Cleveland Cyclewerks. - Page 7
Close

Cleveland Cyclewerks.

This is a discussion on Cleveland Cyclewerks. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I did do the 600 mile service already, which was a valve adjustment, air filter clean and oiling, oil, filter, and chain adjustment. After the ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Cleveland Cyclewerks.

I did do the 600 mile service already, which was a valve adjustment, air filter clean and oiling, oil, filter, and chain adjustment. After the first oil change at 200 miles there was no more swarf in the filter. I changed it every 200 miles until I hit 600 miles, as that's part of the break-in procedure. My next service interval is 2600 miles. I'll keep you all posted!

Charles.

1800 miles and no problems. Bike is running great. I'm riding the piss out of it, really flogging it, and.... well, it's wearing out the rear tire really quickly. Otherwise everything is perfect. I've seen 86 indicated, in a full tuck, downhill, on a calm day. But mostly it holds at 74 on the highway on level ground, slowing down to as low as 66 on long uphill stretches. Usually not below 68mph though, except on the really long hills. On backroads with steeper grades it can slow down quite a bit more. BUT I'm also 250 lbs. Smaller people will have a huge advantage in holding speed.

Nothing has fallen off or broken or failed. It starts every time and I've had it pushing redline regularly. I'll post back in another few thousand miles, but so far everything is great.

Charles.
    woodsman and Geeto67 like this.

Cleveland Cyclewerks

Rear tire wore out really fast. I checked the pressure and filled it to the recommended 36 psi at about 1000 miles. Tire looked fine then. At 2000 miles tire was toast. The center was completely gone. Looked at old tire when I had it on the machine... 36psi is the MAXIMUM pressure for the tire. Not the recommended pressure. Something lost in translation I think. Since the 250 virago has similar tires and weight, I decided to go by those specs. For my weight that’d be 28 front 30 rear. Not 36/36 like I have been running.

The stock chain wore pretty fast too... but since it’s not an o ring type that’s not unexpected. I could have gotten 4K out of it, maybe 5. At 2000 miles it was halfway through the adjustment range, but I was having to adjust it every other ride. (About every 150 miles). Instead of letting it wear out and damage the sprockets I just went ahead and put an x-ring chain on it. I expect it to last forever 🙂

Put a factory luggage rack on it too, and I have an idea to build saddlebag guards next. New tire is a Heideneu K66 130/80/15, which is about an inch smaller in diameter than a new stock tire, or 0.76” smaller than my worn stock tire.

K66 handles great on the street but the stock tire was far better in deep gravel and mud. The sidewall lugs are missed.

Just riding it and enjoying it. Coming up on the 2600 mile service soon.

Charles.
    Geeto67 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Pic with new tire and rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    woodsman and Geeto67 like this.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
    Pic with new tire and rack.
    Looks better than most of the bikes that wind up on here...
    including mine.

I would get a quality tire, though.

Looks like an oversized scooter. I am surprised the frame hasn't cracked at the welds or the exhaust joints or the engine hasn't lost compression or spun a bearing or puked it's coolant into the crankcase yet. Oh wait, it's aircooled.
    Last edited by jcw; 04-29-2019 at 03:52 PM.

It’s got a 31” seat height and a 57” wheelbase. It’s the same size as a moto guzzi v7 Racer. Not a scooter. The tire brand is well known on the ADVRider site, it’s not junk. It’s just finding a dual sport pattern for a 15” rim is difficult. There are two options - the CST/Maxxis OEM tire, or the Heideneu K66. I really like the k66 for the street. It’s not as good on gravel as the CST. I like it more because it’s 1” smaller in diameter (it’s an 80 series instead of a 90 series), and that gives me lower gearing without having to replace the tire AND rear sprocket.

The welds are all good. I’m 250 lbs and have jumped it (slightly) over railroad tracks a couple times already. No drama at all.

Charles.

jcw
    You've put a scooter tire on a motorcycle. And insist it doesn't look like a scooter and it's a good tire?
    AND complain that it only lasts 2000 miles?

Any company that sells a tire that looks like this is suspect in my book...
    Name:  P29.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  22.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
    It’s got a 31” seat height and a 57” wheelbase. It’s the same size as a moto guzzi v7 Racer. Not a scooter. The tire brand is well known on the ADVRider site, it’s not junk. It’s just finding a dual sport pattern for a 15” rim is difficult. There are two options - the CST/Maxxis OEM tire, or the Heideneu K66. I really like the k66 for the street. It’s not as good on gravel as the CST. I like it more because it’s 1” smaller in diameter (it’s an 80 series instead of a 90 series), and that gives me lower gearing without having to replace the tire AND rear sprocket.

The welds are all good. I’m 250 lbs and have jumped it (slightly) over railroad tracks a couple times already. No drama at all.

Charles.
    Last edited by jcw; 04-30-2019 at 07:16 AM.

I know nothing about that particular tire, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with Heidenau as a brand.

And the tire that wore out in 2000 miles was the OE one this is replacing, which He said was a CST, NOT a Heidenau. Not many Chinese factories use German tires.
    Last edited by Tanshanomi; 04-30-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    jcw likes this.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    I know nothing about that particular tire, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with Heidenau as a brand.

And the tire that wore out in 2000 miles was the OE one this is replacing, which He said was a CST, NOT a Heidenau. Not many Chinese factories use German tires.
    The K66 tire is coming up as a scooter tire on some of the tire sites I use. I don't even find it under the motorcycle section on Heidenau's own website. It's under the scooter section.
    Got it on the OEM lasting only 2000miles. Missed that.

Either way, I'd get a better tire for the ride is all I'm saying.

The adv guys have been using these tires on motorcycles for a while now. Some kind of legal requirement for snow tires in Canada during the winter months, and this is a four-season tire with the markings. These tires also specifically state they can be used on motorcycles. Handles great and I’m happy with it so far.

Charles.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links