Best Place to Sell This Bike - Page 2
Close

Best Place to Sell This Bike

This is a discussion on Best Place to Sell This Bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; the bike is so unique the best place to sell it is ebay or one of the big motorcycle auctions, it's worth whatever a buyer ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best Place to Sell This Bike

the bike is so unique the best place to sell it is ebay or one of the big motorcycle auctions, it's worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it and there is no better way than a bidding process. I am not convinced that parting it out will yield a higher price as there are some very specific parts, like the chambers, that only work for this specific bike or someone building a bike that is very similar and wouldn't necessarily bring a high dollar outside of adding value to the project as a whole.

I wouldn't sell it with restoration services attached, whomever buys this is going to want to figure out the best way to handle the bike (preserve, 10 foot resto, full tilt cleanup) and having them married to your services limits the buyer pool.

You either get to restore it and then sell it, or sell it and let the next guy deal with the resto, it's a very rare situation when you get to sell it and then restore and often it comes with enough pain in the ass buyer expectations that the likelihood that everyone is unhappy at the end is high.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 11-09-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    kerosene likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Would you sell it just as it is then without any work?

That $10k price seems a lot more reasonable in restored condition. If you need the money though why spend the time and money to restore? Or is the plan to have someone pay you upfront and you restore it for them?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by TSwami View Post
    Would you sell it just as it is then without any work?

That $10k price seems a lot more reasonable in restored condition. If you need the money though why spend the time and money to restore? Or is the plan to have someone pay you upfront and you restore it for them?
    I have no idea what it's actual value is, so it is better to start high and work from there. I'll start there and see what is offered and in what condition. A sale to commission to build it would be nice. I do powder coating for a living so doing all that is easy to make it fresh. Either this one or the Sand Cast CB750 are going to have to go soon.
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Have you done a realistic cost estimate for your labor and parts to restore ?
    Also to a prospective buyer what qualified you as a restoration pro ?
    Sell it as is and move on.

I think that any "resto" REALLY hurts the value and vastly limits the buyer pool.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Wehn will it be delivered to you? If you decide to sell it as is I would be very interested.
    raven likes this.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Yeah... were I in the market, I'd want it as is or already restored. I agree with Geeto, the odds of anyone being happy at the end of a pre-sold restoration are pretty slim. If you need the money, sell it as is. Don't put a cent into it and don't commit any time to it.

I do powder coating for a living so doing all that is easy to make it fresh.
    You have no idea how much that statement would scare me if I was considering having you restore a '60s project bike.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    Yeah... were I in the market, I'd want it as is or already restored. I agree with Geeto, the odds of anyone being happy at the end of a pre-sold restoration are pretty slim. If you need the money, sell it as is. Don't put a cent into it and don't commit any time to it.

You have no idea how much that statement would scare me if I was considering having you restore a '60s project bike.
    Why does that statement scare you?
    www.CreativeCandy.org

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, too old to take an ass whooping, and a cop is too heavy.

Because powder coating shouldn't be used on a restored 60s era motorcycle.
    jaguar likes this.

Yeah, I think many real buyers would question you as to why you would PC a bike like that as part of the restoration.
    It isn't a dig, it is just something to think about.

Also the looks are going to be WAY down on the list of concerns a real buyer will have.
    -Is anything missing
    -Anything there that is special broken?
    -What shape are the mag wheels in. cracks?
    -Engine turn over?
    -Anyone that is serious will be running the numbers to open up the engine.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links