1972 Yamaha DS7 2 stroke - back to life
Close

This is a discussion on 1972 Yamaha DS7 2 stroke - back to life within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; During my surgery residency (which I just graduated a few weeks ago), one of our front desk greeters would always comment on my helmet - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1972 Yamaha DS7 2 stroke - back to life

During my surgery residency (which I just graduated a few weeks ago), one of our front desk greeters would always comment on my helmet - "nice helmet…full face…etc". I would wave and smile and make small talk, not thinking too much about it. She was around 80 years old, I thought she was just being pleasant.
    One day she stops me in the morning as I'm rushing to rounds, "You know I used to ride when I was younger! It was a 2 stroke. Peppy little thing!"….2 strokes being a rarity I further enquire and run a short list of bikes (the RD series and the GT series). She kept saying No. Months go by and she says "Im emptying my barn and selling my farm, I found my old bike, wanna see it?". Of course!
    I head over to her gorgeous farmhouse and huuuuuuuuge barn/warehouse (her family owned the lehigh valleys first and largest landscaping and farming bushiness) and in a small side room with a partially collapsed wall and gravel floor is a bike underneath a bunch of and tools. It smelled like cat piss and dirt. Flat tires, rusty, crusty but spun free and at least out of the rain.
    Dig it out and its her DS7 250. Never heard of it, googled it and found out that its the precursor to the RD250. I see the potential and ask her what she wanted to do with it. She was downsizing and sold it to me for a fair amount. I told her id get it running for her and she would one day ride again. She told me about her husbands passing, his time in the service and her riding alongside his "honda 750" - which was sold long ago. One of her employees dropped it off the next day with the title.
    Rusty tank, dead points, clogged carbs but good bones. I get to work on all the above….but its not easy operating all day and then coming home and wrenching after 3 hours of studying. impossible.
    fast forward 2 years….i see her in one of my hallways on a stretcher…she tells me she was getting aortic valve surgery (basically open heart surgery). This lit a serious fire to get it done.
    Lots of struggles in between to get it running and late nights with deadbeat mechanics (hired for diagnostic help) who failed to show up/point me in the right direction ….. but lets skip that crap and get to the pics.
    This afternoon, as I'm studying for my boards and packing the house to move away to fellowship, I invited her over to see the bike. I cleaned the tank last night and finally buttoned everything up.
    I had her pull the cover off it to see her reaction.
    She almost cried when she saw it… "there she is! I remember her".
    The wife used my daughters crayons to decorate a helmet for her and i took her on a spin around the block.
    Today was a good day.

Name:  DS7.jpeg
Views: 455
Size:  54.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1070.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  184.8 KBName:  IMG_1072.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  163.0 KB

after a bunch of work and polish
    Name:  IMG_1086.JPG
Views: 842
Size:  189.0 KBName:  IMG_1091.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  148.8 KB

Most of you guys do much more in-depth and comprehensive restorations, but i just wanted to share this story as a fond memory and experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by anup_vince; 06-29-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    1977 Suzuki Gs550 + parts bike, 1981 Suzuki Gs 850, 1983 BMW R80,1984 BMW K75, BMW K1100, 1973 Honda CB360t, 1969 honda 305 Dream,1966 honda 305 Dream, 1963 Honda 305 dream, 2003 Suzuki SV650s (5k miles), 2003 SV650s (7k miles), 2003 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 1981 Honda CBX six, Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1972 Yamaha DS7, 2003 Anniversary HD Sportster 1200C.

Nicely done in every aspect.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Nice job. Glad you got her on it!

I've got a DS7 stuffed in to my rd400 frame cause i had it on hand when the 400 crank went south. I thought / was told it was an R5 and never checked the vin plate untill it would not pull like an r5 when duing a plug check (jetting check) i read the vin and said shit no wonder why i need one less tooth in the front to wheelie...
    \"Smok\'in the competition NOT Tobacco\"
    \"Transplant organs, Don\'t bury them!\"

USCRA #944
    WVRC #44
    www.wvrclub.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Great story. Thanks for sharing. The bike looks great.

oustanding, thats the good life,bud =you be livin it

Miss those days with the Yamaha 2 stroke bikes man! They were the meanest machines one could own!

largely its been an awesome process…tedious as you can imagine and a lot of research and reading in between.
    sadly the air inlet boots from the air box to the carbs are warped and refuse to make a seal again….so I'm searching for options and even considering the dreaded "stand alone filters".
    when i first ran the bike, it was from a pre-mix fuel bottle, with a touch extra oil for safe measure….boy did she smoke. Now I'm pretty certain that the auto-lube system works by itself, since the plugs get a light misting when the kickstarted is applied for a few rounds, so i filled the tank with 2 cycle and weaned the ole gal back to premium alone in the tank.
    Under full load and throttle, she still leaves a light blue/white plume from treeline to treeline on a 2 lane back road.
    So how much smoke is too much smoke?…any descriptions or rules of thumb?
    Also she doesn't like to build rpm under load (around 2-3k) and sounds boggy/sucking air….but then when i pull in the clutch, and feather the throttle she rips back into the power band allowing me to release the clutch and get back into the power (example, leisurely pulling up an incline in 2nd gear, she will bog, till i provide a clutch assisted rpm boost)- what does this suggest/air leak is my thought/or is it an re-contaminated carb?
    Last edited by anup_vince; 06-30-2017 at 06:20 AM.
    1977 Suzuki Gs550 + parts bike, 1981 Suzuki Gs 850, 1983 BMW R80,1984 BMW K75, BMW K1100, 1973 Honda CB360t, 1969 honda 305 Dream,1966 honda 305 Dream, 1963 Honda 305 dream, 2003 Suzuki SV650s (5k miles), 2003 SV650s (7k miles), 2003 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 1981 Honda CBX six, Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1972 Yamaha DS7, 2003 Anniversary HD Sportster 1200C.

Don't short shift it.

Quote Originally Posted by anup_vince View Post
    Also she doesn't like to build rpm under load (around 2-3k) and sounds boggy/sucking air….but then when i pull in the clutch, and feather the throttle she rips back into the power band allowing me to release the clutch and get back into the power (example, leisurely pulling up an incline in 2nd gear, she will bog, till i provide a clutch assisted rpm boost)- what does this suggest/air leak is my thought/or is it an re-contaminated carb?
    it suggests that you hate your clutch material, stop doing that

What oil are you using, there is a huge difference in the amount of smoke and residue produced by various brands of 2-smoke oil. You are limited to the ones that are thin enough to run in your autolube system but typically full synthetics produce the least amount of unburnt material and can be run more lean. The more oil you add to your fuel the lower your fuel octane rating will be. Keep in mind that in 1972 we had fuel at the pump rated in excess of 100 octane and full synthetic 2-stroke oils did not yet exist.

Your bike has a piston port type engine, one of the biggest reasons they added reed valves to the intake ports on later models was to improve the low and mid range performance.

Awesome story! Picturing my grandmother riding on the back of a bike, swearing like a sailor.

I use Maxima Bio 2T in my RD, and it's been great. No fouling and just the right amount of smoke if the pump is adjusted correctly - adjustment under the motor's right-hand cover. Also, make sure your drums aren't dragging. I've had my drum stay loosen and cause the brakes to drag during a ride. Made it feel like it was bogging like you described.
    Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links