stupid 3 phase power
Close

stupid 3 phase power

This is a discussion on stupid 3 phase power within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; i just finished installing a new dust extractor at my shop. at my old shop there was a extractor with a switch that looked like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stupid 3 phase power

i just finished installing a new dust extractor at my shop. at my old shop there was a extractor with a switch that looked like a typical single phase, single pole, 2 way switch. i figured breaking one leg of the 3 phase was what it was doing. im wrong. if i use a 2 pole, single phase, 2 way switch, will that work? im asking because those are 16 dollars. and 3 phase magnetic machine switches are about 75. that and ive exhausted all of my options for people to ask.

please?

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

If you break 2 legs of the 3 phase, then the device will not function, or 'try' to function.

Edited by - mikeinnh on Apr 11 2007 8:53:24 PM

duh, i know that. but can i use a 2 pole 2 way wall switch to do that? thats what i need to know. i think i can but im not 100% sure. i know there is a wall switch that will work, i just dont kno wi f thats it.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yeah you got to get either the magnetic type you are talking about or a 3 phase disconect no fuese in it just a disconnect
    what sort of amperage are you talking about ?

you can not remove any one or two legs not good for the motor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Square-D-30-amp-...QQcmdZViewItem
    check this out great price
    here is another

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENERAL-ELECTRIC...ayphotohosting

77 bmw R75/7
    74 Suzuki T-500 with clubmans and little turn signals

Edited by - lance on Apr 11 2007 9:08:39 PM

thats not true. we ran our jointer and our dust extractor on 3phase with a typical looking wall switch for years. literally going on 20 for the jointer. i dont want to buy the magnetic type because i will either have to get it from grainger or some other expensive place, or will have to wait for it. i dont know how to get in touch with the electrician that did it for us before, but i know its doable. its a 3hp 208. so maybe 5-7 amps. im not totally new at it but ive never had to provide a switch for this stuff before. and i know, im supposed to have a disconnect at every machine, but i dont. comeon....2 pole, 2way. will it work?

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

ps, i think i got a wheel in the mail today!!!

Edited by - joe c on Apr 11 2007 9:13:37 PM

ok iam of no help
    77 bmw R75/7
    74 Suzuki T-500 with clubmans and little turn signals

Edited by - lance on Apr 11 2007 9:19:55 PM

damned! when i get it figured out, ill post up.

damned.

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

yes, dpst, double pole single throw swithes will work on 3 phase.!

jc

aaron, send my wheel.

just a little wrinkle...magnetic switches are used in the interest of safety. one added bonus to their degree of separation between you and more (a lot more) than 3 hp of 3 phase electricity is that they always require to be turned on again after an interuption (intended or otherwise) of power. imagine if you had a power outage while the shop was in full song and someone (everyone?) forgot to turn off the machine(s) they were working on. when power was restored, the shop would come alive with possible bad results. i really like those switches which have a big botton which can be easily kneed into the off position in the event of a bad situation. they cost more than 75.00 though. out all the machines in a wood shop, a big jointer has to be one of the most potentially dangerous. yeah i'm a wimp.
    parks
    p.s. my old (80+) electrician used to check line voltage by the tingle he got touching a couple of the wires. champ met the guy a few years ago and he (champ) got a laugh hearing about his (the electrician's) interactions with the wommen over the years...one was a customer of mine whom he groped in a (little) 2 person elevator. couldn't send him to her house after that.

joe
    sorry about the jointer part......didn't mean to sound lecturous; like you don't already know about their risk....and just realized you're doing your dust collector...those are really dangerous (ha ha)
    parks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links