1977 GT500 - to do list - Page 5
Close

1977 GT500 - to do list

This is a discussion on 1977 GT500 - to do list within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Looks like you have a bit of work yet before you will be ready to put an improved suspension to good use from the pictures ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1977 GT500 - to do list

Looks like you have a bit of work yet before you will be ready to put an improved suspension to good use from the pictures you posted. Remember the air box supports the back of the carbs on this bike so if you decide to go with Uni foam filters, you may want to switch to the shorter rubber manifolds or look at making a small support bracket for the back of the carbs. The original side covers were ABS and broke easily. They are no longer available from Suzuki but there are a couple of people offering reproductions these days. The PEI cover is available off ebay unless you got it with the bike?

Totally understand using vintage brakes to compete in vintage racing, but I don't think that is what the OP has planned for his motorcycle.

"The chances of you ever catching one of these with anyone I know racing it:" <- True that, lol, it requires YOU knowing somebody who races one.

Wit, you really should refrain from commenting on my posts, it just makes you look inexperienced, stupid and further reinforces the fact you have no first hand knowledge or skill with riding motorcycles.

thanks all for all the information, sure game me a lot to think of.
    will look for the 550 forks, if i cant find a set, i assume i can use the 750 and protrude them out of the top clamp, right? i know you guys dont like it, but it will be the easiest and safes way for me to mount the 750's forks and maintain the right geometry.

not sure if i should go with single or dual rotors... but will look for different calipers, gixxers est... (unless there is something else recommended for a decent price).
    if i'lll have to make an adapter plate for the calipers, so be it.

As for the carbs, where can i get the shorter boots for them ? i assume the old ones are cracked and will have to be replaced, so shorter ones with K&N filters will do.
    will also look into fabricating some sort of support to the carbs that replaces the airbox.

any recommendation or link on how to fit a valve on the front forks? any specific valve?

As for braking - i ride motorcycles for the past 20 years or so, many different bike, from off-road to high performance street bikes (currently riding a 97' TL1000S) , but never raced one on an actual/official track... i can only assume i will be able to handle the braking part.

guess i do have a long way to go.
    i am moving to a bigger hose next month, so i guess i will use this time to gather the needed parts.

any other information will be more than welcomed.
    thanks!
    Raviv.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Totally understand using vintage brakes to compete in vintage racing, but I don't think that is what the OP has planned for his motorcycle.

"The chances of you ever catching one of these with anyone I know racing it:" <- True that, lol, it requires YOU knowing somebody who races one.

Wit, you really should refrain from commenting on my posts, it just makes you look inexperienced, stupid and further reinforces the fact you have no first hand knowledge or skill with riding motorcycles.

Time for you to go talk to the nice doctor again, TrainerWheels.

Good to see your TTTi is installed, up and running.

Now, back to our normal programming.

Danger, is my business."

I'll give you a part # for an air fork fitting tomorrow.

Danger, is my business."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravivos View Post
    any recommendation or link on how to fit a valve on the front forks? any specific valve?

Ravivos : Anything you can manufacture up using a schrader valve will work just fine. (Schrader valve is a fancy name for a regular old tire valve and stem)

and shitWit with all due respect, Blow it out your ass!

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Ravivos : Anything you can manufacture up using a schrader valve will work just fine. (Schrader valve is a fancy name for a regular old tire valve and stem)

and shitWit with all due respect, Blow it out your ass!
    No, wrong again, TrainerWheels. Normal Schrader fittings are often too big, and the normal type of Schrader valve does not shut off precisely and fast enough to allow accurate pressure adjustment.

Part # tomorrow.

Danger, is my business."

The nice thing about being a real human with real motorcycles is that I can go out to the garage and take photos of the real thing working.
    If you can't drill a 3/8" diameter clearance hole through the top of a big fat ol aluminum fork cap, you are witless.
    Fuk the part numbers tomorrow shite, I can show you both OEM Honda air caps (pictured below) with an ordinary Schrader valve fitted, or ones that I built using stock top caps and ordinary rubber, tubeless tire air valves.

Now see the photo here:

That 1/2" bolt is a very reasonable facsimile of your typical 1970's motorcycle axle bolt. I could pull a real one out of one of my old bikes if you don't think that is close enough.
    Now see that other strange looking thing, that's the box stock titanium axle out of my 1986 BMW.

Guess which axle does a better job of keeping your left fork leg going up and down along with the right fork leg ?:I

LOL Wit you posted a link to an ordinary everyday Schrader valve !

"normal type of Schrader valve does not shut off precisely and fast enough to allow accurate pressure adjustment." are you really that totally daft ?

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links