title question for a title that uses engine vin
Close

This is a discussion on title question for a title that uses engine vin within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; so i picked up a kawasaki s3 lastyr ea for pretty cheap. i knew it was a bad engine when i picked it up, and ...

so i picked up a kawasaki s3 lastyr ea for pretty cheap. i knew it was a bad engine when i picked it up, and was going to replace it. the title on the bike uses the engine vin, and not the frame. i picked up a good engine as the other one was so far gone it would be nearly impossible to save. is there a way to have the title amended to show the swapped in engine after i do it? i have pictures of frame and engine vin along with new engine vin. just curious if anyone would know if this can be done.

the simple answer is probably Nope. A new vin would require a new title.

It is possible you could vermont title the frame and use that instead. Keep the title with the engine cases for a custom framed special.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

how hard is it to vermont title a bike. i have heard of this, but dont know how fast nor easy it is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by photoputz83 View Post
    … the title on the bike uses the engine vin, and not the frame…..
    Maybe where you live but that certainly is not the case here. VIN tag is always on the frame up here, even if DOT assigns you an RB (rebuilt) VIN you will still need to stamp it on the frame.

"how hard is it to vermont title a bike." probably a lot easier if you lived in Vermont

you can get a vermont title in any state and transfer it over to the state at which you live. its a viable loophole, but i have never done that as i have never run into this issue before. both the frame and engine are stamped different vins which was quite common with kawasakis. even if the vin numbers matched there would be a discrepancy due to the "f" and "e" stamp Frame or engine. i guess this makes this a first for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Maybe where you live but that certainly is not the case here. VIN tag is always on the frame up here, even if DOT assigns you an RB (rebuilt) VIN you will still need to stamp it on the frame.

"how hard is it to vermont title a bike." probably a lot easier if you lived in Vermont

Not sure if or how this relates to what you are faced with, but it might make for interesting reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...nts_of_the_VIN

Sponsored Links