>Warning< Scam artists abound! - Page 4
Close

>Warning< Scam artists abound!

This is a discussion on >Warning< Scam artists abound! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by CUnILiNgUaL I've known Rob, the owner of Dinosaur Four for probably 25 years, and for the last 20 of them, he has ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: >Warning< Scam artists abound!

Quote Originally Posted by CUnILiNgUaL View Post
    I've known Rob, the owner of Dinosaur Four for probably 25 years, and for the last 20 of them, he has built or modified many choppers, cafe racers, race bikes and everything else with two wheels. He is known to his customers and the friends they constantly refer to him for work as a master of anything motorcycle related and keeps seriously busy trying to satisfy everyone coming through his shop without turning away too much business. This is a guy that can do ANY job and has very reasonable rates for his skills at $60/hr. And he stays busy 365 days a year in Chicago when most shops switch to storage mode. Most shops are $100/hr or more these days and won't do half of the work brought to them. I've never personally met another shop owner as accommodating to motorcycle enthusiasts and forthcoming with his knowledge as Rob and have never seen him deliberately try to rip off a customer or take advantage of their naivety. If Rob didn't have health issues with chronic gout and arthritis, I'm sure he would have had a much larger operation with more mainstream prices years ago.
    Sounds like a good guy. And because of it he probably has a good local reputation. Way more valuable than anything posted on the internet for a local service business.

On the other hand, Federal Moto, who were known as Powder Monkees before this year, had been coming around Rob's shop for some time before the big project to have him essentially finish bikes they were not skilled enough to build and too cheap to pay a professional to work on. Many of these smaller jobs were to directly repair mistakes made by the Powder Monkees, some of them novice mistakes.
    Sounds par for the course with these kids who think they are mechanics but are really not. Every major city has at least 2 or 3 of these people.

I thought the arrangement and pooling of resources and work was going fairly well between these two shops until the Mullers gained more notoriety and money with Federal Moto. I saw promises being broken to Rob about money getting paid for months while the Mullers are throwing around tons of money traveling, partying and gloating to the point it is tiring to watch. Rob is a true professional that these guys got a free coat tail ride on and they would still be risking burning down their mom's garage with their shoddy powder coating operation if it wasn't for him.
    I would hold on before calling anybody a "true professional". It sounds like he is a good guy no doubt, but a true professional would have known his business, known how to set up a proper financial arrangement, know how to mitigate his risks, do proper invoicing, and...stay with me here....NOT RELEASED HIS COLLATERAL TO SOMEONE WHO OWED HIM A LOT OF MONEY. I agree that it sounds like he got taken advantage of in a big bad way, but bitching about it on forums does very little. Taking action to recover the money owed is what every one is telling him and what needs to really happen. and he probably needs to get better about business arrangements. I love the old way of doing things, and the old shops that still do it, but I can tell you none of them would have ever released their collateral and expected to ever get paid again. There are always people looking to take advantage so you have to be guarded. Part of knowing your business is to know when to draw the line. I am not trying to blame the victim here, I agree he is a victim and in a just world he would get paid, but this isn't a just world and he didn't protect himself. If there is any lesson that comes out of this, it's that he has to be more careful about situations like this in the future.

I hope his gout and arthritis gets better.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 09-01-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

No question a "true professional" MECHANIC can still be a bad BUSINESSMAN. I've seen that plenty of times.

In THIS case, I don't think he's necessarily a bad businessman, just let his guard down and didn't have proper partial payment AT LEAST.

Not to cast doubt or aspersions, the 1-post new person mentioned:

"I saw promises being broken to Rob about money getting paid for months while the Mullers are throwing around tons of money traveling, partying and gloating to the point it is tiring to watch"

THAT indicates bad business somewhat as a regular practice. "Fooled him" more than a few times, apparently.

Sad. Very sad.

Geeto67 likes this.
    GrandPaul
    Author, \"Old Bikes\"

This situation happens over and over at small shops and nobody ever learns.

Don't do work for friends.

Get money up front.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Go round his house and bum him.
    cyclocrossfool likes this.

Some guy we don't know from shit chiming in to back up the first guy we don't know from shit doesn't automatically validate the story in my opinion.

Back when I worked in the shop everyone had a horror story about everyone else depending on what day it was.....

Still waiting for the other side of the story and whether the truth lays with either side, somewhere in the middle or out in space.

I saw $11,650 CB, and I thought it was the buyer complaining about being ripped off. Then I read the first post. That sucks.
    www.slipstreamcycle.com

and.... they are gone!!
    latered

Fk5
    Is he a witch?

Why is this shit here?
    Who cares?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Fk5
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    Why is this shit here?
    Who cares?
    My understanding of this board is that it is designed to draw hipsters in and berate them. I thought the OP came here so we would berate his hipster.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links