Cleveland Cyclewerks.
Close

Cleveland Cyclewerks.

This is a discussion on Cleveland Cyclewerks. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Not sure if these guys have been mentioned on here, but I noticed they have some kinda cool looking motorcycles for stupid cheap prices, considering ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cleveland Cyclewerks.

Cleveland Cyclewerks.

Not sure if these guys have been mentioned on here, but I noticed they have some kinda cool looking motorcycles for stupid cheap prices, considering they are brand new.
    I'd like to hear your opinions about these on whether or not these would be good bikes, or just a pretty turd.
    Of course, they have some little choppers and wannabe café racers, but they have a couple of decent looking standards, including one called the Misfit that has modern looking forks and brakes, and some nice paint schemes.
    From their website, they look good enough that I'd want to test ride them.
    Cleveland CycleWerks - Cleveland CycleWerks Classic Models

Perhaps a direction to send newbies who want a vintage looking bike for not much coin? I'd say it's a good alternative to the barn find cb350 that's missing most of the important parts.... provided that the bikes are somewhat dependable?
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

Those ARE nice looking bikes, and 250's now, not the 125's they sold in the past.

They may be low prices compared to other new bikes, but for that same money or less one could buy a very good used Honda or other bike from the 70's.

There was an interesting article in a recent Motorcyclist issue about motoracism. I think I am probably guilty of that with Chinese and Indian (country not brand) motorcycles. But, look at Hyundai--they and other Korean cars used to be thought of as absolute crap, but now they are very well regarded.

All depends on dealer network and parts and service availability.

I give full disclosure, and I am a Guzzi guy. Heck, it looks like CCW has more dealers in the USA than Guzzi..........

I also am a Guzzi guy, and I LOVE my 2004 breva 750 that I bought with 3k miles for 3 grand last year, and have put another 15k miles on. It's been my favorite motorcycle so far, and one of the most expensive ones I've had.
    But it was 11 years old, and if I want a new v7 (which I do), it's gonna cost me a minimum of $7500 for last year's model still on the showroom floor.
    I know 100% that any Guzzi is better than these cheapo bikes, as I've seen bikes identical to mine with 150k miles on them. But there is room in my stable for a cheap ass Chinese bike that wasn't expensive.
    I really like the street legal dirtbikes they have, the "Hooligun". Since I don't need a 100k mile dirtbike, that would be a great way to get in the woods with a bike for cheap.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hyundai imho is a bit of a unique company compared to most of the Chinese based small motor factories, Hyundai has accumulated a lot of expertise and financial backing from their heavy equipment divisions, they build some serious big stuff!

Some of the factories building motorcycles and motor parts in central China would literally fit inside some of the ships that Hyundai builds. As developing nations go, South Korea has a very different history of foreign investment, war reparations, technical development support, etc. The biggest thing China has going for it in recent years is lax pollution control regulations and a vast controlling interest in very raw materials.

I'm not seeing South Korea goods as implying any credibility or relevance to mainland China products.
    You know, they Are on opposite sides of a a very significant DMZ that has been in place since 1953

I think the misfit uses a rebel 250 engine copy. I don't remember as our last HFL test was in 2012 right before we sold the company.

https://rideapart.com/articles/the-3...ern-motorcycle

moto-racisim is a real thing and it sucks, but that doesn't mean you should close your eyes to what the bike actually is. Royal Enfield has an engine they developed on their own to meet their market expectations and are funded by india's largest transportation manufacturer. bikes like the misfit, the sym wolf, etc...they are bikes built to a price point leveraging china's non-existent intellectual property laws to build something that meets the market place expectations for reliability but may always feel cheap. I'm not saying don't buy one, just have a look and make sure you can live with the quality of the thing for what you pay for it. For what is is worth I had a friend that sold the CCW heist in NY and I always thought they were crap quality and had little regard for those who bought them. But they worked and those guys were happy with their out of the box rigid chopper so who really cares.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I always figured that a honda rebel could have been a pretty good bike with a better suspension and riding position, so I'm thinking a Misfit is probably not so bad as long as you don't expect exceptional quality out of the thing.
    Maybe they could even be upgraded like many people do with modern thruxton and Enfields to get rid of shitty gauges and whatnot.
    In the end, wouldn't expect to replace either of my road going bikes with a ccw bike, but I think they look nice, and the dirtbikes might very well fill the position of an occasional off-road adventure for me, without replacing my Jeep.

A Chinese copy of a reliable engine doesn't automatically make the Chinese engine reliable.

Just sayin'.......

It looks like the Misfit is running some variation of a 250 OHC single. It is hard to tell whether it is a variation of the Honda 125/185/200 single or the Yamaha aircooled single engine. I think the other possibilities use a pushrod single based on the Honda CG125 motor.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Disposable economics

Kawaki lol -> if you are paying 30$ a piece for them when you import by the container load, some would consider reliability and parts replacement to be a non-issue.

myself, I'm a sucker for quality
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 02-08-2016 at 06:41 AM.

sounds so english... like when the english complained about the lack of "quality" on jap bikes, then the "shitty" jap bikes drove them out of business and are still on the road... the way engines are built now has little to do with any old school crafts philosophy, it's all automated and computer inspected and they run the same machines we do, gotta wake up guys, just because we were on top doesn't mean we deserve to be

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links