1977 GT500 - to do list - Page 7
Close

1977 GT500 - to do list

This is a discussion on 1977 GT500 - to do list within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; How much air pressure are your fork oil seals rated for ?:I … don't try to answer that it's a facetious question....

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1977 GT500 - to do list

How much air pressure are your fork oil seals rated for ?:I
    … don't try to answer that it's a facetious question.

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    So is 10psi too much? Didn't you talk about 18psi as a limit,what is that under load, about 100psi?
    I have yet to find a Schrader valve that the top limit does not FAR exceed what is required for a fork (usually less than 10psi). So did the factory "over engineer" the part , or just use what was commonly available which was just any Schrader valve.
    Go back and read all I wrote about air fork pressures. You didn't comprehend it the first time.

Danger, is my business."

I found a piece of Whitworth credentials:
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

When it comes down to it, a schreader valve is just a tube with a chamfer in one end with a spring loaded rod that has a cone on one end that matches the chamfer in the tube. when you attach an air source to the valve, it compresses the spring and pushes the cone out of the chamfer.

This allows air to enter.

When you remove the air source, the spring rebounds returning the cone to it's chamfer.

This seals your air chamber. AS long as you keep your core tight, it'll seal well.

For a pump, go hit up a good bike shop for a low pressure shock/fork pump. Anything for older Marzocchi Bombers will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Witworth View Post
    Go back and read all I wrote about air fork pressures. You didn't comprehend it the first time.

Danger, is my business."
    I read all you had to say. When you said "10psi is like 60psi at load", were you just stating numbers or advising against 10psi? One post says 8-12psi is normal, so the 10 I mentioned should be spot on and 60psi at load is good. You said exceeding 18psi is bad, so what about 15psi?

Someone should mount a pressure gauge on their Schrader valve and see what pressures are generated during use. That might actually be more of interest than anything Whit has to say.
    Tanshanomi and TrialsRider like this.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Gee, it sure seems like a life. At the racing on Sunday, hanging with a little blonde racer. She smiled like the Sun, all day long with pearly white teeth. She had far too much beaming positive energy. Hard to believe, but all too true. Then off to the hipster cafe, to slurp and look at the funky cats.

I know what type of valve works best, because I've tapped, fitted and used plenty of them. Some close quicker and are easier to adjust the pressure without excessive air pressure loss. That's experience for ya.

Danger, is my business."
    To tell you the truth, control for closing the valve is in the pump. The faster it disconnects, the faster the valve will close (after all, air pressure and the spring are both trying to close the valve...). And even then, any PSSSSSSSSSCH you hear upon removal is primarily from the air line, not the now closed valve.

Gee, it sure seems like a life. At the racing on Sunday, hanging with a little blonde racer. She smiled like the Sun, all day long with pearly white teeth. She had far too much beaming positive energy. Hard to believe, but all too true. Then off to the hipster cafe, to slurp and look at the funky cats.

I know what type of valve works best, because I've tapped, fitted and used plenty of them. Some close quicker and are easier to adjust the pressure without excessive air pressure loss. That's experience for ya.

Danger, is my business."

Nothing it writes actually says that it rides a motorcycle :|
    Wit stick with danger, you obviously don't know shite about the business of riding motorcycles. Being a bicycle rider, you probably don't even own an accurate low pressure air gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Nothing it writes actually says that it rides a motorcycle :|
    Wit stick with danger, you obviously don't know shite about the business of riding motorcycles. Being a bicycle rider, you probably don't even own an accurate low pressure air gauge.
    TR, if he actually understood bicycles, he'd understand how a fucking schrader valve worked...

Hey Walter, you have quick closing valves on that BMC?
    Last edited by Farmer_John; 07-28-2015 at 12:23 PM.
    TrialsRider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post
    For a pump, go hit up a good bike shop for a low pressure shock/fork pump. Anything for older Marzocchi Bombers will work.
    Or use the ball pump with gauge you need to get to pressure test your crankcase

Did a search for low pressure/volume pumps. Progressive sells one, less than 50 bucks:

Progressive Suspension Hand Pump - Motorcycle Superstore

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links