2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic - Page 2
Close

2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

This is a discussion on 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Since my back situation limits my riding to certain types, I've been racking up some miles on this bike and I'm very pleased with it. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Since my back situation limits my riding to certain types, I've been racking up some miles on this bike and I'm very pleased with it.

Long hauls on this bike make 400 mile days not as taxing on the body as I thought it would be. On highway manners are excellent with it being very stable and predictable. Low speed manners are superb. Still having a difficult time with the turn signal locations but the forward controls I'm used to already.....and are comfortable at highway speeds. The last couple of days in the desert were hot. I've noticed going uphill on steeper grades...in the heat.... it looses power riding 2 up. It never overheats but you can feel the heats affect on the motor.

I guess I'm just getting used to it now that I surrendered to touring type motorcycles. It's not a bad deal

This old girl still has real good power left in her . Not like the Milwaukee 8 or anything CVO but she can ride 80-90 mph all day long.

Name:  IMG_0305.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  3.28 MB

Name:  Screenshot_2018-04-29-17-26-00-1.png
Views: 179
Size:  1.52 MB
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

Update

So next month would be a year since I've owned this bike. So far to date I've logged more than 21000 miles on this bike....all leisure. On the clock it has 68500 miles. It runs still flawless with us just returning from a 1200 mile San Francisco trip. I did have to replace the stator and rectifier, fuel pump and a set of tires front and back since I bought it. Overall I'm pleased with this bike.

Even after all this time I still can't get use to the blinker setup. I've hit the starter switch and kill switch many times while on the freeway by accident. Also a complaint is that when it gets hot and the weathers warm if you trail/use too much the back brake it will completely fade. The rear master cylinder is way too close to the front exhaust pipe....like an inch or so away. I've looked for a solution to this but really haven't found one. I may fabricate something to shield the rear master from the heat. But when it's hot and your in stop and go traffic and it's slow...and you trail the rear brake..be prepared for some fading.

So the only improvements/accessories I did to the bike was a front helmet lock....radio and phone holders...a Fusion Bluetooth setup and I installed Lovejugs. Over the summer....along with some rear brake fade....the bike would go into "parade mode" in that it got so hot it would shut off the rear cylinder. I purchased the smaller mighty mite Love Jugs...which are small fans that blow air from the side into the head. Ever since the installation it never over heated or went into parade mode again. The best modification ever for my year and model.

So for now I keep riding.

Attachment 95427

I really like the Bluetooth option. It only cost me $35 and was easy to install in that I wired it to the accessory/cigarette lighter...which is powered when the ignition switch is on.

Hoofhearted likes this.

Maybe DOT 5.1 in the rear m/c? What is in there now?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Maybe DOT 5.1 in the rear m/c? What is in there now?
    I really don't know what type it has....I've never replaced it. But I will now as when brake fluid gets hot/boils it's less effective.

I may have used the rear too much due to 30 miles of lane splitting through L.A. on a warm day. I'm sure HD engineers have gone through the design but to me it just seems way to close to a massive exhaust pipe.

Having starter problems with the HD so I purchased a new starter and going to install

At 71500 miles on the bike I feel it's normal wear on the clutch basket starter gear. Any thoughts?

Name:  20181205_134705.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  2.41 MB

Name:  20181205_134737.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.72 MB

This bike is just shy of hitting 80,000 miles. Since I purchased it at around 47,000 miles I have racked up nearly 33,000 miles. I needed to put a new compensator in a couple of weeks ago but she still rolls along easily and effortlessly.......chewing up Monarch butterflies outside of Yuma AZ.

It's funny......even after all those miles I still sometimes have a problem with the turn signal locations....often times using the PTT/stereo adjustment switch as the signal switch. But when I get back on my Goldwing I never confuse the switches on it for the HD switches. At this point I may never get use to it.

Name:  20190310_073356.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  3.10 MB

Name:  20190305_163526.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  2.78 MB
    Last edited by knappyfeet; 03-18-2019 at 03:56 PM.

I want to invent a decent chain tensioner for those things and then use the profits to buy a small island somewhere warm.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    I want to invent a decent chain tensioner for those things and then use the profits to buy a small island somewhere warm.
    I reinstalled the original one back on. It was around half way out.

I have a new one but I figure I'll install a new chain, clutch plates and maybe a new drive belt..... everything's got to come off to do that including the swingarm. Hoping I can get another 10K to 15K on everything before I have to do it. Actually the belt still got some real good tension in it so it may go farther than that.... Maybe farther than the clutch

Name:  20190319_080343.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  1.84 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    the stock tensioner/slack controller sure looks like a welll designed unit
    what would vdo to improve it
    are there complaints about the oem units functionality

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I reinstalled the original one back on. It was around half way out.

I have a new one but I figure I'll install a new chain, clutch plates and maybe a new drive belt..... everything's got to come off to do that including the swingarm. Hoping I can get another 10K to 15K on everything before I have to do it. Actually the belt still got some real good tension in it so it may go farther than that.... Maybe farther than the clutch

Name:  20190319_080343.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  1.84 MB
    so the tensioner is a manually adjusted ? by the wedges inkervals ?
    how often is it needed ? there must be anmispection port in primary cover eh?
    if you want to observe the actual wear in the chain just grap the top and bottom runs to take out slack and get maximum wrap on the sprockets
    then check how much you can lift the chain up out of the sprockets in a few places like halfway between the wrap
    a new chain and a new or minimally worn sprocket will be still almost ffully seated in the teeth
    a worn chain can be alarmiongly loose back in the wrap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links