1977 GT500 - to do list - Page 3
Close

1977 GT500 - to do list

This is a discussion on 1977 GT500 - to do list within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Yep, I'm sure Pete O'Dell Would appreciate being called a mere tinkerer. He's only been building Suzuki 2 stroke engines since 1970. His stuffs machined ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1977 GT500 - to do list

Yep, I'm sure Pete O'Dell Would appreciate being called a mere tinkerer. He's only been building Suzuki 2 stroke engines since 1970. His stuffs machined in the UK from either British material, or European Billet.

Maybe that's why he likes Katy Perry Marc, he's hot when it's cold, yes when it's no, in when it's out an up when it's down... Ye ah

[QUOTE=o1marc;332529]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burton View Post
    Oh, only last week you said this....

What, Whit contradicting himself? Not here.

He could have his own forum and have discussions all day long. And never be wrong, or right.
    There is zero contradiction stated there mystic Bob.

I thought you were ignoring me. I'm so sad. I'm going to go watch the little birdies, to pep up.

Time to go wallow around in your new bike's smoke generator, I guess.

Danger, is my business."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Burton View Post
    Yep, I'm sure Pete O'Dell Would appreciate being called a mere tinkerer. He's only been building Suzuki 2 stroke engines since 1970. His stuffs machined in the UK from either British material, or European Billet.

Maybe that's why he likes Katy Perry Marc, he's hot when it's cold, yes when it's no, in when it's out an up when it's down... Ye ah
    O' someone or another hasn't been "building" motors, I say he'd just be scrounging old T and TR parts and assembly those. Pretty easy to bolt up bikes when most of the race development was done decades ago by others. Cast some barrels, copy the factory dry clutch. The tinkering and polishing of old turds habit, bobs up again in old Blighty. While China builds bullet trains.

He sure seems to tick all the tinker boxes.

Got to choof off to the Swindon works again for a gander, with a bit of Max Bygraves warbling in the Rover. Tardis like.

Danger, is my business."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dirkchecken View Post
    Rav, take "control" of your thread. some people will send it down the shitter. center plug heads are good. fftp has fork braces. titan for chambers and rearsets. and DJ ive put on some lectrons. ill let you and Rav know how they work.Attachment 15413 . . Attachment 15414
    I thought you died, ran away or something. Never to return.

OP, please ignore my legion of fanboys.

Danger, is my business."

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cyclocrossfool View Post
    my reply was for the "OP". did i mention you or anybody else by name ? let me answer that for you NO. how bout you shut your fucking pie hole asshole
    There are plenty of witworth caning threads, go there fanboy.

Danger, is my business."

enough with the nonsense already, it seems every time WW responds on a thread, the thread goes sideways and off track...
    so, i ask you, please keep this thread informative and on track (track = Suzuki T/GT500, 2 stroke engines etc...).

Hi Geeto,
    thanks for the link, went right into my favorites.

Hi Diamond,
    your method on measuring the crankcase pressure sounds right, guess it will be one of the firs things ill do when i get the bike.
    i think that a small 12V gel cell battery (like the ones used in UPS systems, approx 6Ah) will do the trick.
    As for lights, i do plan on racing it, but i also have to have the Israeli DMV approval (annual inspection), which requires a working lighting system, without it i wont be able to insure the bike.

Hi, Dirk
    your bike looks fantastic,
    will look for some titan heads and chambers... also, please let us know how the lectrons work for you, should be interesting.
    what pipes are you running? an porting done ?

Hi WW,
    Please stop spamming this thread, and try to keep it on track.
    not going to send any part to nowhere, so that's not an option.

Thanks all,
    the information provided here is golden! sure helps... will try continue updating this thread as i go.
    and as usual, all information and advice are more than welcome.

Ravivos.

a couple of pics... manage to finally get the ownership issue fixed, and no the bike is officially mine.
    got it back home excited, and started looking at it, trying to figure out the do's and dont's.
    let me know what you think.
    Name:  20150724_170751_1.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  169.8 KB
    Name:  20150724_170828_1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  178.3 KB

well, would like to get your help about replacing the front end.
    a few questions - is the original GT500 front hub have mounting holes for two brake rotors? i think the left ones are covered with a plastic cover, am i right?
    i can get the GT750 front suspensions that have the caliper mounting holes on both sides, will they suffice? should i replace the springs to a different ones? anything specific?
    i would like to reduce the weight of the front by using a thinner rotors, can anyone recommend a specific rotor from a specific model that will bolt right on and have the proper offset? floating rotors will be great.
    any recommendations for the front and rear rims? should i use the original ones or go with the aluminum ones?
    spokes - just buy a set off ebay and go with that?

thanks.

Suzuki Gt500 1976-1977 (usa) Front Wheel - schematic partsfiche

Suzuki Fork Brace by Tarozzi

Forget cheap eBay spokes, get them from reputable mobs like Central Wheels UK or Buchanan's USA. You pay extra for no hassles and a quality product. Don't buy cheap - shit no - name rims off of eBay. You have been warned.

You don't need heavy old twin discs, just one modern cali, a bigger single disc+ally adaptor plate and a real fork brace. You hardly need a floating disc, it's just not necessary. Upspecing with no real performance gain is just dicking around, with no real outcome.

Ask Central Wheel in the UK what they recommend regarding ally rim sizes. Forget shouldered / valanced rims, they just add weight for little gain in rigidity. Forget using seventeens, it will just make it handle worse as a road bike. Get Avon tyres to suit your chosen rim sizes, they have tyre / rim compatability charts on the Avontyres website. Much bigger tires than stock, is rarely any better.

Danger, is my business."

the microfiche shows that there are holes but cant really know if the holes are threaded... hope someone with actual experience with upgrading one of these can pitch in.

As for the fork brace, the Tarozzi looks good, just wonder if it will work with the front fender.

i have no intention in mounting old twin discs, will go with two modern ones , this is why i am going with the GT750 tubes.
    will go with floating rotors, i prefer doing things right... my experience shows major performance gain when going with floating rotors, mainly on the linearity and continuity of the brake... you say dicking around, i say major improvement.

As for the rims, mine are in pretty good condition, maybe i'll just replace the spokes, would love to get and actual experienced based answer on the handling improvement comparing the original rims and aluminum ones (beside the obvious weigh reduction).
    still want to keep the original wheel diameter and tires size.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravivos View Post
    the microfiche shows that there are holes but cant really know if the holes are threaded... hope someone with actual experience with upgrading one of these can pitch in.

As for the fork brace, the Tarozzi looks good, just wonder if it will work with the front fender.

i have no intention in mounting old twin discs, will go with two modern ones , this is why i am going with the GT750 tubes.
    will go with floating rotors, i prefer doing things right... my experience shows major performance gain when going with floating rotors, mainly on the linearity and continuity of the brake... you say dicking around, i say major improvement.

As for the rims, mine are in pretty good condition, maybe i'll just replace the spokes, would love to get and actual experienced based answer on the handling improvement comparing the original rims and aluminum ones (beside the obvious weigh reduction).
    still want to keep the original wheel diameter and tires size.
    So you work on aircraft, and can't drill a M8 hole or use a tap? Take the plastic cover off and have a look maybe? Even if they were meant to have spare disc holes from the factory, they might not have any. The factories do what they like sometimes.

Twin discs will give little real benefit over a good single disc setup. In fact the extra weight of twin discs might make the flexy front end chatter under braking and fast cornering. Also it would operate worse over bumps due to the increase in unsprung weight. Basic chassis dynamics, 101.

The Tarozzi brace is designed to clear a OEM fender.

Unsprung weight is far more crucial that ultimate braking power. The extra weight of twin discs will just feed in more flex, unsprung weight suspension responses and extra braking forces into the already flexy and marginal fork tubes.

A "Major improvement" is highly unlikely with the long flexy GT frame being retained, period. You would attain a slightly lighter weight with ally rims, and slightly better suspension response over small bumps. That's about all.

Motorcycling engineering experience relates to most modifications. Like here.

Danger, is my business."

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links