What I learned today...
Close

What I learned today...

This is a discussion on What I learned today... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; In MSF school. There are a lot of people that want to ride motorcycles that should really never ride again after tomorrow. If they bother ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What I learned today...

What I learned today...

In MSF school.

There are a lot of people that want to ride motorcycles that should really never ride again after tomorrow.

If they bother to show up.

Fucking scary.

Two girls in the one I took; Neither knew what the clutch was the first time on the bikes. Both passed with flying colors. Daddy bought one a new Ninja 250. Probably not a bad choice, normally, in Tampa, great way to get ran over. The other, she got a new GSX-R600. I wouldn't be surprised if she died on it.
    www.slipstreamcycle.com

These are the type that split lanes on a sportster and take out my mirror.

I really can't believe the dmv passes some that can barely balance their machine. It's unsafe for them and for others around them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I can't really recall many riders that I trained, who should not be on the road. In either aptitude or attitude.

The Harley guys who only had car licenses, but rode motorcycles for years anyhow, were probably the worst. I think they were petrified that they'd make total fools of themselves when riding the course, in front of women, or someone would snap a photo with them on a Japper, that would end up on the wall at the local bar, or somewheres. They'd roll their eyes around, knowing there was no way to escape the tiddler bike horror embarrassment scenario.

Funny when the course was done, they were often like over-excited girls after owning a shiny red Vespa for a summer's month. Knowing how to actually control a motorcycle for the first time, truly shocked, stimulated and amazed them. God only knows how bad their riding on the street was before. Then their latent homo bonding with the "hero" instructor kicks in. Much like at high school, after K.O.ing a dick, and then it's all wanting to be happy-loving shipmates. I can do without it, thanks. Loner me.

I had one guy who couldn't even ride a tiny scooter, even after days of dedicated one on one instruction. Less said about that unco clump the better.

I had one "joe cool" in a Brando jacket once, who's attitude and ignorance totally sucked. Doing short hop mini-burnouts and was genuinely too cool for school. What a TPITA. I found him in a pine forest with his marijuana plants one day, months later, that was a laugh. Not anywhere near as cool then, aye! I don't know if he thought I was deputized and ready to bust him, rip him off, or both. T'was fun watching him squirm, though. Meh-ijuana: not my job.

Danger, is my business."

I used to recommend to wannabe new riders that wanted to ride on road to take a year or two and learn in the dirt. I also told them that they should only move to the road after being able to comfortably push their dirt bike sliding and maintain control. No one ever listened. I would not want a new rider I care about to drive in the conditions I witness these days where I live. I can almost guarantee that I will come across a poorly trimmed left turned once a day and II hi/lo beam the cars that look suspect and some still pull out. I am going to be getting a helmet cam so there is some evidence for the one I don't miss.

Quote Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
    I used to recommend to wannabe new riders that wanted to ride on road to take a year or two and learn in the dirt. I also told them that they should only move to the road after being able to comfortably push their dirt bike sliding and maintain control. No one ever listened. I would not want a new rider I care about to drive in the conditions I witness these days where I live. I can almost guarantee that I will come across a poorly trimmed left turned once a day and II hi/lo beam the cars that look suspect and some still pull out. I am going to be getting a helmet cam so there is some evidence for the one I don't miss.
    That's amusingly scary. In the UK, flashing your headlights is an invitation for the person to pull out in front of you, i.e. that you're giving them a space in front.
    Ignorance Is Bliss

Quote Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
    I totally agree with the dirt riding. If you learn control in less than optimal conditions, the transition to better conditions better prepares you for the little surprises that do happen.

But I disagree on the flashing thing. They may see it, but will they acknowledge it by not running you over anyway?

Class had 2 fails. A know it all kid that dropped the bike in the figure 8 box and a nice lady who just never got comfortable on the bike.

I did well (100% written, lost 1 point riding. Was under their speed threshold on entrance to the curve, though I powered out purposefully) and tried like hell to retrain my brain to not be a 2 finger braker and right side dominant (I tend to mount/dismount from the right...to the instructors a Bozo no no).

Nic, I agree with nicebikemate about flashing the headlight. I would consider that a "go ahead" signal.

Farmerjohn, whyveould it make any difference what side you get off/on from? I figure 99% of us mount/dismount from the left side, but no harm doing it from right- actually in the USA I would think it would be safer to dismount from the right (curb side).
    Personally I have a hard time getting on and especially pushing a bike from the right side.

Back when I did a poll here the consensus was left side. Because our ancestors hung their swords on the left, so got on their horses from left.

My buddy did his MSF a few years ago and never went back to get his full license,
    I keep getting on his case about it, because I have 2 street bikes :/ if he just went and got the rest of it we could go riding.

He was the only student to get 100% in their history to date. Had a lot of fun with it too apparently, he didn't mention going in that he was a national expert champion trials rider.
    After the course he wanted to ride their little motorcycle over the garbage dumpsters real bad, but the trainers weren't up for it. … they have no sense of humour those trainers
    thechief86 likes this.

Oh, there was a bonus

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  1.05 MB

Well worth the price of admission. I may never use it, but I'll find a place to stow it on either bike...just in case I fall in with a bunch of BMW riders...
    Tanshanomi likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links