bikes no longer look like bikes!!!
Close

This is a discussion on bikes no longer look like bikes!!! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Saw the cover of american bike it has a red bike with a single side mount front fork a single mounted rear wheel and a ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Saw the cover of american bike it has a red bike with a single side mount front fork a single mounted rear wheel and a side mounted engine.Different yes, cool not really.It just the bikes they build (CUSTOM BIKES that is) has grown to a scope of CNC machining.
    I think its great they keep pushing boundries in design and in cnc machine abilities,but cool is not a word Id associate with them art is more like it .
    The bike looks great all by itself, looking at it on a poster on the wall or as a feature in an artical.But soon as you stick a rider on it the bike almost always looks to small, to big, to stretch to low, to tall ...They look wrong with a driver on them...kind of kills the cool factor to me.
    I went to a custom bike show and alot of the TV guys bikes were there and out of the hundreds of bikes I liked not on was one of theirs .A few friends and i walked around i found 15 bikes that stood out as cool just undeniable COOL they all had a handcrafted feel to there look ...and looked like they didnt cost a Gazillion dollars (for a machine with TWO wheels)
    At least a Vintage Cafe Racer looks mechanical,is machanical,a cool bike even if you stick a rider on it it looks COOL.
    May be its just me but I enjoy looking at these custom bikes but I real dont want one sitting in my garage waiting for me to take it out ,they dont call to be driven just looked at.
    I HAVE NEVER seen a vintage racer that didnt make be want to jump on and blast down the road NEVER!Or collect them and smuggly covet them in my garage.I just cant say that about the current style of custom bikes .

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

Edited by - LiLBull on Mar 24 2007 09:00:06 AM

Edited by - LiLBull on Mar 24 2007 09:02:35 AM

rat
    I agree...

my CB750 build is purely practical (for me)...

I've swapped out the front end to a GL1000 for the dual discs, wider trees and larger fork legs. I'm going to keep the mid-controls, swap out the swingarm for a DOHC to add some length, I've downsized the brake master from an 11/16 to a 5/8 to improve feel... it's not a performance machine, it's gonna be a highway hauler. I am going to drill the front rotors, and add some cartridge emulators eventually.

There are concessions to "cool" on it. I've added apes, because I find them comfortable, swapped the front rim to take a 16 X 5" tire... and most of the parts I'm using are old, vintage crap that I can find for cheap (pre-war gas taps, a 30 year old Triumph tank, a 60 year old Tractor headlight, 40 year old Triumph risers etc).

I'm not a fan of the over-engineered "look what i can do" bikes... no soul.

Right now, it's a stock frame on 16X3" rims, with a tank precariously perched atop the uncut frame, and it looks like a crackheads monkey bike. I'm hoping to have it on the road by mid summer.

One man's story
    is another man's shame,
    Ain't bound for glory
    I'm bound for flames

"Right now, it's a stock frame on 16X3" rims, with a tank precariously perched atop the uncut frame, and it looks like a crackheads monkey bike. I'm hoping to have it on the road by mid summer."

how do you post that and not provide a picture!

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

rat
    heh!

here it is.

Threw it together to see if it sat level. It does. Once the DOHC swingarm is on, I'll add a spacer to the dampening rod to compensate.

Horizontal frame rails will be coming out (the tank is about 4 inches higher than it will be in the pic because of them) with all the necessary gussetting and reinforcing of course.

That's my 350 in the background, should be on the road in a couple of weeks.

The tire to the left is my buddy's ground up rigid SOHC build... it's pretty sweet.

ugly isn't it?

One man's story
    is another man's shame,
    Ain't bound for glory
    I'm bound for flames

n/a
    I like all the BEER!!

Champ

ehhh what is that behind the tool box a 350 or 450???? see how whats in the back ground matters its an old ebay trick have absolutely nothing in the back ground or us idiots come out of the wood work asking about beer and handle barless bikes and everything else off topic....looks good so far ...really man what is that behind the tool box...really..?

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

rat
    It's my '72 CB350.

It's getting a CB750 front end, Thomaselli clubmans and a 1/4 fairing this week (hopefully... depending on whether or not I get off my ass).

Then I'll ride the snot out of it all summer, and as time permits, it's getting some wrapped CL350 pipes, with a megaphone collector, some rearsets and a leather cafe seat made by yours truly. The plan is to tear it all down next winter and paint it... "cast iron" sliders, frame and niggly bits, with flat black tins and fairing.

One man's story
    is another man's shame,
    Ain't bound for glory
    I'm bound for flames

That thing looks retarded.

Portland, Oregon. (But not the hipster douchebag part of town.)
    Less beer during the build might be helpful. Although, maybe there's something to be said for not needing a kickstand. Very inovative.

Cheers, Bret @ Glass from the Past

rat
    Retarded? That's a little harsh... I think you just lack imagination. It'll end up exactly how I want it to.

As for the beer... I don't drink. That's my buddy's garage.

Here's my initial idea... original drawing stolen from Armuss at homemadehonda.com, and altered to fit my ideas.

One man's story
    is another man's shame,
    Ain't bound for glory
    I'm bound for flames

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links