Helmet advice
Close

Helmet advice

This is a discussion on Helmet advice within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I need guidance on a helmet. Not going cheap on the thing that protects my head, i just don't know who gives the bang for ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Helmet advice

Helmet advice

I need guidance on a helmet. Not going cheap on the thing that protects my head, i just don't know who gives the bang for the buck

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I you have EVER been concussed before I would strongly suggest you look in to D6 Helmets and there 6D’s revolutionary patented Omni-Directional Suspension (ODS).

HELMETS | Product Categories |
    \"Smok\'in the competition NOT Tobacco\"
    \"Transplant organs, Don\'t bury them!\"

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

I like to peruse the closeout section of Revzilla and Motorcycle Superstore. Got a killer deal on my Shoei RF1100.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Bell 500.
    drgonzo and conghos like this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Shoei for me. Most have slightly different she'll and lining shapes so you're better off trying on a few different makes. Arai, as good as they are never really fir me right.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Bell 500.
    you're being an ass again.
    jaguar, drgonzo and conghos like this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I wish you could test ride with helmets before you bought them. I have trouble with buying them because i focus on one aspect more than the others that I need to consider everytime. Next helmet is going to be quiet. Or at least quieter.
    A helmet should be:
    Safe
    Comfortable/fit well
    light weight
    quiet
    attractive

I've never had one where the vents did a whole hell of a lot but if that actually exists I guess it could be added to the list above. Its also hard to spend $700 or more on a helmet but I think you get what you pay for with helmets usually.
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

Best place to helmet shop is at the off-season motorcycle shows, you get to try on dozens of different helmet models from dozens of manufacturers and the previous year models are often deeply discounted. You really need to try lots of different ones to find the one that fits your particular noggin. The lighter the helmet the more expensive they are, I really like a light weight helmet, my street helmet is a Nexx XR2 carbon fibre (big bucks) Nexx is made in Portugal, they make good products, stand behind them if something breaks and offer good value for the money because the country is economically depressed.
    Stay away from the helmets that open up at the front, that is a nice feature if you like to talk a lot, but it makes the helmet way too heavy on your neck when you are riding. Same with radio accessories and the such, makes the helmet heavier and heavy sucks when you have to carry it on your neck. Really good helmets seal really well around the face shield, they are very quiet inside and have superior aerodynamics. Buy an extra face shield, best to stay with clear visors they are more functional, visors can become hard to source for obsolete helmet models. Stick with light colour helmets where possible, they are much cooler in the sun and provide better visibility particularly at night, black is terrible. Spend your money on a better quality helmet rather than fancy graphics. Fancy graphics can as much as double a helmet cost and make it far more likely to be stolen so don't leave those unattended, people will cut the chin strap rings off and steal it, they will pass on stealing the plain white helmet. Store it in a cool dry place out of the sun, hot sunshine destroys the shell, visor and rubber bits. Do Not drop it or stick it on a little kids head, clean the visor as infrequently as possible and don't get it all finger printed up. Wear a thin scarf around your neck in cold weather, it helps a lot with the cold, stops you from taking stones to the throat, makes it quieter and makes the chin strap more comfortable. Open the face shield using the ratchet opener adjustment as soon as you stop, it will prevent the visor from fogging up in cool weather. Get one that has air vents at the top instead of your forehead, in cold weather the temple vents feel like somebody is drilling holes into your head.

… I think thats about it :|

Oh ya, how much should it cost? How much is your head worth
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 07-26-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    ironbeard and DohcBikes like this.

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Hey man, the Bell 500 ups your hipster street cred while only protecting 3/4 of your head.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Nope, I love mine.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links