Hi all - CB450 project bike inside
Close

This is a discussion on Hi all - CB450 project bike inside within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey all, just checking in. Today is my birthday, so I conned the wife into spending some cash: Only $50 bucks! Got a title and ...

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Hey all, just checking in. Today is my birthday, so I conned the wife into spending some cash:

Only $50 bucks! Got a title and everything.

As you can see, the fork seals don't exist anymore, and the bike is very grimy with green and rusty corrosion in lots of places. The motor does turn over though. It's got a CB500 motor in it, apparently the guy that owned it before wedged it in.

That's the original tank sitting there on the floor, but I'm told it leaks, and it's crusty inside, so it may not be worth saving.

The mufflers you see on the floor are off some Harleys and the guy had his own CB with these on it, I've got em so I can pass inspection after I get it running, as the originals are cracked in a bunch of places and kind of rusty.

Heck, I even got the key, bonus!

If you follow this ( http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2005%5C1...72165-full.jpg ) you'll see pretty much what I'd like to do to it.

Happy birthday to me!

"This site is bullshit."

Happy day dude.

Nice bike, I can imagine it all cafeed with clip ons and running. Congratulations. Make it happen

Cafe racer DOHC CB750F

http://cardomain.com/id/jaimesix

Happy Birthday! Looks like $50 was a STEAL. Some guys have to pay nearly that for the KEY.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Nice score those twin Hondas are sweet and have great cafe bike potential.

84 FJ110
    77 CB50 Cafe bike now
    76 parts bike
    74 Suzuki t500 soon to be on the road

Oh hell yeah! $50 for a titled bike that'll turn over is great! Send the seat of to Sargent in FL or get that tail section at Glass from the Past, new fork seals, some clubman's or clip-ons, a new tank, perhaps some rearsets and new shocks....whatever else you deem appropriate...you should have a solid machine for well under 4 figures.
    I love the pic you posted of how you'd like it to look that's a sweet looking bike! I'm not into 4-stroke vintage bikes but I'd love to find a deal like that...way to go!

Edited by - Quicklimegirl on Dec 17 2006 12:00:40 PM

Thanks for the replies - and thanks for the link to Glass from the Past, that's a good site.

As long as it isn't seized up, should be relatively easy to get running. Looks like those carbs been puking for a long time. Might be a good place to start. Electrics may be an issue considering its an engine swap (who knows what kind of "quality" wiring the previous owner(s) subjected the poor girl to? Don't be too dismayed if you find some lamp cords duct taped in there.)

Give it a good brillo-job and a fresh battery (you can jump start bikes from a car battery - just don't do it with the car running). Buy some new plugs, pull the carbs, remove the float bowls and spray the shit outta them with carb cleaner (get in the jets and metering passages real good). GET A MANUAL and check the points/timing and kick her over. Good Luck!

Honda go sideways!

Edited by - krapfever on Dec 17 2006 8:36:50 PM

I think I have a spare 450 tank in that color if you need it....

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
    www.NYCvinMoto.com
    www.VinMoto.org

Before you try to start it , I suggest taking the spark plugs off and squirting some "Mistery Oil" into the cylinders. Mystery Oil, if not familiar , is sold everywhere ( auto parts places ) , it is a red bottle , comes in quart bottles. it is great for loosening and lubricating metal, and ideal for cylinders that have been dormant for a while.
    Change the cranckcase oil, filter, and check the points/ ignition . I would install new points, and if posible disassemble the carbs and clean them.

By doing this, you will asure a trouble free bike. The rest is cosmetic, basics first.

You are going to have fun and good times with that bike.

Cafe racer DOHC CB750F

http://cardomain.com/id/jaimesix

Thanks for the suggestions! You guys obviously knew what questions were coming, didn't you?

I didn't much chance to look it over this weekend, but I did pull off some of the completely dry-rotted fork covers, and found no pitting underneath. There may be pitting up higher, but not where it really counts, so got lucky there.

The spokes are a write-off, and I'll have to lace new ones on. They're pretty pitted. The rims are a little crusty, but I bet I can buff them out, no problem.

I took a look under the seat, the wiring didn't look too bad, and I didn't find any mice nests.

I also hosed down a lot of the bolts with Liquid Wrench to let them soak for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions about the oil in the cylinders. Marvel Mystery Oil is pretty easy to find here, so I'll get some of that tonight.

Rosko, I'd be interested in the tank, you can email me at yahoo, same user name.

Were there a lot of differences between the CB450 and CB500/550 regarding engine internals? They're both DOHC and they look exactly the same from the outside. I better get a manual for both, I guess.

Do you guys recommend that I tear the motor down completely? How hard is this motor to disassemble? Am I gonna need a press to split the case?

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links