Fork Detail
Close

Fork Detail

This is a discussion on Fork Detail within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; At great risk of offending the racing purist I'll go ahead and post this. From reading this forum for sometime now I know that some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork Detail

Fork Detail

At great risk of offending the racing purist I'll go ahead and post this. From reading this forum for sometime now I know that some of you are just trying to make your ride look cool. I pulled the headlight "ears" off of my 350 (because they're ugly) and bought aftermarket bucket mounts. This left the upper forks bare and although you can clean them...over and over and over to keep them looking ok, I was looking for something cheap to make them look good. Enter Home Depot. For $5.00 I bought 1 1/4 chrome sink drain pipe and cut it to length to fit between the triple trees. A little duct tape made up the slight difference in diameter.

I thought it looked pretty good and it was cheaper that a chromer. And yeah, I know, those are clubmans.

Edited by - 350Four on Apr 08 2007 10:31:20 AM

looks pretty good, although I am not 100% sure how well the adhesive from the duct tape is going to treat your forks underneath, plus you have created the same moisture trap that the original ears did. Other than that is it a good idea and I like it. How do you keep it from sliding around? the friction of the Duct Tape?

Looks fine to me. Seal the top and bottom with silicone maybe to keep the moisture out....course that could make it worse I guess.
    JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The tube's wedged in pretty tight in a groove on the bottom and the top triple tree keeps the top tight. Additionally the light ears keep it from spinning.

yeah, i wouldnt seal it at all if possible. let the water and moisture run through and breath. id wrap some tape around just enough to keep them from rattling and making the headlight shake. if hes covering up ugliness, it probably really doesnt matter anyway. the nice thing is when the headlight ears wear through, its brass underneath, so no rust! funny the creativity people have. if i got that bike in 10 years with that on there id seriously wonder about the condition of the person who did it. while simultaneously admiring the brilliance.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

ps, anytime you can use duct tape on your bike is good.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

rubber o rings at a hardware or plumbing store is better the duct tape.they come in so many sizes you'd cure that problem and since you came up with this idea im sure duct tape would go against your grain.I just wax all the chrome with good caunuba wax.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

awesome idea, thanks duder.

tex

Great idea. I'd like to ditch the headlight ears on my CB750, but keep the stock fork boots. That solves the problem. Thanks.

the 750 has larger tubes. make sure they fit before you rip it all apart.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links