DCT motorcycles - Discuss
Close

This is a discussion on DCT motorcycles - Discuss within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Would You Want To See A Dual Clutch Transmission In A Sportbike? Rumors are starting to bubble up that Honda is looking to put their ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: DCT motorcycles - Discuss

Would You Want To See A Dual Clutch Transmission In A Sportbike?

Rumors are starting to bubble up that Honda is looking to put their dual clutch transmission in an upcoming refresh to their CBR sportbike range.
    Personally, while I understand that this is a smart move from a marketing and customer base perspective...I hate the idea. But then again I hate the idea that manual trans cars are becoming a rarity. I feel like some things require an inherent skill, and shifting is just one of those things. I also believe personally the world doesn't need more motorcyclists, just more motorcycle aware car drivers, because let's face it riding in a pack of idiot strangers on bikes is way scarier than being in normal traffic on the freeway.

Call me an elitist fuck if you will but when you take away the skill building to make someone good at something with little effort - where is the fun of that activity? I don't think every tom dick an harry should be able to buy bike gear control skills like rossi.

anyway, talk amongst yourselves.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I see your point and I tend to agree. I do see a benefit for the novice rider. One less thing to concentrate on while learning to operate a motorcycle. I have yet to ride a DCT bike but I spent a day riding with a small group and one of them was on a Honda NC700X and he was quick on it (and an experienced rider). I'm just spit-balling as I haven't really paid much attention to that technology.

P.S.You are an elitist fuck.
    kerosene likes this.

ARE all the NC700x's DCT's? I suspect not and I don't recall if the one I saw had a clutch lever or shifter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

What about electric bikes. They only have one gear correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
    ARE all the NC700x's DCT's? I suspect not and I don't recall if the one I saw had a clutch lever or shifter.
    The NC700X, NC700S and NC700SA come with a six-speed manual gearbox while the Integra and the NC700SD come standard with a second generation of the six-speed dual-clutch transmission first used on the Honda VFR1200F. The version used on the Integra and NC700SD is lighter and more compact due to a simplified hydraulic circuit; a learning function has also been added to each of the drive modes to detect a variety of riding environments.[16] The system uses heavy duty large-diameter clutches to deal with the rigours of use in stop/start city traffic.[17]
    "Drive" mode on the transmission generally selects a high gear ratio, keeping engine speeds between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm, while selecting "Sport" keeps the engine running at a higher speed for more power on the open road.[19]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NC700_series
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by CaTacL1sm View Post
    What about electric bikes. They only have one gear correct?
    I believe the Victory has a 5 speed gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post

Call me an elitist fuck if you will but when you take away the skill building to make someone good at something with little effort - where is the fun of that activity? s.
    Even if you made a full size motorcycle (not scooter) fully automatic there still is riding skill set that must exist. If most of use would ride an auto machine we still would come back to the manual as that control goes hand in hand with our riding skills.

If anyone has any saddle time on an old hondamatic they know the skills required to ride a bike. A CVT scoot....I don't know.

Off road as well. An auto Sportsman or Honda quad or whatever in my opinion almost requires more skill than the traditional manual setup.

I am a full on DSG fan boy.
    Been daily driving a VW R32 since 08 and have 125k miles on it. The GF has a DSG CC and loves it.

I dont get the hate the trans gets in the car world.

Do miata owners pine for the days of MGBs and leaking oil?
    Do 458 owners wish their cars were just a little slower?
    These must be the people that feel the Web is bad and jerk off to people that can dowie decimal the shit out of a search.

Tech moves on.
    Things get better.

This whole "driver involvement" kick is pure bullshit.
    Almost as much so as the "skill" people wax poetic about.

Want to know what takes skill?
    Going fast.
    Period and end of discussion.

Not that long ago 3.2 seconds 0-60 was silly.
    Now flash a new VW Golf and you can do it.

Thing is that the driving force for dual clutch (they are NOT automatics in any way) is not the middle of the road sedans. It is the top of the line extreme performance cars.
    They now demand the performance that a DSG gives, and over time the tech trickles down.
    Fact is modern supercars are faster without a clutch pedal.
    These cars still make you feel alive and take skill to push the limit.

Do F1 drivers look bored? Are their hands just flopping around with nothing to do?

End rant with cars.

With bikes I dont know if there really is a need.
    Would a new GSXR1000 be faster with a dual clutch? Personally I don't think so.

A DSG would not make some new rider rossi, that is ignorant. There is SO much more that goes into riding a bike fast then shifting.
    I dont see the tech being helpful at all with new riders. Since it is a performance enhancing item it would be wasted.

If the motorcycle industry is going to market this as a crutch then fuck them.
    It is a performance system.

I want my top tier bike to have top tier tech.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

jcw
    Last year, I "snuck" into a semi invitation only test drive of the Ferrari California T. The trans was a paddle shift dual clutch tech and to be honest, it was pretty slick.

Yeah, active suspension is here for the super bikes. It's not long before DCT. If it can be brought in as light as possible and "improve" track performance, people will think they want/need it.

Seamless transmission is the big thing now...

My current tractor uses an auto shifting (DCT) transmission.

It gives me further control of the truck and am more aware of my surroundings (though my left leg is withering away...) as a result.

Do I want that on my bike? Not a snowballs chance in a warmer climate. It's part of the overall experience.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links