1976 T160 Value
Close

1976 T160 Value

This is a discussion on 1976 T160 Value within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Found this locally. Haven't gone to look at it. You know the deal, running when parked. Been repainted at some point, electronic ignition. That's all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1976 T160 Value

1976 T160 Value

Found this locally. Haven't gone to look at it. You know the deal, running when parked. Been repainted at some point, electronic ignition. That's all I know for now. Let's say it has compression. Guy is asking $3K for it. What's it worth guys?
    Name:  photo0_02.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  361.6 KBName:  photo0_03.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  805.3 KB

I know a guy up here selling a 2001 BMW good running and driving bike with semi low miles for 3K. So compared to that it's a rip if you ask me.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet you at a high profile mc swap meet in Ohio that like a 700 dollar bike.

With stuff like that if it is really that close then why doesn't he just get the little debbie running himself ??

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Vintage Britbike prices are in the toilet right now. You can pick up a runner for slightly more than this guy is asking.

Prices have dropped across the board on vintage stuff.
    it seems Brit stuff has been hit hardest.

few years ago pleople would have been falling over themselves to buy that for $3k.
    now, not so much.

issue is most people selling old stuff do not understand prices don't always go up.

while they have come down in price, there is zero chance that is a $700 bike.

i would think $2k is fair.
    maybe a little more if when you saw it in person it was better then you think.

it is missing a few original parts, so if restoring it that adds cost.

there is a local one to me.
    one owner.
    nice shape
    all original
    running(I think)
    asking $4k for months.

all other things equal it is worth at least a grand more then the one you posted.
    but still no buyers.
    drgonzo likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Something is worth exactly what somebody else is willing to pay for it, but he does not seem to keep it very clean or complete for something that he values at 3 grand. I see a grand worth of cleanup needed just to see what you're buying.

Thanks for the input guys. I knew some of you would know the current state of the Brit market. I figured the bike was at best worth about half the asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Something is worth exactly what somebody else is willing to pay for it, but he does not seem to keep it very clean or complete for something that he values at 3 grand. I see a grand worth of cleanup needed just to see what you're buying.
    I hate that "Something is worth exactly what somebody else is willing to pay for it" it's pure crap. If you are desperate to sell and nobody is interested maybe, but I prefer "what someone is prepared to sell it for". I get tyre kickers all the time looking at bikes and offering rubbish money, I just shut the door and they go away.

A well sorted T160 is a fine bike (a bit heavy though) but they are expensive to build, very expensive to build right so if you take the plunge be prepared. In the UK and Europe that bike would have £4-5k on it and it would sell. Other than the tank and a few other little things its a good basis to restore - hacked stock triples are worthless. Triumph and BSA triples are under generally under priced even in a depressed market, the T160 usually pulls a much better price than the T150 either UK or export.

Working on an X75 at the moment - I still don't understand the fascination.
    drgonzo likes this.
    Lite the blue touch paper and stand well back!

I've owned a T 160 and it was my least favorite Brit bike, too heavy and such a pain to work on. With the condition that bike is in I wouldn't go over $1K because you are going to have to spend so much on it to get it right.
    drgonzo likes this.

Timing is a huge part that will dictate selling price. Asking prices generally don't reflect value, worth or market. I remember when British bikes like Triumph, BSA and Norton were of very little value. A friend was picking them up, mostly needing work or not running, stock or old choppers and the like for $25-$35 each. He bought I think over 200 of them in a few short years period. Another friend has about 150 older British bikes, he bought my great running 1959 A10 BSA Super Rocket and my '57 750cc Enfield Indian in about 1979.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links