Seat Cowl from tank
Close

Seat Cowl from tank

This is a discussion on Seat Cowl from tank within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Awhile back a guy posted about making a Cafe Seat cowl out of an old tank. Well, I want to do that on my RD350, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seat Cowl from tank

Awhile back a guy posted about making a Cafe Seat cowl out of an old tank. Well, I want to do that on my RD350, but actually carrying it out successfully begs some questions:

1) What to use to clean the inside so thoroughly to ensure there are absolutely no fumes left that can explode from sparks made while cutting it in half; the tank has been in use and has not yet been taken off or drained.

2) What exactly to use to cut it so as to do minimal damage to the paint and graphics. Since its the same color and graphics as the other, I'd like to be able to just touch up where it's cut and not have to blast and repaint, if it's possible.

Any ideas to facilitate this would be appreciated!

Hey im doing that with mine right now(pics as soon as i can get them on here) first though, im not sure how the graphics or paint are gonna stay intact...to get good welds you gotta strip that paint off in the weld areas, then prolly(if you did the welding late at night after working all day already and yer tired and starving) yer gonna havta grind those welds down a bit...Diy is one thing, being a total slob is another... oh and as long as yer not cuttin into a full tank and you let it air out a day or two you should be fine... i just used a cutting wheel...make sure you cut it a little bigger than what you wnt it so when you grind it down to neaten it up and prep for welding you dont lose too much and in case you didnt cut straight you have some to work with...hope that helps a little.....

#1-I just rinse the tank out wish water a couple times and let it dry.
    #2-You'll be upholstering this, right? Can't you just overlap the seat cover an inch or so over the cut, so it would cover up any paint damage? Jimmy

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input so far.

Here's my plan of attack:

1) Clean out, dry tank
    2) Mark on the current seat how far I want it to go back before becoming in contact with the cowl. Mark the pan with a slight indent cut which will survive media blasting.
    3) Strip off foam, have it blasted and powder coated.
    4) Cut the cowl and rivet it onto the back of the pan. I cannot yet, and do not yet have a welder, so that's out. I saw other posts in which people said it works fine. I'll probably epoxy a very thin neoprene layer in between both pieces with holes allowed for the rivets, since the RD350 is a fairly buzzy bike.

I planned on allowing at least 1/2" overlap in front length to have something to work with, perhaps keep the piece on top as a base to attach a very small, long, narrow hinge for the cover. I'm still working on ideas and thoughts for the cowl front cover.

I have a (cheap) air angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. What type of wheel or device are you using, teighlor? I'd love to see pics. I even wondered if it would be too difficult, too much work to try using a hacksaw so as t minimize paint damage. Am I way off base here?
    In more thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated, as would pictures, too![img][/img]

Edited by - Quicklimegirl on Feb 24 2007 10:01:20 PM

try using a sawzall...just a thought
    parks

Oop, picture didn't load, I'll try again:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...rl/TankCut.jpg

an air cutoff wheel would probably work the best. the pain is going to be destroyed anyway you do it. a sawzall will work but those tanks are usualy pretty flimsy. once i tried to get the dents out of mine by filling it with compressed air. it moved the sides apart, as if to flatten it, then it blew the seams. there was a guy on here who was doing them. i think the guy in florida had done a few. they looked pretty cool.

jc

you will work really really slowly and probably go through a zillion blades but the small cutoff wheels on a dremel might give you the cut with the least damage to the paint. their cutoff wheels are thinner.

The question then becomes how are you going to attach it to the seat pan? I suggest rivets since welding will ruin the paint.

yeah a sawzall would work great, just vice the thing down tight..... i just used an air cutoff wheel thought and just go kinda slow... the metal is super thin, and i guess you could rivet it instead of welding...and like someone else said if yer upholstering then you could cover whatever paint damage you make.... as soon as im done i will post pics for yous....

Tape off the line (and the rest of the cowl to be to protect from sparks) you want to cut and use a cutoff wheel and go slow. Any reciprocating saw will snag and you run the risk of bending the tank a cracking the paint. I used vinyl door edging to dress up the edge between the cowl and the seat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links