My First Bike 1966 CB450-Future Cafe Racer - Page 2
Close

My First Bike 1966 CB450-Future Cafe Racer

This is a discussion on My First Bike 1966 CB450-Future Cafe Racer within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; You own my dream bike. Jerk. She's a beauty, too. Honda go sideways!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You own my dream bike. Jerk.

She's a beauty, too.

Honda go sideways!

BRGChap,

From your id it sounds to me like you are a british car guy, but of course BRG can stand for a lot of things other than British Racing Green.....

Nice CB 450. Pleeeeeezzz don't cut it up or do anything irrevisible.
    Nothing can be done to make that bike any cooler than it already is.

Jack

I had a 67 CB450 when I was 14 and learned how to ride on it. I have fond memories of that bike and I'd love to have one again. Good luck and as others have said, go easy on the mods, it's great as is. Wikkid cool bike.

Jeff

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

its your bike do what you want just leave that beauty of a gas tank alone it needs nothing...and do save what ever parts you replace or mod for the purists look on ebay and use those parts to modify so you have the originals for the next guy....like there will be a next guy HA!

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

black bomber stuff is kinda rare - and I am surprised he got his bike so cheap (although it is missing more than a few things). To put this in perspective I have seen a restored bike sell for $5000 and a museum piece sell for $10000.

most trade in the $2500-$3500 range for tattered originals.

surprisingly enough even superhawk and superhawk parts are more common than black bomber stuff.

Personally a set of rearsets and clipons are about all I would add to that bike. You put a set of cheap clubmans on that rig and I will personally hunt you down....

Edited by - geeto67 on Jun 04 2007 7:19:13 PM

If it were mine, I would carefully remove the pipes, fenders, shocks and airfilters and preserve them. Then I would find some alloy fenders, reverse cone megaphones, K&N filters, decent shocks and good tires. That is all I would do. Then it is all reversable and way cool.

Ken

AHRMA 412
    Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

I agree with that plan,i also agree the bike is dead cool as is.Its a dilema,when you get a bike thats a pure classic in its own right the tank, the forks with the covers, the shocks with the covers the seat the fenders all the details of a genuine.classic its almost a shame to do anything but get it running like a watch and drive it for what it is.the 450 twins mid seventies have a generic classic look the tanks are the same generic shape as any honda of the era the seat is over stuffed and over built the lights are like solid heavey lumps hanging in the wind,the handle bars are high .The grab bars is a lump of wieght easily removed.They realy come to life stripping them down...but your bike is like ,well it would be like taking Pam Anderson For a breast reduction and a face lift....where she is good to go, just as she is.

Alright you guys Iím not planning on chopping my bike up. I know exactly what I have- Black Bombers are one of my favorite bikes. Itís good to know so many other people also appreciate them.

What I do want to change on the bike are things that are reversible, although I have no plans for selling it. The first thing I want to change is to make it run. Next it needs air cleaners-I like originals or pods, the problem with pods is any thing with a diametera larger than 51mm (2Ē) will hit the battery box, the carb flange is 50mm so finding a set has been a bit of a challenge, K&N doesnít have anything that fits the speck.

I definitely want to swap out the seat, and lace another set of wheels in alloy. I will probably machine rearsets for it; I canít find any that I like. Then maybe Iíll get some clipons, although I do like the bars that are on it now.

I would also like to do a respray this winter; I was thinking hot pink, just kidding. Iíll probably do it in the original gray and black; I have seen them in all black and I like the way that looks. Does anyone know if that was factory; I know there were a few made in red. Iíll save the British racing green for my car.

Recent work:
    -Checking for manifold leaks w/ starter fluid, no dice-they seem to be fine
    -Charging the battery right now
    -My step dad had an odd idea to help determine if it is the carbs or valve train giving me a headache, ďswap the carbsĒ I did it, Iíll have to hold the choke on one of them, but I think it is worth a try.
    -I think the rings might be locked to the pistons from sitting for so long. I put some WD in the plug holes every night this weekend to see if they will loosen up the rings and maybe help the compression.
    -I will throw some mystery oil in it and see if that helps the valves and the rings.
    -Iím replacing the headlight right now; originals are pricey. Does anyone know if 33120-292-673 will fit in a K0 headlight bracket, it works for a K1-K4? It also has the benefit of being cheaper and having replaceable bulbs.

Until next time brush your teeth and mind your manners.

i would clean the carbs well,down to the smallist parts ,squirt mystery oil in all holes even in the float jets.I would darin tank to besure no crude is in the tank then blow it out with compressed air and put (Im not kidding mystery oil in the tank ...then some fresh gas.while i was doing all this I would pull the plugs squirt a good double dose of mystery oil in the cylinders so they can leak down to the rings .DONT be afraid of mystery oil its good for every thing rings head valves carbs fuel its the best stuff really is for old bikes .Id even unscrew the tapet plugs and squirt a more then healthy dose of mystery oil on top of the valve train ( cant hurt)
    check and clean your points then check and clean your points (not a Typo)

can you photo shop a set of cheap clubmans on that picture just to see how many people on this board loose there minds!! That would be histerical!! Lmao.

Pete

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links