Norvin
Close

Norvin

This is a discussion on Norvin within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Twin with down tubes removed. Like this Comet based one although I would change a few things including exhaust, brakes and frame color....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cyorg

Thread: Norvin

Norvin

Twin with down tubes removed.

Name:  Norvin.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  189.1 KB

Like this Comet based one although I would change a few things including exhaust, brakes and frame color.

Name:  Norvin 500 Cafè Racer 01.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  362.1 KB
    "Non urinat in ventum"

the thing I struggle with on the norvin with the missing down tubes.....how is it better than a stock vincent? So the engine in a Vincent is a stressed member where the frame sections bolt to right? And the value of a F-bed is in having the engine (and thus the crank) sit in line with the axles therefore minimizing the effect the weight of the engine has on handling, right? So they lowered the engine in the frame of this one so it's close to the axle centerline, but really you could have done that with custom vincent frame sections. At this level it feels like it was just done to use norton forks and bodywork. Or am I missing something?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

If you've a few quid spare you could always buy one of these. I'm sure you could get it in yellow
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    the thing I struggle with on the norvin with the missing down tubes.....how is it better than a stock vincent? So the engine in a Vincent is a stressed member where the frame sections bolt to right? And the value of a F-bed is in having the engine (and thus the crank) sit in line with the axles therefore minimizing the effect the weight of the engine has on handling, right? So they lowered the engine in the frame of this one so it's close to the axle centerline, but really you could have done that with custom vincent frame sections. At this level it feels like it was just done to use norton forks and bodywork. Or am I missing something?
    You aren't missing anything. I don't think there is anything better than a stock Vincent on this one other than perhaps the front brake. I never really understood the twin going into the FB, not that I wouldn't like to have one if that makes sense. I suppose if you have a twin with an exploded box and a naked frame, why not. It would be so easy to just put more modern forks on the original Vincent upper frame member. The steering head is bolted to the oil tank which makes up the upper frame member. That way too don't have to dick around with a new rear head mount. The front mount is fixed and the rear is set up to accommodate for expansion and contraction of the V twin cylinders. The original rear frame member could be retained with some improved dampening or it could be replaced with something more modern. I actually like the Comet based one a lot better, although I would toss the Burman box and replace it with a Norton one.

Edit.. some folks might argue successfully that the Road Holder forks are better than Girdraulics unless you are bolting a hack onto it.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 10-27-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    If you've a few quid spare you could always buy one of these. I'm sure you could get it in yellow
    I'd like one, but you can keep the exhaust system, fairing and the yellow paint. Black, Red, Blue, or Grey please
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I really like the exhaust.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    I really like the exhaust.
    How close do you live to the Bradwell power station?
    pwalo likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    How close do you live to the Bradwell power station?
    As the crow flies about 10 miles.

10 miles down wind? (insert smiley face)
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Depends.

Sponsored Links