DCT motorcycles - Discuss - Page 2
Close

DCT motorcycles - Discuss

This is a discussion on DCT motorcycles - Discuss within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; What does shifting add to a motorcycle experience? modern sport bikes run a light switch clutch and super fast change, not like it takes much ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: DCT motorcycles - Discuss

What does shifting add to a motorcycle experience?
    modern sport bikes run a light switch clutch and super fast change, not like it takes much skill.

for me it is the power ans speed.
    mechanics are secondary
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

"What does shifting add to a motorcycle experience?"

When I go for a drive in a standard car I have more fun and seem more engaged in what I am doing. I think I may drive a little more aggressively as well. That's what shifting does for me, why I have no idea. I would imagine it would do the same with a bike. Can't speak for how it affects other people but it does seem to make a difference.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Fk5
    I generally think like GTO, but I think it is just being from the time I'm from. I am proud to drive my 4 speed and felt like the hydraulic clutches were making everybody too soft. OTOH, I bet there are plenty of guys who look at me and think I don't have any skills because I didn't learn to drive on a non-synchro trans. For me I am sure it is just prejudice and general fear of change.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    What does shifting add to a motorcycle experience?
    modern sport bikes run a light switch clutch and super fast change, not like it takes much skill.

for me it is the power ans speed.
    mechanics are secondary
    Sounds like you haven't ridden an automatic or no clutch electric motorcycle yet.

There can be a skill of learning to drive an older vehicle. But we are talking about modern stuff here.
    I give props to the guys that hand crank their As, but I don't want a new car with a hand crank.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Sounds like you haven't ridden a no clutch electric motorcycle yet.
    I actually have, worked with a company(two actually) to develop electric bikes.

Was not a fan, until I rode one
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

I actually have, worked with a company(two actually) to develop electric bikes.

Was not a fan, until I rode one

You probably represent the majority of modern day drivers, I probably represent the majority of old school riders
    jaguar likes this.

The way I see it, an automatic transmission is perfect for a hearse and a hydrostatic transmission with a shuttle shift is perfect for a front end loader or lawn tractor where you are constantly shifting direction from forward to backward. Any vehicle that benefits from light weight, mechanical simplicity and can be operated more efficiently with a manually operated clutch and multiple gear ranges should remain as a standard transmission format. I know which one I would prefer to service myself. imho If it ain't broke don't try to fix it with mechanical complexity.

What is mechanically simple about a top tier open class performance motorcycle?

I do not want a CB350 with a DSG, but I sure as shit want a CBR1000RR with one.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

What is mechanically simple about a top tier open class performance motorcycle?

I do not want a CB350 with a DSG, but I sure as shit want a CBR1000RR with one.
    You gotta remember I ride Trials bikes that are used strictly in competition and my street bike is an MV Agusta F3 with a 6-speed cassette transmission and quick shift

At the bike show this year they had a honda DCT cutaway engine in a glass case, it didn't look light-weight or simple to work on to me:

In fact it looked like it has more than twice as many parts to wear out compared to a conventional clutch.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links