1974 RD350 - Page 4
Close

1974 RD350

This is a discussion on 1974 RD350 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Seriously, what is wrong with buying what you can afford? I bought my project bike for 600 bucks and have put a grand into ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1974 RD350

quote:
    Seriously, what is wrong with buying what you can afford? I bought my project bike for 600 bucks and have put a grand into it. I'm single, 23, and don't make that much money. I bought clubmans because they were significantly cheaper than the clip ons, bought a headlight fairing because it was cheaper than a whole front/side fairing etc. If you say that these things "make you gay" then your saying the few of us who enjoy the cafe racer look and feel but can't drop as much as others are gay. A ridiculous notion if you ask me. I also have flush mount turn signals because they were cheap, make the bike more sleak, and don't clip bicycle riders when I ride buy. All and all I say make your bike what you want it, we are bikers regardless and to make clicks inside a click, inside a click, defeats what I really enjoy about being a rider.
    First off Clubmans aren't gay because they are cheap. They are gay because their installation is sometimes outside the limits of the skills of the newbie who bought them because they are cheap. I can;t tell you how many newbies I have seen ruin controls, bars, tanks, and sometimes top trees installing a set of bars they bought because they were cheap (sometime they look fine but are setup to puncture the gas tank in a wreck or worse break your wrist in a wreck - something clipons are less likely to do since they are more likely to fold back). Clipons give the same effect and are much easier to install and are way more adjustable. Plus they are only marginally more expensive. A culbman bar is more difficult to install than a drag or superbike bar because you have now brought the end of the bars below the plane of the motorcycle, meaning you have increased the chances of 1) something binding when you turn, 2) the bars impacting the bike itself before hitting full lock; and you are very limited in the shape. Because of their cheap price newbies are attacted to them like flies to honey, but because of inexpirence they really don't think about these other things - looking cool is too important. In the long run it is more often cheaper to buy a cheap pair of clip-ons (plus you get more street cred if you care about such stuff)

Second, original dunstall clubmans are usually more expensive than a cheap set of clipons. When I say cheaping out, a lot of guys who bougt dunstall bikes or bike packages new cheaped out on the handlebars because back then the original dunstall clipons were more expensive (now replicas are usually around $40). There is no real pysical difference between a fixed original dunstall bar and any other fixed loop style clubman, it is just the name cache that gets the high price and to me that is pretty gay that you will pay more for something for a bike based on the name.

Adjustable clubmans are a completely different story however and I don't have any real problem with them, they are usually more expensive than a cheap set of clipons. Neither do I have a problem with clubmans on race bikes because a lot of the problems of street installation are solved by the deletion of equipment and if you are racing your bike you have some idea of what you are doing and it isn't going to be something to ruin your bike (also some classes may require it).

witmen, we fuck around here a lot - don't take anything personally and give it back when you can (in good fun - that means be funny when you do). in the end it is your bike so you can saw it in half for all I care but I think you got some useful info out of this place despite the fact that your post essentially stepped on a landmine by mentioning clubmans. That being said if you are going to get low bars (clubmans or clipons) get rearsets, not point in being uncomfortable on stock pegs.

Edited by - geeto67 on Mar 15 2007 1:56:15 PM

Is this what happens to skater boys? Do they become cafe racer emo kids? I look it as just a really ugly cheap motorcycle that has the potential to be a some what fun bike. Besides why would anyone be a "wanna be" cheap and ugly motorcycle owner? Is this part of the EMO lifestyle is it to the point where things are so nerdy they become cool? I really don't understand non conformist types. Me personal I'm a wanna be nice motorcycle owner. Which I do own a nice bike. Some day I'll be a wanna be hayabusa owner. This bike was just something cheap to act stupid on. It cost less then the rear tyre on my other motorcycle. And it's in perfect condition, if there is so many damn wanna be cafe racers wouldn't the guy gotten more then 200 out of it? Someone buy me a tyre and I'll tread ya even. God damn emo kids.

quote: you know what the worst thing about running a bike with clubman handlebars???????

having to tell your parents that you are GAY!!!!

I would think that if clubman bars do indeed make you gay, the anal sex with other men (part & parcel of being gay) would be much, much worse than telling your parents.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

EMO kid? dude you are sadly mistaken. sadly..... now stop yer whining and go fix that bike.... i was simply sayin, look around,,, figure it out yerself or you will have the same bike as someone else... yer the one that took offense directly to what i said.....so stop cryin and put that thing together....oh and tell yer girlfriend to stop calling me......

I thought QuickLIme was a guy too...coulda sworn I say a post that said so.... I always wanted to mention it was kind of a gay name for a guy...but you know, I was being correct...cause I'm a correct sort of guy...ask anybody.

Witmen...these guys are just busing your chops. RD's are great, fast, good handling machines and they all know it.

Hell...most of them are gay wannabe's.

BTW...anyone see South Park last night?
    JohnnyB

I didn't take offense I just was a little scared this was an emo kind of thing. I wasn't actually as mad as I sounded. I just thought I had bought an emo bike and it made me very very paranoid.

quote:
    I didn't take offense I just was a little scared this was an emo kind of thing. I wasn't actually as mad as I sounded. I just thought I had bought an emo bike and it made me very very paranoid.

ain't no "kitten blood" motosickles around here..... (if you don't get it don't worry it is a pretty obscure reference)

besides...what does emo (or punk for that matter) have to do with motorcycles?

On secondt thought, Witmen...you bought a very gay emo motorcycle and they only way to redeem yourself is to sell it to me for the $200 you paid.

BTW an RD is not a beater bike, it is a classic death machine. wait till you ride it....just wait

Edited by - geeto67 on Mar 15 2007 2:57:03 PM

Hearing all of the wanna be talk made me think non conformist. non conformist makes me think EMO. I actually hate the term wanna be. I also hate when people are pissed off when there favorite bad sells out. Or the people that hate Nirvana cause it was a 3 string band who cares. Maybe I'm just overly exposed to dumb people.

" Lance, Why do you call them lawyer lamps? lawyers have nothing to do with turn signals whatsoever - so PISS OFF "
    This is in reference to the physical size of some of the turn signals on certain bikes
    Believe me I am not disputing the need for them.
    But size of them and hence the move for some of us to smaller turn signals
    Which were also maligned here

77 bmw R75/7
    74 Suzuki T-500 with clubmans and little turn signals

maybe yer pussy needs a bandaid.....STOP WHINING.....Ride that fuckin thing, or sell it. stop worrying so much what the fuck is goin on here...who gives a shit. doesnt even matter.....hell i dont know why i even give a shit about yer pussy booboo.....but whatever....its a 200 dollar bike. ride the fucker til its dead. then bring it back to life and ride it again.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links