Unbelievable street sighting of NSR150
Close

This is a discussion on Unbelievable street sighting of NSR150 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; On the way home from church yesterday, I watched a twin-headlight, fully-faired sport bike come up to a red traffic light opposite us at an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Unbelievable street sighting of NSR150

On the way home from church yesterday, I watched a twin-headlight, fully-faired sport bike come up to a red traffic light opposite us at an intersection. As I was doing the typical bike spotter thing and attempting to identify it, I quickly realized the scale was off – this was one little bike, smaller than a Ninja 250. Oh, probably one of those little 150-200cc Chinese 4-stroke singles, like a Kymco Quannon 150. That's cool, haven't seen many of those.

But no! He blips the throttle and I see a telltale trail of blue smoke. Now I'm really looking closely! He gets a green arrow and turns left in front of us. My jaw drops – it's got a single-sided swingarm! From the shape of the headlights and fairing ducts, and the swingarm, I am 99% sure it was a '90s Honda NSR150 – a bike sold only in Southeast Asia.

Name:  6057769_orig.jpg
Views: 2556
Size:  44.2 KB

For about two seconds, I was ready to tell my wife to turn right and chase the guy down. But we had brunch reservations and were headed in the opposite direction.

How the hell one of those ended up in surburban Kansas City is totally beyond my comprehension.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 07-20-2015 at 09:10 AM.

A Guess: bulk container military transport back from asia ..I understand cars also came back this way that shouldn't before 911 ( i'd guess enough rank has advantages at the military's customs inspection's)...then its paperwork got shuffled for something sold here.... too cool!
    Lpst likes this.
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnystark View Post
    A Guess: bulk container military transport back from asia ..I understand cars also came back this way that shouldn't before 911 ( i'd guess enough rank has advantages at the military's customs inspection's)...then its paperwork got shuffled for something sold here.... too cool!
    When I was in the Navy we would put cars on the carriers and bring them home we wouldn't even need to go through customs, can rarely get them titled though in California. But other states were no problem, and if you were still active duty then you could keep YOUR out of country plates as long as you had your DOD stickers
    -Will

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lpst View Post
    When I was in the Navy we would put cars on the carriers and bring them home we wouldn't even need to go through customs, can rarely get them titled though in California. But other states were no problem, and if you were still active duty then you could keep YOUR out of country plates as long as you had your DOD stickers
    Same here. A couple of gammas were brought on board our destroyer...........one from Japan and the other I can't recall.......I think Australia.

Most just brought VD on board.
    Lpst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    Same here. A couple of gammas were brought on board our destroyer...........one from Japan and the other I can't recall.......I think Australia.

Most just brought VD on board.
    One year we just left Chile and an entire engineering division was in line at Med call with the same VD, they even had a couple chicks in line with em! Apparently they all went to the same party. Hahaha I will never forget one of them coming into the P Way yelling "But EM1, it burns when I pee!!!"
    Last edited by Lpst; 07-20-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    -Will

Grey market bikes were a pretty big thing in CA, back in the 90's. I had friends that had NS400's, TZR250's RGV250's, etc. Heck, I even had a Japanese market, only, CRM250R which was a 2 stroke dual sport. (Basically, an oil injected 6 speed CR250 wih more low end and a softer suspension, with lights, turn signals and a license plate.)
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

FWIW: Early '90s is now 25 years ago, and if IIRC 25 years means the bike being imported doesn't have to meet any emissions or DOT standards. Bonus points are they go by date of manufacture, not model year.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

They were mostly imported into Thailand and Taiwan. The Taiwanese company kymco got the rights to produce them in the late 90s.

There is a lot of them over here in Taiwan as well as other two stroke 125s. Lots of parts avaliable means they are cheap little pocket rockets.

A american friend of mine owns a nsr 150 and they are a blast to ride on. great for small roads like we have here in Taiwan and weaving through Asian traffic.
    Tanshanomi likes this.

wouldn't some level of DOT still have to be met?... Thinking you could be ticketed for not meeting the dot standards that were in place at the time its manufacture or is being over 25 year old exempting you from all that? ... for instance tires not highway DOT certified could garner you a ticket ...
    78' SR500
    64' YG1S
    15' XT250

We had the NSR150SP sold over here from 01-03 I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links