Build project or sell for parts?
Close

This is a discussion on Build project or sell for parts? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello guys and gals, Just picked up a 74 CL72 off of craigslist. The bike is pretty complete but missing some key parts. Front fender, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello guys and gals,

Just picked up a 74 CL72 off of craigslist. The bike is pretty complete but missing some key parts. Front fender, left side color, and misc items like speedo and some pegs. My question is, would it be better to sell this bike for parts and get capital to start a different project? I opened up the motor, the rocker arms are rusted...which makes me hesitate a lot. Has the seat, right side cove,r rear fender, exhaust, bars forks etc...I just know it's a hassle to try and sell parts. I'm very comfortable completing the build, just unfamiliar with parts availability and costs and any specialized tools required to complete...i.e. clutch pack gear tool etc. From what I know of the history, hasn't been registered since the 70's, barn yard find. Unknown last run date.

P.S. if anyone is interested I'm in the San Diego area. Or if you have any of the above parts above at a cheap price that may inspire a build....thanks all and keep the rubber side down!

Pics pics pics pics

Our rubber sides are in the garage for the winter. Damn San Diegans.
    Internet arguments are like the special olympics. If you win you're still retarded

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

can't you just give it back to where ever it came from?

Let's look at the downsides shall we?
    Project: assuming the motor isn't fucked sideways you'll spend about $1000-$1500 getting the bike into running shape only to have what is essentially a $1000 250cc motorcycle (assuming you really make it nice) that you can't really ride anywhere but around your town and into the desert a little. This is assuming you have a title and own tools and know something about working on bikes (which I am guessing you don't).

Parts: It isn't a particularly rare bike so parts are cheap and plentiful which means you'll get stuck with stuff for a while and not really get all that much more for the bike. And it will take a long time.

The upsides?

Project: well if you focus on just learning how to work on a motorcycle and don't get ahead of yourself by trying to make a "super bae fleak racer" out of it then you'll learn plenty and get a nice little putt around beer fetching beach bike.

Parts: maybe you'll recoup what you paid. maybe.

Let's take stock of the project:

- Do you have a title?
    - Do you have an indoor place to work on it?
    - Do you own tools?
    - do you know how to use tools?
    - are you adverse to buying tools?

answer these questions and then post some pics of the bike and we can help you. maybe.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

MOTOR SWAPS happen. they are easier than rebuilds. I would put a chinese 4 valve water cooled engine in it. Save time and money and end up with a legit fast bike with modern ignition and electrics. Easy as pie on a honda.

suggestion to follow

Ill take some tonight when I get home in between all my other projects. Cheers!

- Do you have a title? No title
    - Do you have an indoor place to work on it? I have a 2 car garage that has 2 other bikes inside it
    - Do you own tools? Yes, I used to restore cars professionally. I have all the materials and tools standard for non custom or make specific situations. I have other bikes I have worked on and am very comfortable and confident in my abilities. The inquisition was more directed to the cost of parts and availability.
    - do you know how to use tools? Righty tighty lefty loosy...amiright?
    - are you adverse to buying tools? No, the girlfriend is, but I myself have no inhibitions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NOSonboard View Post
    - Do you have a title? No title
    Do you know what it takes to get a title in your state? It's California so it could very well owe a ton of back taxes or none at all. Before you drop dime 1 into this shitpile you need to find out the cost of getting it in your name. If parting out, a titled frame is sometimes worth the hassle, sometimes not. If making it a bike - you want this regardless. Any cent you spend without the bike being in your name is wasted and you run the risk of the bike having been stolen years and years ago and then taken away from you when you try to register/insure it. so....

- Do you own tools? Yes, I used to restore cars professionally. I have all the materials and tools standard for non custom or make specific situations. I have other bikes I have worked on and am very comfortable and confident in my abilities. The inquisition was more directed to the cost of parts and availability.
    - do you know how to use tools? Righty tighty lefty loosy...amiright?
    - are you adverse to buying tools? No, the girlfriend is, but I myself have no inhibitions about it.
    Define "Restore cars professionally". I used to work in a shop that all we did was Early corvettes (many of which went to Bloomington) but I wouldn't say I was a professional car restorer. Got a pic of your work?

A couple things you'll need for this pile:

A set of JIS screwdrivers. You think those are philips heads, they are not. You are going to need the right tool. Fortunately the right tools are cheap on amazon. Even just loosening them over time with a philips head will ruin the head

An impact driver (with a JIS bit). You are going to need to knock some fasteners loose.

A couple of service manuals. Why a couple? well the factory one will be marginally translated, and there are enough differences between the clymer and haynes that you'll want to consult all three to make sure you are getting it right.

By the way, what model do you actually have? I'm not seeing a CL72 made past 1965.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

From the limited search on the vin number I did nothing showed stolen, but I agree completely about the investment and investigation which is why I am here, picking through the minds of those that have been there done that. With the registration not being completed since the 70's, which is what I was told (yes I know), it should be DMV not on file with no historical penalties. I know this is a horrible assumption to make and once I decide what I want to do I will make the step as we all know, time is money.

Define "Restore cars professionally". I used to work in a shop that all we did was Early corvettes (many of which went to Bloomington) but I wouldn't say I was a professional car restorer. Got a pic of your work?

Custom builds, custom frame off restorations, of which I participated in all aspects. I'm really not looking to subject my background to scrutiny as to whether I did or did not here... It was not my shop, I was not the best there ever was, I simply did whatever each individual project commanded. I'd have to search for the pictures, it's been about 15 years but I do have one of one of my bikes. Name:  IMAG0273.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  2.63 MB I'm not claiming to have built this whatsoever...I traded my build for it

That JSS driver makes a lot of sense, I started to take the motor apart and found a lot of the screws already stripped. Ive found some documentation online regarding service manuals but agree entirely, the more literature the better.

Thanks Geeto

oh and the vin...it was CL72 and started with 1014 which is what told me 64

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links