A Bike for Sasquatch.
Close

A Bike for Sasquatch.

This is a discussion on A Bike for Sasquatch. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Greetings all. After stumbling all over the internet reading on my newfound motorsport, this is where I landed. I come from a long, long, long ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A Bike for Sasquatch.

A Bike for Sasquatch.

Greetings all. After stumbling all over the internet reading on my newfound motorsport, this is where I landed.

I come from a long, long, long history of wrenching. Mostly built 4x4s that I'd destroy in one day and rebuild the following six. Left that life and traded four wheels for two. No idea why I've waited so long to start riding.

About three months ago I made my first bike purchase; 86 Honda XL250R. Love the dual sport capabilities. I've taken that 250 all through New England and even into Canada. After bringing home pics and movies of my day trips, my wife wants to get into riding. We've started shopping around for a Rebel and Virago 250 for her (she is 100% stuck on a cruiser). In the meantime, I've decided that I should look for something that has a bit more oomph and a bit more street friendly. The 250 I've been riding now is fine, but it tops out at 70 and forget passing anything above 40mph; just doesn't have the balls to do it. I've checked out cruisers, but I cannot stand riding around like a chick at gyno visit. So this past week or so I've been checking out old school bikes to tinker with over the winter.

Currently my issue has been finding a bike that fits me. With the boots I wear while riding (Chippewas), I'm 6'5". My legs are in the range of 37" inseam with size 16 feet dangling from them. I'm a tall, lanky, hairy, not necessarily fat (solid 220#) bastard.

That being said, here is a bike I'm checking out this weekend:

Its 2.5h away. Asking $500. Wife and I are going to make a day trip out of getting there in my truck stopping at a few places on the way. At first I was full on wanting it, but now I'm starting to recant my thoughts. How terrible is it going to be for me to fit on that thing? I'm not new to using a welder or grinder, so I feel fine fabbing something to fit me. But realistically, is a 500 too small? I'm not looking to do 150mph anytime soon, but having the power there wouldn't be a bad thing.

There are a handful of other bikes I've found too:

Would I be better off with something like that? I don't mind cleaning carbs or that stuff. As cheap as it sounds, I don't want to spend much more than $500. I'll take this winter to throw some money at it and make something of it for next year.

tl;dr

How bad is a 6'5" guy going to fit on a 78 CX500? Should I pass on anything below 750?

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to poking around here for a bit.

none of those bikes are any good because most are trashed and need stuff. But you are on the right track - a big honking superbike from the early 1980s are good for big guys.

I'm 6'5" with a 34 inch inseam. Here are the bikes I tend to find the most comfortable and gravitate towards:
    - 1977-1979 GS750
    - 1978-1983 GS1000, GS1100, GS1150
    - 1973-1985 KZ900-1000 and GPZ models
    - 1979-1982 CB750F/900F/1100F (not the C model like in your last ad posted)
    - XS1100 standard model (not the special, not sure of the year)
    - Airhead BMW
    - Flying Brick BMW

Stay away from the cx500 plastic maggot. It's too small and the bike is generally garbage anyway. That one you posted? extra garbage. You are going to get there and see it and think "WTF is this shit".
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

A GS 1000 you say?

I'm going to feel like a giant dick, but I should probably cancel on that CX500 huh?

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yes, cancel on the cx500.

Why are you looking at sub $1000 bikes?

Here are the basics:
    1) don't ever buy anything without a title (unless you have vast experience with getting titles in your state and are possibly a lawyer).
    2) The cheaper a bike is, the more money you need to spend to get it up to par. A free bike is the most expensive bike known to man. Every single goddamn one of thise shit heaps you have posted needs between $1000-$1200 in parts alone and that is from looking at tiny pictures that make my eyes hurt. That's pure parts cost, not labor cost.
    3) Hiding your location is stupid. People can't help you if they don't know where you live. Nobody from this forum is going to steal your shit or come to your house and shoot you for things you say here.
    4) you buy all the PO's parts at a 75% discount and all the labor is free. The secret to a good deal is that he spent a lot on parts and has good quality labor.

With that said - buy a running, riding, titled, recently ridden motorcycle and pay more than $500 bucks for it. Budget $2K, most japanese superbikes in good nick should come in around $1500-1800 depending on model, some may be $2500 at most (except 1973-75 Z1's - their prices are crazytown). If you don't have more than $500 then forget this whole thing and focus on saving up about $3K and then revisit.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    yes, cancel on the cx500.

Why are you looking at sub $1000 bikes?
    Just paid oil, 1/2 a cow, property taxes next month, and picked up some land. I'm in the process of selling off a bunch of 4x4 parts. <$1000 is what I have to play with right now.

Here are the basics:
    1) don't ever buy anything without a title (unless you have vast experience with getting titles in your state and are possibly a lawyer).
    I live in NH. No title needed.

2) The cheaper a bike is, the more money you need to spend to get it up to par. A free bike is the most expensive bike known to man. Every single goddamn one of thise shit heaps you have posted needs between $1000-$1200 in parts alone and that is from looking at tiny pictures that make my eyes hurt. That's pure parts cost, not labor cost.
    Something I totally 100% understand. I'm more looking for a winter project to dub around with right now. My experience with bikes is pretty much nothing. I can install/adjust drive chain, tighten/loosen valve clearances, and basic stuff like that. This is more going to be a learning process for me. If it costs me $1000 more to do it myself, fine. I'll learn a bunch of things on the way, and in the end have a bike that I fixed up.

3) Hiding your location is stupid. People can't help you if they don't know where you live. Nobody from this forum is going to steal your shit or come to your house and shoot you for things you say here.
    I've had issues before with people knowing my location. I wasn't on the friendliest of forums. People find out where I work and thought it would be funny to post pictures of my house via Google and prank call my work. Forgive me for being a bit....protective. Just putting too much information out there has really bitten me before.

4) you buy all the PO's parts at a 75% discount and all the labor is free. The secret to a good deal is that he spent a lot on parts and has good quality labor.
    Holy hell, this is exactly what I'm going through right now. I've parted out a really nicely running 4x4 (I got more money for it) recently. I got about ten cents to the dollar. And forget the three years of fabricating.

All in all, I don't mind spending some extra money to fix it up. Its a winter project. The amount I have been spending in 4x4s does not and remotely compare to what I have spent on bikes. I was dropping thousands after thousands into my rig on a continuous basis. I really just miss having something in the garage to tinker with.

As an owner of both a CX and an 8 valve GS

A GS.

Hm. Duly noted.

There is this one:
    GS1000 Suzuki

A bit of a drive away from me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Just paid oil, 1/2 a cow, property taxes next month, and picked up some land. I'm in the process of selling off a bunch of 4x4 parts. <$1000 is what I have to play with right now.
    Well I've never purchased oil......bought a 1/2 of pig before and I live in San Diego......property taxes are coo coo and.....also property taxes for land I own but the advice is solid.

I would save a little more for a better ride. I've already learned many times the hard way that buying on the cheap is exactly the opposite. Of all the bikes you listed...none of them are rare or special. The cleanest looking one has a toolbox open in the ad....never a good sign.

Consider this......

The Honda 750 for sale...seems like a good low price of $700.... Maybe negotiate a little down even better. But then Geeto is correct about the $$ your going to put in it. Your around 2K and all that time into it. The aluminum is corroded, the finish a ugly, wheels, etc. you could probably purchase a good example of that machine for $2500 to $3000 in near pristine condition....one that was low ownership, miles and probably garaged its entire life...saving the original finish. To get that looking original and pristine will put you back at least 4K.......if you could paint it yourself.

I'm 6ft but 260 and all these little bikes with the exception of the CX will get up and boogie. Have fun.

What ever you think your budget is, triple it and add 10% for incidentals and you'll be closer to reality.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Can't imagine you would be happy on a CX500. I use one occasionally for beer runs and find I'm always ringing it's neck and searching for another higher gear… and I weigh about 100lbs less than you.

I don't hate them as much as some. They did serve their purpose and would go forever if cared for.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 09-10-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links