Cafe Racer Forum banner

I'm new, should I take a '80 cb650c for free!!!!!

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Geeto67 
#1 ·
I can get a free 1980 cb650c for and i was wondering if its worth it?

#2 ·
im a noob and even i know we need a lot more than that.. im putting together a bike i got for free also and theres been a lot of headachs... free bikes are free for a reason... theyre junk... sometimes you luck out sometimes you dont... ive got about 200 bucks into mine so far and im dropping my cylinder head at Napa's machine shop to get a spark plug removed tomorrow and then i need a new head gasket and ive still gotta start tackleing the wiring issues... the cylinder that had the sheared off plug in it had a nail in it too, dont know how it could have gotten there but the head is kinda mangled... im good with metal and i can easily save the head but most people wouldnt be able to... bikes, like anything else, you get exactly what you pay for...

1975 CB550 Cafe-in-progress

#3 ·
If it runs then its a awesome deal. If it can be made road worthy for less than a $1000 then its a great deal. Heck its a good deal if you take it and part it out. This is the free bike that I got 2 years ago. this is after I assembled it too.

And here it is 2 years later

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

#4 ·
quote:
I can get a free 1980 cb650c for and i was wondering if its worth it?
if it is free probably not. Free bikes are seldom worth the effort. If you have a pic of it that might help.

Personally, a 650 is only worth the motor to me because I could put it in a early cb500 chassis and have a 500/650 hot rod (it bolts in). The 650c itself is not an exceptional motorcycle otherwise.

If it is seized, walk away.

#6 ·
Heck, sounds ok to me. But then junk follows me home all the time. Tht "free" bike will end up being at least a $800 bike by the time it is "Safely" on the road. Tires, fork seals, tune up, probably a chain. If you don't do your own work the money goes really fast.

Or, clean it up and sell it on the bay "Good Runner". Needs a little carb work.....

#7 ·
I got four bikes for free and they all started and ran with normal dismantaling cleaning and reassembly.they sat for years '80 '74 '75
'74
Free is ok if you do all the work yourself,if you have to pay some one to work on it NO!
Just be sure you have title and pick the last owners brains all you can about the last known condition ,and even then use the "force" to see if what he says fits the actual condition the bike is in.
See if he has any reciepts of past work ,what ever you can get will help your trip back the the road.

As ussual "if you decide to take this job...Good Luck,and we will be seeing alot of you .If not buy a runner ,lowest mileadge you can afford and cafe it.Because its all about the cafe

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

#9 ·
if it runs but wont rev, either the carbs are gummed up or the pulse contoller has gone bad. Neither are that expensive (although the pulse controller is $70 in parts) to fix, but is it worth it to you?

Does it have a title? title issues can be a hassel and even a good title company will cost $150 before you can register it.

they aren't really that good a start for a cafe bike, there are others that are better but for a starter project bike that runs I guess you can't be the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.