Zen and the art of talking waxing poetic about motorcycles on the internet
Close

This is a discussion on Zen and the art of talking waxing poetic about motorcycles on the internet within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; ok, here is the new zen thread since everyone was hot to talk about it and we have already driven that kid from boston's thread ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Zen and the art of talking waxing poetic about motorcycles on the internet

ok, here is the new zen thread since everyone was hot to talk about it and we have already driven that kid from boston's thread into the ground like a railroad spike.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Ews
    I think Zen is a word people throw around all the time, without really knowing what it really means. Hell I am not sure if I even know exactly what it is. I mean I aint no monk who spent their entire life trying to achieve Zen or anything.

But I watched the Tao of Steve, does that count as background to base an educated argument? lol
    pwalo likes this.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

ok, I'll start. So there is this book by Robert Pirsig called "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". If you were in your 20's before the internet was really a thing it was the book poeple would tell you to read when you told them you had a passing interest in motorcycles. But it isn't really about motorcycles, depending on how buddhist you actually are. What it really is is one person's mediation on motorcycle repair, surviving post electroshock therapy in the 1950's and how your outlook on life colors your outlook on everything else. Or in other words the kinds of things your hippy friends used to yammer on about when they were in their 20's and looking for the meaning to the universe. It is also a minor travel log of a guy taking a motorcycle camping trip with his young son on a 1960's 305 honda superhawk, which is probably the most appealing thing about it.

i find people fit into mostly 4 categories:
    - People who read the book all the way through at a time when they didn't have any experience with motorcycles and didn't get it or how it relates
    - People who read it all the way through when they did have experience with motorcycles and it seemed boring because they had already had the same thoughts and it was as interesting as a grocery list.
    - People who didn't read it all the way through because they didn't understand how it realted to motorcycles or what the fuck this guy was yammering about
    - People who didn't read it all the way through but pretend to have or pretend to have understand it and then talk endlessly about how motorcycling is some form of meditation and oneness of the universe through riding other general buddhist themes in the context of the bike which are not at all discussed in the book.
    kerosene likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    But I watched the Tao of Steve, does that count as background to base an educated argument? lol
    That movie doesn't get the credit it is due.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Wax on motorcycles tends to leave an unsightly white residue. I usually just use a quality motorcycle wash rinse and towel dry. My VFR1200 needed and still could use some clean up work to remove the remaining wax from the previous owner.
    drgonzo likes this.

Fk5
    I am pretty sure that at some point in my life I have fit into three of the four categories.

BTW, I think every motorcyclist should read it, for one of 2 reasons:

1) because it is nice to read about things other than motorcycling that reference motorcycling, and the book itself is almost a rite of passage.
    2) so when someone tries to wax poetic about riding with you and they bring up the book you know exactly how full of shit they are.
    Fk5, drgonzo, thechief86 and 2 others like this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I read the book years ago and tried to read it again recently. The motorcycle parts were interesting to me, and I learned why my super hawk seized up in 1971. The rest of the book is babble as far as I am concerned, but I am a simple man, not a deep thinker.

another book that has great and not so great parts is Shop Class as Soul Craft, again I enjoyed the motorcycle parts and ignored the philosophical ones.

jack
    pwalo likes this.

Ews
    I would add a 5th category to that list Geeto: People who didnt read the book, knew it existed and what its basic concept was and thought it sounded like a load of shit.

I get the whole feeling of "Zen" when riding. Because you are not surrounded by a metal cage and glass, you are connected to the world in the same way that you are connected to it when taking a casual stroll down the street. I personally do feel a sense of freedom when riding, I am free from my phone since you cant really be on it while riding. I am free from safety restraints and the mediocrity of the daily drive to and from work. I like to feel the vibration of the engine and the road, hear the sound of the exhaust and feel the wind buffeting me as I ride. All things you do not generally feel in a car.

Is that zen? Fucked if I know. Do I care? No not really. I think "Zen" might be different to each person. But then I am just some gear head from Idaho that is pleased by simple things
    Last edited by Ews; 07-18-2016 at 12:24 PM.
    Rich3010 and pwalo like this.

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    That movie doesn't get the credit it is due.
    It really was a pretty good movie, I watched it a few times

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links