Cleveland Cyclewerks. - Page 9
Close

Cleveland Cyclewerks.

This is a discussion on Cleveland Cyclewerks. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Less than mediocrity is the best term i can think of that defines this thread... And it has more views than any project of recent ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Cleveland Cyclewerks.

jcw
    Less than mediocrity is the best term i can think of that defines this thread...

And it has more views than any project of recent memory.

Congrats.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
    FYI, I just talked to John B, the general manager with Heidenau Tires USA, and he said there is no difference between their scooter and motorcycle tires, except for the rim sizes. So long as the load and speed ratings are within spec, the tire is suitable for a motorcycle.

Charles
    That just reinforces to me what a crappy tire company that is then...
    Can you imagine pirelli stating their scooter tire and their trackday tire are the same thing except for size?
    Cmon, man.

jcw
    Basically you've assembled a scooter that looks like a motorcycle...

And you have the audience applauding!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I think of it more as a new bike real world review...and the harsh reality is Car and Driver outsells Grassroots Motorsports on the newsstand all day every day.

I'll be honest, I used to hate the cheap Chinese scooters that companies would bring in and sell cheap by the truckload. I had to do inspections on them and they were always a cut hair from literally falling apart. So no-name brand motorcycles raises the hair on the back of my neck with loathing.

That being said I am a let the product do the talking person, and it's hard to ignore honest (presumably) feedback and data. Companies like Cleveland Cycleworks and SSR motorsports (who are also importing benelli) are proving that there is a market in america for small displacement machines that are not the 250cc ninja, and that the big four can't serve because of how they have structured (ruined) the industry. In other words I am fully prepared to be a hater of this, but if it turns out that these actually are a decent value for new riders, then I'll get on board - and that happens by owners talking about their experiences on the net.

Is it the same kind of cool as an A7R? not in a million fucking years. Is it even as cool as a RE continental 250GT? not even close, but it is its own things and while I certainly won't lend it the reverence and respect of real racing or performance machines, that doesn't mean a person can't be curious.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 05-01-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    woodsman likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Completely agree with Geeto. I appreciate hearing from people who actually have dared to be different. I was moving benches around and noticed my one vise was made in Japan, back when we use to laugh at the quality of their stuff. The change from being laughed at to being leaders was pretty quick. China is coming.

Tire desire aside. It's a good looking bike, I'm interested in how it treats him.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'm not a new rider either. This is my 20th motorcycle. Well, my 20th street-legal registered and insured motorcycle. Parts bikes and existing projects don't count for me until they're on the road and legal. I've built choppers, I've built scramblers, I've got a cafe in the works... and then I got sick of having only old bikes, which are constantly breaking. My V65 blew the head gasket 6 months after I fixed a busted 2nd gear. Then my CX650 blew a head gasket. I fixed the 650 and then the fan switch died. Pulled off the radiator and found some rotted coolant hoses too. Fixed all of that and now it's got a clank from the driveshaft area that I need to look into. With vintage bikes, there's always something wrong.

So, I got this little bike to just RIDE. My intention is to flog the shit out of it for a year and 10k miles. That's how long the warranty is. If it lasts a year of my fat ass riding it like I stole it, then I'll count it good. I'm actively trying to put as many miles on as possible in a year.

Also, I'd count on the Lifan clone of the XV250 Virago motor long before I'd bet on an older Royal Enfield. The new 650 twins? Yeah, I'll probably buy one of those eventually. Maybe even a Himalayan. But no old RE's. Ever. That's akin to buying an old Ural - you're banking on having lots of problems. Easily fixable problems, but still... lots of them. I've got vintage bikes that need constant care, that's what I'm trying to avoid here. Lifan has been making motors for decades, and they're quite reliable.

I always kinda feel like I have to defend myself on caferacer.net, lots of strong opinions here. Basically, I bought a cheap, small bike, for the fun of it. Nobody is paying me a dime to review it one way or another. I'm having fun and posting my experiences on it, mostly on advrider. But this thread was mentioning the Buck, and I thought I'd share my experience here too.

Charles.
    Geeto67 likes this.

my CX650
    ^^^I think I found the problem. lol

So, I got this little bike to just RIDE. My intention is to flog the shit out of it for a year and 10k miles. That's how long the warranty is. If it lasts a year of my fat ass riding it like I stole it, then I'll count it good. I'm actively trying to put as many miles on as possible in a year.
    Good for you man, keep doing it and keep telling us about it.

Also, I'd count on the Lifan clone of the XV250 Virago motor long before I'd bet on an older Royal Enfield. The new 650 twins? Yeah, I'll probably buy one of those eventually. Maybe even a Himalayan. But no old RE's. Ever. That's akin to buying an old Ural - you're banking on having lots of problems. Easily fixable problems, but still... lots of them. I've got vintage bikes that need constant care, that's what I'm trying to avoid here. Lifan has been making motors for decades, and they're quite reliable.
    The point of this forum is old bikes, which you are into, I'm into, it's kind of our thing. A RE 250 Contintnal GT is a special thing in that it is a factory cafe racer, which is what makes it collectible. It was the first vintage sporting 250cc bike that came to mind. Is it a better motorcycle? no, that's not how progress works, but we don't rate things on reliability alone. that was my point - these are different classes of motorcycle.

Since we are on the subject of Royal Enfield however, I do want to make a point - the 2009 and up 500cc unit single is a pretty great engine. RE takes a lot of guff for being a british brand coming from india (kinda like an italian brand coming from china...ahem....benelli....cough) but those bikes are pretty tough. The things they get subjected to in their home country would make a sadist blush. I used to sell them, rode plenty of them in some pretty unkind ways, and honestly I really believe in the product and hate the moto-racisim (not you, just in general from the public at large) that shows up where people just assume it's a shitty product because it comes from india. Yeah sure it has issues - paint flakes off from the rims, and the batteries are less than stellar but ducati had no problem selling me a high end sport bike with a fuel tank that can't safely hold fuel and then replace it with defective tanks because they couldn't afford to fix it so everything has some kind of issue.

I always kinda feel like I have to defend myself on caferacer.net, lots of strong opinions here. Basically, I bought a cheap, small bike, for the fun of it. Nobody is paying me a dime to review it one way or another. I'm having fun and posting my experiences on it, mostly on advrider. But this thread was mentioning the Buck, and I thought I'd share my experience here too.

Charles.
    that's just the internet, or rather what the internet has become. I don't think anybody means any ill will, everyone here is just a curmudgeon. Keep updating us though. I'm interested to see how this works out.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Well, technically the SSR Buccaneer 250i is an Italjet Buccaneer 250i in International markets. Designed in Italy in cooperation with Italjet, and built in China, just like the Benellis. That seems to be SSR's thing moving forward.

Heh, make fun of the CX650 all you want, but it's a solid motor. I have mine in a heavily modified 1979 CX500 frame. Driveshaft noises are likely due to the fact I have a monoshock, a much steeper driveshaft angle, and a custom driveshaft to boot. I'll put it up on the lift and see if there's something rubbing or worn. Only happens when pushing it around without a rider on board.

Name:  IMG_5267-small.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  1.07 MB

Charles.

Did the 2600 mile service at 2800 miles. Valves were spot on where I left them at 600 miles. With a minor gearing change I’m easily cruising the highway at 74-76 mph, even up mild hills. And I’m a fat ass. Bike feels fully broken in now.

Charles.

Factory luggage rack and a Burly Brand Voyager tail bag.

Charles.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Sponsored Links