Emgo Shocks? thoughts?
Close

Emgo Shocks? thoughts?

This is a discussion on Emgo Shocks? thoughts? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I know EMGO is a dirty word around here as in "'Em Go in the trash" for any parts made, but..... ....recently I have noticed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Emgo Shocks? thoughts?

Emgo Shocks? thoughts?

I know EMGO is a dirty word around here as in "'Em Go in the trash" for any parts made, but.....

....recently I have noticed that they have started selling shocks. The shocks themselves look like old 60's girling replicas, although I don't think they are rebuildable. On average they are retailing for $119 a pair. Doing a quick google search has turned up a lot of forums discussing them with generally positive reviews with the only complaint being that out of the box the spring rate is too stiff for lighter riders (under 200lbs).

Having been burned by nearly every piece I have ever bought with EMGO on the box (except two "viper" fairings which have actually been awesome but still needed a but load of fill and sand to be smooth for paint) I am kind of leery. I can't imagine a company like EMGO actually manufacturers anything but rather subcontracts for products so someone has to be making these replicas for them white label, I have a feeling it is NJB as the bodies seem very similar but one could easily say that about progressive which is also a girling type replica shock.

So for $119 should I give it a try? I want to put them on the patina flip special because the vintage progressive magnums I was going to use are shot and while I can dress up a new set of progressives with my old hardware to make it look vintage new 12 series progressives are $100+ more.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I've tried them, and although they were a little stiff they worked ok. They didn't seem to dampen as much as the Hagons on my cb350, and I'm not sure how long they'll last. If they're the same as i put on my xs850, they're still better than the stock ones were, at 1 year old vs. 35 years old. If things go the way I hope they're going to, the guy riding the 750 is about your size, but truthfully, I've prepped him to go ahead and buy some Hagons, so if you don't want to spend the cash to put shocks on there, don't worry about it. ( We're more interested in getting the second brake caliper working)
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

thanks Chief. I'll hold off then. The bike is so close to ride-able right now I was just scratching an itch.
    thechief86 likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I recently got a set from MAP. I bought from MAP cause they listed the spring rates and lengths and to boot the prices were really good inline with others.
    They work well on my Montesa flat tracker, however I don't ride it every day nor on the road.
    Last edited by 44dwarf; 09-24-2015 at 11:10 AM.
    \"Smok\'in the competition NOT Tobacco\"
    \"Transplant organs, Don\'t bury them!\"

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    thanks Chief. I'll hold off then. The bike is so close to ride-able right now I was just scratching an itch.
    Do you know Oliver Lee Bateman ? He quotes the same signature line.

Quote Originally Posted by TCed View Post
    Do you know Oliver Lee Bateman ? He quotes the same signature line.
    I have no idea who that is. The quote in my signature line about failing better comes from noted author and playwright Samuell Beckett from his work "Worstward Ho". For a long time in the pre internet days it was the mantra of literary types trying to become professional writers since like many crafts proficiency is forged in the kiln of failure. So basically if you were an english major in college pre 1999 you and your geeky well read friends would know it and that's about it.

Now for some reason it has become a mantra for silicon valley and the IT types that inhabit that world, so with the internet comes exposure outside literary geeks.

But I think it had some relevance here for the newbies who come here and fall flat on their faces and get all self conscious about it. Failure is a part of life and more importantly part of the success cycle. If you can't get right with failure you can't ever know success. the world is too great and life too short to be hung up on failure and how it makes you feel like less - failure can give you more if you realize it.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Shocks for what bike?
    Don't you have a bunch of CB750 shocks?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

I have no idea who that is. The quote in my signature line about failing better comes from noted author and playwright Samuell Beckett from his work "Worstward Ho". For a long time in the pre internet days it was the mantra of literary types trying to become professional writers since like many crafts proficiency is forged in the kiln of failure. So basically if you were an english major in college pre 1999 you and your geeky well read friends would know it and that's about it.

Now for some reason it has become a mantra for silicon valley and the IT types that inhabit that world, so with the internet comes exposure outside literary geeks.

But I think it had some relevance here for the newbies who come here and fall flat on their faces and get all self conscious about it. Failure is a part of life and more importantly part of the success cycle. If you can't get right with failure you can't ever know success. the world is too great and life too short to be hung up on failure and how it makes you feel like less - failure can give you more if you realize it.
    Bateman is a frustrated college prof, lawyer, writer.

Quote Originally Posted by TCed View Post
    Bateman is a frustrated college prof, lawyer, writer.
    we are all frustrated as writers and lawyers. I can't speak to college professors but I imagine them too.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

there's a great youtube video featuring adam savage talking about failing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links