traded my MG Midget - Page 3
Close

traded my MG Midget

This is a discussion on traded my MG Midget within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Put the Lepera or Drag Specialties seat back on it. What's on there now enjoys holding one in its throat. Yuk. It does appear the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: traded my MG Midget

Put the Lepera or Drag Specialties seat back on it. What's on there now enjoys holding one in its throat. Yuk.

It does appear the rear is dropped excessively having the steering head angle equating to a free rake job. That engine's cg is rather high and getting more of the lower end of the lump below the axle centerlines appears called for so you may need to put some travel limiting bushings inside the fork assemblies.
    Last edited by YallCrazy; 08-16-2018 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenessex View Post

Here is my question;
    Why do so many HDs, even stock big twins, have a negative swingarm angle. Why would HD do that? I always try to set my bikes up with about a 10 degree swingarm angle. As it is now, the swingarm is pretty flat right now, even with shocks as long as feel comfortable with.
    because people lower them.

Joking aside, the belt drive models I believe they do that to minimize belt stretch through the travel range. most of the stock big twins and sportsters don't have a lot of travel.

In the case of the sportster, I don't know why, but it has been that way since 1957. I think the XLCH, the XLR, and the Iron XR all have a swingarm roughly level with the ground due to the taller shocks (14.5").
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

jcw
    I've had to play with my swingarm angle on my trackbike, a squidly gsxr. But the idea is on corner exit to provide a little antisquat to balance the weight transfer on acceleration and prevent excessive geometry changes that make the bike run wide.
    My guess is HD doesn't care much about that and may even enjoy a little squatting to make their riders feel like they are accelerating harder than they really are. LOL.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    because people lower them.

Joking aside, the belt drive models I believe they do that to minimize belt stretch through the travel range. most of the stock big twins and sportsters don't have a lot of travel.

In the case of the sportster, I don't know why, but it has been that way since 1957. I think the XLCH, the XLR, and the Iron XR all have a swingarm roughly level with the ground due to the taller shocks (14.5").
    Have you ever ridden a bone stock xr1000? They're pretty miserable in the handling department and the front wheel is hard to keep planted.

I'd have to say the best handling factory IH would be a late 84 or 85 IH (evo clutch alternator, no genny) and although the front forks were a bit long, the frames, however, weren't the flexi-flyer tomahawk pieces of shit like they used for years and years.
    Last edited by YallCrazy; 08-16-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YallCrazy View Post
    Have you ever ridden a bone stock xr1000? They're pretty miserable in the handling department and the front wheel is hard to keep planted.
    you are joking, right? yeah, I may have sat on one or two.....lol Still the XR1000 isn't the bike I was talking about before, that's it's own creature that used a modified 1982 XL chassis. I was referring to the first iron XR750 race bikes from 1969-1971.

I'd have to say the best handling factory IH would be a late 84 or 85 IH (evo clutch alternator, no genny) and although the front forks were a bit long, the frames, however, weren't the flexi-flyer tomahawk pieces of shit like they used for years and years.
    Can't argue with that, while the 1957-1978 street frame was a pretty good flat track frame, as a road race frame it had many flaws. As a street frame it was mediocre 1950's tech that lasted way too long without any improvement. I think they used that later frame from 1982 through to 2003 with only minor updates. Still, that doesn't mean people shouldn't play with the old ironheads - it's nice to have a bike that's stupid simple and kinda fun.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

the tomahawk frames might have been good for boat anchors, not much more

the tomahawk frames might have been good for boat anchors, not much more
    I'll let Bart Markel's heirs know to return his 28 AMA flat track victory trophies that he had aboard bikes using some variation of the tomahawk frame, since there is no possible way for them to have been good at anything beyond being boat anchors.
    Norton 357 likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

hurry up and do that. tell them I also said those frames weren't much count as boat anchors either unless compared to the bottom shelf units from Walmart.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links