for you hip artsy motorcycle enthusiast types-
Close

for you hip artsy motorcycle enthusiast types-

This is a discussion on for you hip artsy motorcycle enthusiast types- within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Coffee and Motorcycles Together in The Artwork of Your Dreams | Cycle World: Carter Asmann?s motorcycle illustrations roll on caffeine wheels....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: for you hip artsy motorcycle enthusiast types-

Cool for you hip artsy motorcycle enthusiast types-

I feel a bit more awake just looking at them!

see...that guy. he's an artist. that's what creativity and technical know how (and probably years of training) in his craft looks like. Next time someone refers to their bike as their art I am going to point to this and ask "are you this guy? no? then you are not an artist".
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Actually Geeto, I've been doing custom airbrush work, sketching, carving and various art forms most of my life. I've been called an artist though never given myself that label. When I see someone who can take a pile of nuts and bolts and metal and bend and curve it just the right way, get it proportioned properly, give it a visual flow and harmony and so on. To me that is an artist at work. Not everyone who can spin a wrench is but some are just awe inspiring. Actually I think the artist who did the coffee and Bikes thing sees that and that's why he drew it. Just my respectful opinion.
    themikeetienne likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

It's definitely neat. But I'd like it better if he just drew the wheels, too.
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by thechief86 View Post
    It's definitely neat. But I'd like it better if he just drew the wheels, too.
    Yea I was kinda thinkin he could drop the coffee stains and still have some great illustrations. I guess the idea was supposed to be he made the ring with his coffee and just naturally thought bike. I once patched some wall damage in my kitchen and when I stood back I saw Alfred Hitchcock's silhouette in the mud so I grabbed a pencil and sketched it. The wife thought I was nuts (still does) but when I was done she made me leave it there. It's painted now but he's there just behind it. Kinda creepy now I read that part back hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    Yea I was kinda thinkin he could drop the coffee stains and still have some great illustrations. I guess the idea was supposed to be he made the ring with his coffee and just naturally thought bike. I once patched some wall damage in my kitchen and when I stood back I saw Alfred Hitchcock's silhouette in the mud so I grabbed a pencil and sketched it. The wife thought I was nuts (still does) but when I was done she made me leave it there. It's painted now but he's there just behind it. Kinda creepy now I read that part back hehe.
    I fail to see the point where we disagree. I'm not talking about real artists, people who would never actually call themselves artists. I am talking about the dipshits that come here and talk about their expression of their feelings though motorcycles and how the motorcycle is art in an of itself. It's not fucking art its a motorcycle.

The best and worst thing that happened to this hobby was the "art of the motorcycle". As a standalone I get it and it did do a lot of good getting attention to motorcycles in circles where they normally were at best a foot note as well as help the fine art community start to accept them as kinetic sculpture. However, it also imbued this idea to the no nothing masses that there something intrinsically artistic about motorcycles and EVERY motorcycle is art and ever custom bike is more art which just isn't true.

stick around here you'll see what I mean. Won't be a week before some other noob waltzes in here and waxes poetic about how their cb400T is going to be the ultimate expression of their lifestyle...blah blah blah
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

[QUOTE Next time someone refers to their bike as their art I am going to point to this and ask "are you this guy? no? then you are not an artist".[/QUOTE]

Well you can see how this quote could be misconstrued. But it's a mute point cuz you explained what ya meant anyway. I know the types you're talking about. They're f#kn everywhere. When the expressionist art door opens anyone can walk through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    Next time someone refers to their bike as their art I am going to point to this and ask "are you this guy? no? then you are not an artist".
    Well you can see how this quote could be misconstrued. But it's a mute point cuz you explained what ya meant anyway. I know the types you're talking about. They're f#kn everywhere. When the expressionist art door opens anyone can walk through it.
    Everybody thinks they are cezanne, metisse, or latrec when they move beyond paint by numbers and bob ross lessons.

Since we are talking about art and motorcycles I think Shinya Kimura is a good example of what we talk about when we talk about art and motorcycles. When you look at his work it is actually fin art that happens to be a motorcycle. Really he creates kenetic sculpture and it shows - there is a craftsmanship and art in his work and the fact that it is a motorcycle and it moves under it's own power is part of the art. compare this to say someone who builds a formulaic type of chopper and adorns it with paint and calls it art - the motorcycle it self isn't part of the art anymore than say the canvas is in an oil painting. Most people who aren't fine art critics, dealers, etc don't look at starry night and comment on the canvas frame or texture.

I guess what I liked about the above illustrations this thread is about is that is was simple and clever. It is hard to really capture cleverness in art so when it happens, and especially in a simple way, it stands out. I mean the guy had to be an illustrator as well because if it was stick figures and crayon I doubt it would have had the same impact. that same cleverness is sometimes why I will look at a race bike in the pits and see something the constructor fabricated to solve an issue and presents as an elegant solution and realize I am looking at true art.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 09-23-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks for the tip, I had a look at Shinya's work. Wasn't familiar with it. Wild stuff, Absolutely, his bikes are the art. Not what the art is on. The chromed to the tits, muraled front to back choppers you see far too often are no comparison. Sure the mural was applied by an artist but as you say the bike is just the canvass. Now if we're talkin body painting Victoria's Secrets models then that's a different story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links