DCT motorcycles - Discuss - Page 3
Close

DCT motorcycles - Discuss

This is a discussion on DCT motorcycles - Discuss within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I am a huge fan of the DSG Manual transmission, but I don't see the benefit out weighing the additional weight for bikes....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: DCT motorcycles - Discuss

I am a huge fan of the DSG Manual transmission, but I don't see the benefit out weighing the additional weight for bikes.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Hmmm. Obviously many of you have given this far more thought than have I. So, what is the end game? Is it to offer the utmost opportunity for maximum speed, without the previously required skills? Is that where this comes from? Is this the natural progression in a quest for maximum performance? Me thinks not.

Isn't it to appeal to or rather create a market? Honda has done this before. I think using it in the NC700 was to attract scooter riders into the realm of the full-on motorcycle. In the Interceptor, more of a performance luxury for the gentleman's express crowd.

I have know qualms with it. Different strokes. I think shifting will continue to be the larger part of motorcycle transmissions, but the DCT is here to stay.

Honda, the people who brought you 4 wheel steering.
    lol we really needed that

Perfect for getting you out of trouble just as fast as you got into it
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
    Hmmm. Obviously many of you have given this far more thought than have I. So, what is the end game? Is it to offer the utmost opportunity for maximum speed, without the previously required skills? Is that where this comes from? Is this the natural progression in a quest for maximum performance? Me thinks not.
    How does it have any other use then to extract the utmost of performance?
    I still fail to see how a DSG allows anyone to go faster then their normal skills would allow.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Isn't it to appeal to or rather create a market? Honda has done this before. I think using it in the NC700 was to attract scooter riders into the realm of the full-on motorcycle. In the Interceptor, more of a performance luxury for the gentleman's express crowd.

I have know qualms with it. Different strokes. I think shifting will continue to be the larger part of motorcycle transmissions, but the DCT is here to stay.
    Pretty sure that things like the popularity of automatic transmissions stem from the fact that average people are inherently lazy and don't have a clue about mechanical things.
    drgonzo likes this.

The first car I learned to drive had a manual transmission. The reason? Because my dad, a car racing nut and aircraft mechanic believed that that was the best
    way to learn to drive. According to him if your car has and automatic you're just stopping, going & steering and that's not driving. Without going into a long
    dissertation I applied the same logic when I taught all three of my kids to drive. Part of my logic was that if you're having to use both hands and feet to operate
    the vehicle then there is less chance that you are doing something other than focusing on the driving.

For me the same applies with motorcycles. Having to use both hands and feet requires more focus on operating the bike. It's not foolproof though, nothing is.

DCT is here to stay, like it or not. I prefer the feel of the clutch lever, it seems natural I guess because we oldtimers never had any other options save the few
    sorry attempts of a few models in the seventies with automatics.

I don't have any plans to purchase a motorcycle with DCT. But...if the arthritis in my hands continues to progress I'll ride the DCT before I quit riding.
    drgonzo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    How does it have any other use then to extract the utmost of performance?
    I still fail to see how a DSG allows anyone to go faster then their normal skills would allow.
    It is easier to ride if there is no clutch lever or shifter. There is just less to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Pretty sure that things like the popularity of automatic transmissions stem from the fact that average people are inherently lazy and don't have a clue about mechanical things.
    YES! There ya go. That's another market. The idea is always to put more asses in the seats. Follow the money.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    But a DSG is not an automatic.......
    Even if it was, are all the Drag Week Racers lazy in their 6 second autos?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

It is easier to ride if there is no clutch lever or shifter. There is just less to do.
    But how does that translate to the rider going faster?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links