Turn Signal Question
Close

Turn Signal Question

This is a discussion on Turn Signal Question within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, I have a quick question for you. When i purchased my 1977 KZ750 twin it came with a sweet white fairing on the ...

Turn Signal Question

Hey guys, I have a quick question for you.

When i purchased my 1977 KZ750 twin it came with a sweet white fairing on the front. As cool as it is, its not the look I'm going for. So, upon taking it off I noticed the front turn signals are gone. Since there are no turn signals the rear ones no longer flash, they simply stay lit without blinking (pot smokers, feel free to quote that). I believe this is because the resistance from the front signal lights is not there. So, I checked with the local laws here in Nebraska and you are not required to have turn signals.

Here's my question, is there a way to bypass the front signals and just have the rear ones working? I'm assuming I might be able to get this to work with a resistor on the turn signal wire but wasn't sure if you recommended this. If you think this is not a good idea then is there an aftermarket turn signal setup you might recommend. I found some original front signals on ebay but I'm not sure if there is a better way or not. Thoughts?

Before:
    Name:  2016-03-02_014435838_E40AD_iOS.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.63 MB

After:
    Name:  2016-03-06_221752477_23CF3_iOS.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  2.69 MB

Thanks
    PodDoc

You just need to get a no-load / LED relay unit. You can get them at pretty much any auto store for just a few $$.

You're on the money about not enough load on the blinky box to make it blinky.
    Obey the Hillsy.
    As your DangerOfficer, I strongly recommend keeping front signals.
    Left turn accidents are a very common car/bike accident.
    Blinky front bits give you something of a chance when it comes to dealing with the present state of inattention to driving.
    Perhaps drivers in Nebraska are better at not driving whilst smartphoning. Or, better at multitasking. Doubt it, though.
    NE

p.s. I suppose you could put a resistor in place of each front turn signal and keep the existing blinky box. Dunno what resistance is needed. That'd require math right now.
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

X2 what hillsy said. Easy money

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...502214&alt=web

Your front end looks relieved from that fairing.

Looks nice.

Perfect! I'll pick one up tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

modern LED turn signals are 100 times brighter than the old incandescent stuff used on a lot of this 70's junk. Even the cheap Chinese ones you get off ebay are better than nothing. you will need the LED relay for them though.

something like this is hard to beat:
    http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarke...d-turn-signals
    $28 per pair, LED, and you can fix the shitty fake carbon fiber look with some black rattle can paint.

If you want to keep it "vintage" these were the back in the day 1980's aftermarket signals for non-sportbikes:
    Lockhart Phillips Aluminum Series Turn Signals | MotoSport

alloy housing makes them super durable, and if you want you can just get an LED replacement bulb. I have been seeing the round style on a lot more vintage bikes more recently:
    Lockhart Phillips USA Sport Bike Parts and Accessories

Oh, and just so you know, if you aren't running full signals front and rear you are still expected to use hand signals. Be smart and safe, get some LED bright signals and be seen.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Sponsored Links