What to do...
Close

What to do...

This is a discussion on What to do... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hypothetically, if I had a $5000 budget to spend, should I... Buy a running bike- a little track star RS125 smoker (titled and registered)... (not ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jcw

Thread: What to do...

jcw

What to do...

Hypothetically, if I had a $5000 budget to spend, should I...

Buy a running bike-

a little track star RS125 smoker (titled and registered)...
    (not this one on ebay but similar)
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  232.8 KB

or a not-so-old, reliable R100R on craigslist
    Name:  00J0J_gM6nh1ejEUx_1200x900.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  138.5 KB

Or start a new (cringe) "build" with an existing bike in the garage...

R75/5- needs everything
    Name:  WP_20160517_22_21_19_Pro.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  313.1 KB

or a cool 80's superbike build with
    CB1100F- honestly don't know what it needs.
    Name:  WP_20141108_002.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  96.1 KB

Interestingly, I'm betting all are probably gonna cost me about the same in the end.

jcw
    Pricing out picture #3 at the moment.

This would be so coool...
    Name:  bm.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  189.4 KB
    Name:  304471_187525234705785_269695246_n_zps001cc3d4.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  47.8 KB
    Name:  john_downs.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  60.0 KB
    Last edited by jcw; 04-06-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Depends what you want to do with it really. If you want a fun track-day bike I'd go the 125, but if you want something a bit more relaxed and tour friendly it's hard to go past an air head.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw
    I'm just mentally playing around. There's no way I can justify another bike around here.
    I've GOT to move or polish some of the turds in the garage.

Don't have $5K to blow all at once on a new bike anyway. At least the new build can be a gradual thing.

I'd love that little aprilia, though.
    Last edited by jcw; 04-06-2017 at 12:24 AM.

Do a resto on the R75/5. It looks too good to chop up. Although I do like the race bike photos.
    Don't know how much you have in it now but a resto would probably be more feasable financially
    whether you keep it or sell it.

jcw
    Quote Originally Posted by s10hornet View Post
    Do a resto on the R75/5. It looks too good to chop up. Although I do like the race bike photos.
    Don't know how much you have in it now but a resto would probably be more feasable financially
    whether you keep it or sell it.
    I was going to do a nice resto when I first bought it (a year ago now?). I thought I was buying a 1973 LWB 75/5, but apparently someone along the way converted this 72. My desire to keep it stock was greatly diminished. Price was still decent so I took it home.

Other than the price of admission, I haven't touched it. Changed the fluids and started it.

That picture for some reason flatters it greatly. I'd rather ride that pic than my bike.

The engine leaks oil from the pushrod seals, Bing carbs leak gas and are generally shit, someone broke off the choke linkage off one probably because it wouldn't run when connected. sidestand not right, dents in the chrome accents on the tank. fiberglass front fender is cracked. Starter doesn't spin, all the electrical switches are wonky, tach needle bounces around and ready to fall off. Engine barely runs but just. Brakes don't exactly stop the bike, just slow it down.

Frame is in decent shape, though. Tank is solid. And the engine however leaky and worn out, runs.

My plans, brace the shit out of the frame particularly around the swingarm pivot. Solidworks modeling in progress now. Bolt on front end conversion that come with custom stem, triples (stock top triple is a flat plate. talk about flexy) and brand new tubeless wire wheels in the stock 19" size. I'll bang out a new seat. Weld on a new subframe. Do another one of the pie cut exhausts. YSS or Ohlins rear shocks. I've got the Tarozzi rearsets I'm not using. And something for the carbs... RS flatsides?

Engine will need replacing the seals and whatever maintenance work. I don't even know at the moment but it's gonna be extensive.

Then hit up monkey for a fairing. I want a bike with a fairing next. Powdercoat the cases gloss black. It's gonna be my attempt at an artsy project so I might not bore this site with much details.
    Last edited by jcw; 04-06-2017 at 09:46 AM.
    Tanshanomi and WERA689 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    I'm betting all are probably gonna cost me about the same in the end.
    At least you have the airhead in the garage......half the battle.

It would be nice to see a BMW project.....especially if it's like the one you have pictured.

Sponsored Links