1977 GT500 - to do list - Page 6
Close

1977 GT500 - to do list

This is a discussion on 1977 GT500 - to do list within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by TrialsRider LOL Wit you posted a link to an ordinary everyday Schrader valve ! " normal type of Schrader valve does not ...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1977 GT500 - to do list

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    LOL Wit you posted a link to an ordinary everyday Schrader valve !

"normal type of Schrader valve does not shut off precisely and fast enough to allow accurate pressure adjustment." are you really that totally daft ?
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Yes, he is that daft. Working part of a Schrader valve is the core, and they all do pretty much the same thing.
    I was thinking he was going to post an actual Factory part # for the correct valve, yet posts a pic of a generic bottom dollar valve for an air tank, as though they do something different than a normal Schrader valve.
    Last edited by o1marc; 07-28-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Rav, ignore my little hamster buddy. The TTTi and all.

The valve I linked can handle at least 300PSI of air.

Danger, is my business."

ww, thanks... so just a basic 1/8" npt , got it.

Trial, when i converted my XJ550 front i came across a problem of finding the right bearings to fit the bigger axial... tried fitting a 22mm axial, but the outer race of the bearing had to be 42mm...
    looking at the strength table of these bearings, i found that a 22x42x13mm bearing is rather flimsy and wont hold.
    how did you manage to mount a thicker axial and get away with using smaller bearings ?
    another question, did you felt a major improvement using the thinker axial?

thanks for the info, will drill and tap the top fork covers to accept the valves.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    Rav, ignore my little hamster buddy. The TTTi and all.

The valve I linked can handle at least 300PSI of air.

Danger, is my business."
    And of course we need a valve capable of 300psi when needing less than 10psi. What are normal valves capable in PSI?
    Farmer_John likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Yes, he is that daft. Working part of a Schrader valve is the core, and they all do pretty much the same thing.
    I was thinking he was going to post an actual Factory part # for the correct valve, yet posts a pic of a generic bottom dollar valve for an air tank, as though they do something different than a normal Schrader valve.
    I don't think the KYB ones are available as a spare part any longer, that's why I found a suitable alternative. Probably far cheaper too.

Hardly a fail.

10PSI static, would probably hit 60PSI under load at the end of the up stroke.

I always overengineer things, just like the factories did when they fitted exactly the same spec of valve.

Danger, is my business."
    Last edited by Witworth; 07-28-2015 at 11:26 AM.

I don't think the KYB ones are available as a spare part any longer, that's why I found a suitable alternative. Probably far cheaper too.

Hardly a fail.

Danger, is my business."
    Any screw in pipe thread Schrader valve will work. Where were you this weekend? It was quiet and pleasant around here. But you've managed your way into every post here as usual, over 35 posts today before noon. You really don't have a life , do you?
    TrialsRider likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

No, wrong again, TrainerWheels. Normal Schrader fittings are often too big, and the normal type of Schrader valve does not shut off precisely and fast enough to allow accurate pressure adjustment.

Part # tomorrow.

Danger, is my business."
    This post is all made up bull shit. Totally inaccurate. Show me the data that says these close up faster than any other?
    TrialsRider likes this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

Hardly a fail.

10PSI static, would probably hit 60PSI under load at the end of the up stroke.

I always overengineer things, just like the factories did when they fitted exactly the same spec of valve.

Danger, is my business."
    So is 10psi too much? Didn't you talk about 18psi as a limit,what is that under load, about 100psi?
    I have yet to find a Schrader valve that the top limit does not FAR exceed what is required for a fork (usually less than 10psi). So did the factory "over engineer" the part , or just use what was commonly available which was just any Schrader valve.
    Last edited by o1marc; 07-28-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ravivos View Post
    ww, thanks... so just a basic 1/8" npt , got it.

Trial, when i converted my XJ550 front i came across a problem of finding the right bearings to fit the bigger axial... tried fitting a 22mm axial, but the outer race of the bearing had to be 42mm...
    looking at the strength table of these bearings, i found that a 22x42x13mm bearing is rather flimsy and wont hold.
    how did you manage to mount a thicker axial and get away with using smaller bearings ?
    another question, did you felt a major improvement using the thinker axial?

thanks for the info, will drill and tap the top fork covers to accept the valves.

I have not converted front ends, I was following the notion that you were replacing the entire front end.
    The comparison was to show you how modern bikes overcome the problems that are inherent to the older technology and the different way they have since overcome the same problems.

Absolutely you will feel a difference between an old economical fork setup and a new high-end one.

Absolutely you will feel the vastly improved performance difference between a 4 pot brake and a 2 pot brake on the same motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Any screw in pipe thread Schrader valve will work. Where were you this weekend? It was quiet and pleasant around here. But you've managed your way into every post here as usual, over 35 posts today before noon. You really don't have a life , do you?
    Gee, it sure seems like a life. At the racing on Sunday, hanging with a little blonde racer. She smiled like the Sun, all day long with pearly white teeth. She had far too much beaming positive energy. Hard to believe, but all too true. Then off to the hipster cafe, to slurp and look at the funky cats.

I know what type of valve works best, because I've tapped, fitted and used plenty of them. Some close quicker and are easier to adjust the pressure without excessive air pressure loss. That's experience for ya.

Danger, is my business."

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links