Starting point? - Page 2
Close

Starting point?

This is a discussion on Starting point? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by hillsy He's about to lose his job and has a wife on the couch. The words "No - you already have a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Starting point?

Quote Originally Posted by hillsy View Post
    He's about to lose his job and has a wife on the couch. The words "No - you already have a motorbike" aren't far away...

And he said "without breaking the budget" which is very different from "having a budget". IE it's code for "I think it should only cost half as much as it actually will cost"
    Wasn't it you that said "triple the budget and add 10%"? You can't break a budget if you don't have one.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

It means you are being laid off work because your job has been made redundant.
    So I guess the GT is out of the question then. We'll there's the GPZ to play around with then

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    Wasn't it you that said "triple the budget and add 10%"? You can't break a budget if you don't have one.
    I might have said that - but that would have been the older "already-spent-too-much-money-on-non-running-bikes" me as opposed to the younger "so-what-if-it's-not-running-it's-only-$300" me.

When a new guy comes in and talks about "not breaking the budget" you pretty much know his idea of a budget is going to be nowhere near realistic.
    o1marc likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by squeaky2288 View Post
    Hi all, as a new member who is about to be made redundant at Christmas, I am looking for advice as to what bike to start a project with !
    With the wife watching soaps from 6pm till 9pm each night, I have three hours daily to start my first attempt at a cafe racer. I am in no rush and just want to do a good job without breaking the budget. Any suggestions please, bearing in mind I have a 1997 GPZ500S sitting in the garage that o lyneeds replacement fuel lines to pass yet another mot.
    You didn't give too much away in the intro regarding your budget.
    FZR's seem to be a fairly good buy. The one in the pic is on ebay for £900. I'm not suggesting making a "cafe racer" with it, but it might make an interesting reasonably priced project.
    The other pic is a project which I nearly bought myself a few days ago, it's a Steelheart engineering frame with a CBR600 engine, ZXR front end, VFR swingarm. The seller wants £1400 for it, so not exactly cheap, as there's still lots to do/spend, nonetheless it would make an excellent project.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    thechief86 likes this.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
    that was me. i'm a fan of realism.

like whenever someone rings and asks me to be involved in their "project" it means they want me to do stuff for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    The other pic is a project which I nearly bought myself a few days ago, it's a Steelheart engineering frame with a CBR600 engine, ZXR front end, VFR swingarm. The seller wants £1400 for it, so not exactly cheap, as there's still lots to do/spend, nonetheless it would make an excellent project.
    do you have any hassles getting a custom frame registered over there? looks like a cool thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    do you have any hassles getting a custom frame registered over there? looks like a cool thing to me.
    In the UK you can even register a road bike without a headlight (day-use-only registration).

They seem to be far more reasonable than over here when it comes to modified bikes.

In the UK you can even register a road bike without a headlight (day-use-only registration).

They seem to be far more reasonable than over here when it comes to modified bikes.
    Not only are headlights required, they are required to be on during the day in most places here.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    I wasn't sure how to go about registering a custom frame, until recently. Apparently the easiest way is to buy a cheap used frame with V5. Then stamp the number of the used frame to the custom one. As long as the used frame is destroyed there won't be any problems.
    Insurance may be a little harder to get though.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I wasn't sure how to go about registering a custom frame, until recently. Apparently the easiest way is to buy a cheap used frame with V5. Then stamp the number of the used frame to the custom one. As long as the used frame is destroyed there won't be any problems.
    Insurance may be a little harder to get though.
    So if you steal a new bike and change the numbers to your bike, as long as you destroy your frame you have a new bike. Really? Over here you would be going to jail if you did that.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links