so low, you could remove the valve core and hold a serious amount of air pressure back with one finger :/

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    :/ 7 thousandths of an inch is way off, that's less then 0.2mm

0.0938" or 2.3813mm or a 3/32" drill hole if you prefer.
    At least, that is the size of the drill that fits nicely into the through hole, on the business end of a brand new Schrader tire valve. (happened to have 1 sitting right here in me tool box)

If'n you need help with the rest of the pie math, click here -> Online Conversion - Circle Solver Calculator

In layman's terms, the actual pressure through the valve is so low, you could remove the valve core and hold a serious amount of air pressure back with one finger :/
    You did the math right the first time. An 0.09" diameter hole has an area of about 0.007 square inches.

As for holding the pressure back with your finger, the size of that hole doesn't matter, it's the size of the top of the valve stem you'd be dealing with, which is about 1/4" IIRC? That's got roughly 9 times the area of the hole you're talking about, so your finger would have to hold back around 6lbs of force at 120psi.

I have no idea why I care enough about that to post though...
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

This may equal Jaguars steering head bearing thread for off trackness.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If you're talking about Schrader valves being off topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravivos View Post
    thanks all for all the information, sure game me a lot to think of.
    will look for the 550 forks, if i cant find a set, i assume i can use the 750 and protrude them out of the top clamp, right? i know you guys dont like it, but it will be the easiest and safes way for me to mount the 750's forks and maintain the right geometry.

not sure if i should go with single or dual rotors... but will look for different calipers, gixxers est... (unless there is something else recommended for a decent price).
    if i'lll have to make an adapter plate for the calipers, so be it.

As for the carbs, where can i get the shorter boots for them ? i assume the old ones are cracked and will have to be replaced, so shorter ones with K&N filters will do.
    will also look into fabricating some sort of support to the carbs that replaces the airbox.

any recommendation or link on how to fit a valve on the front forks? any specific valve?

As for braking - i ride motorcycles for the past 20 years or so, many different bike, from off-road to high performance street bikes (currently riding a 97' TL1000S) , but never raced one on an actual/official track... i can only assume i will be able to handle the braking part.

guess i do have a long way to go.
    i am moving to a bigger hose next month, so i guess i will use this time to gather the needed parts.

any other information will be more than welcomed.
    thanks!
    Raviv.

It's Ravivos' thread and Ravinos' topic.

I have installed air caps on some of my motorcycle front forks with success, only trying to help.

...ok, air caps.. why not install install threaded fittings and send two lines to one air valve?

My thinking is if the object is to have even pressures in cylinders that need to move at the same rate, this would be the ticket...

Or would you want two seperate to have air pressure to help overcome any difference they may have ..? use air then to fine tune each ?

OP sorry for the thread theft, seems a logical question to the discussion here..
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnystark View Post
    ...ok, air caps.. why not install install threaded fittings and send two lines to one air valve?

My thinking is if the object is to have even pressures in cylinders that need to move at the same rate, this would be the ticket...

Or would you want two seperate to have air pressure to help overcome any difference they may have ..? use air then to fine tune each ?

OP sorry for the thread theft, seems a logical question to the discussion here..
    Yup and balanced pressure.

When riding can anyone, besides Whitworth, actually tell the difference in forks that are off by a pound or two? And would you know which leg it was that was low? Yes, a 2-1 valve would work. But wasn't air fittings ultimately just a crutch fix?
    Last edited by o1marc; 07-29-2015 at 11:55 PM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    But wasn't air fittings ultimately just a crutch fix?
    They were pretty much just an "easier" way to adjust pre-load before they went back to winders.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    When riding can anyone, besides Whitworth, actually tell the difference in forks that are off by a pound or two? And would you know which leg it was that was low? Yes, a 2-1 valve would work. But wasn't air fittings ultimately just a crutch fix?
    You called?

Two PSI from the ideal pressures, or a pound difference in balance between the legs? Both are easily felt at seriously high road speeds. I've known other guys with fast old Jappers who've said exactly the same things regarding air fork pressures.

A pound out, in tire pressure is noticeable, too. One and a half PSI out, is well out of the ballpark.

Danger, is my business."

So tell me then Walter, how do you explaIn forks that have damping in one leg and sprung from the other?
    TrialsRider likes this.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links