less stable? - Page 2
Close

less stable?

This is a discussion on less stable? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; My wife did the same thing about three years ago...rock about 1", wheel locked up, down she went (2000 Suz SV650) JohnnyB...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: less stable?

My wife did the same thing about three years ago...rock about 1", wheel locked up, down she went (2000 Suz SV650)

JohnnyB

yeah, happens when yer on a skateboard too......got some chipped teeth from that...

no more talk about going down. don't like the imagery.
    parks

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:
    no more talk about going down. don't like the imagery.
    parks

really, I love it when people go down......
    ......on me

there is a section of rt 40 that passes my shop. i take it everyday. there is one part of it that has 2 lights about 150' apart cresting a slight incline. i was sitting on my bike in traffic one morning on the way in and the first of the 2 lights had turned red. there were about 5 cars in front of me stopped. the light went green, as did the second one, they are synched, and traffic took off. as did i. what i didnt know because i was tucked up behind all the traffic going forward was that there was a truck at some point earlier that morning carrying a load of old bricks. im guessing that when the truck left the 1st light and took off up the small hill, the load shifted and it dumped a bunch of old broken bricks out. maybe 20 or so. they were scattered all over my lane. i rolled off, managed to avoid all but one. i ended up jumping it at about 20 mph. both wheels off the ground. i thought for sure i was going down. it tank slapped, i held on and rode out of it. but jb, i swear it was like that endurance race where i hit the curb in 3 and you had to pick my bike up. thats how violent it felt. i was lucky there was no one behind me. those bars are great at speed on a smooth road, but anywhere else clubmans, or clip ons or anything like that suck. i was really lucky. it would have been a messy lowspeed crash in the middle of a very busy road. wider bars would have definitely helped alot. there are still bricks lying on the median strip from that day and its been almost a year.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

My 550 is way better around town than my GSXR, even with clubmans. If I wanted to be more practical with my 550 I'd either put drag bars on it or clubmans with less end drop. My nephew rides it some he's enough taller than me that the clubmans don't bother him at all. I still have the stock pegs on it. I've been visualizing rearsets since I'll have to make my own. I'm looking to move them about 2" up and back. I think the bikes I see using the passenger peg locations for rearsets would be terrible to ride at anything slower than highway speeds.

04 KDX 200
    05 KX 250f- SOLD!
    01 GSXR 750
    75 GT 550
    68 Chevelle

I haven't fitted one yet, but does the front end stabiliser help or hinder this feeling,

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

I haven't fitted one yet, but does the front end stabiliser help or hinder this feeling,

Depends what you mean. I can feel myself fighting the damper on my GSXR at super slow speeds, so there it hurts. If you're talking about taking the twitchyness out at higher speeds they help. The one on my RZ had a knob you could control the damping. I'd turn it basically off around town, then clear up if I was gonna corner bash.

04 KDX 200
    05 KX 250f- SOLD!
    01 GSXR 750
    75 GT 550
    68 Chevelle

thats what I would think low speed fight and high speed help,and the old school ones its none adjustable,I know modern bikes are.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links